AQP?

It's on the wrong side of the Mississippi, otherwise same.

But get your Keister into SEA73NA STAT! I need the seniority bump. Don't make me send Speed Walker after you!
Bid’s in, sir. About to have a “wtf did I just do” series of moments no doubt.

I'll try and run through it from memory:

One Pack is MEL so the highest you can go is FL250
The FA's medlink comm system is down so you have to use the SATCOM
Apparently they made the scenario harder and you had to use DTMF but that changed by the time I saw it.

Flight is ANC - SEA
There are reports of severe icing between 190-220
Right around YAK someone in the back has a medical issue
I called medlink and this was easy for me since almost every flight out of ANC or FAI has some unhealthy person who tries to die
Medlink determines the PAX is fine, for now.
ATC calls for a route change
FAs call and PAX has gotten much, much worse. Medlink recommends a diversion to JNU as there is a state hospital there.
Divert to JNU, ask FO to slow the aircraft down. He was all gouged up and knew he had to do it anyway.
Program FMC for JNU, call dispatch, call FAs make PA
Set up the RNP for 08 weather and winds are good enough for this best option
Descend through severe icing
Captains PITOT caution light
Captains airspeed fails with associated lights/errors
Autopilot disengages
Memory items for unreliable airspeed
Run several page long checklist for unreliable airspeed/FMC is degraded
Switch to LDA 08 and hand build missed approach into FMC
Additional ATC reroute
Build entire approach again and missed
Approach needs to be flown as a VS/LNAV
Still not done with a checklist, can't remember which one
My FO did a great job but when we broke out at 3000' or so I had to talk him through the landing at JNU, since he's a 6 month guy he'd never seen it IRL. I was pretty busy pointing out the lights through the cut, the cut and giving very explicit instruction to not get too high in the turn to final.
I apologized for micromanaging but he didn't mind it's hard to see the lights for the runway in the sim and the flight through the cut is kind of not what you'd expect to see at a major airline...

At the 3/4 point of this monstrosity I just went into triage mode and I didn't build the approach perfectly the second time but I ran out of F's in my F's jar. So we had to identify one waypoint via DME. I got a bit of feedback about that.

I also skipped a waypoint on a J route. During one of the reroutes because it was just direct anyway. Also got feedback about that.

As always I just sat there and said oh yes mighty instructor I have so much to learn through the debrief. When in reality I probably would have just done what our director of safety did and just continue on to SEA. I actually experienced this out of FAI in real life and Medlink just kept us going to SEA. JNU was looking possible but awful and the captain agreed we probably should divert into there.

Lives of the many vs. the few and all.
It was fatiguing just reading this :oops:.

Interesting comment of FSI vs AQP. My recent corporate training experience was horrible compared to brown AQP, but it wasn't FSI, either. I saw old skool training on the 727 and AQP on the 75/76. AQP was faster paced and used more individual computer training vs formal ground schools. Also, no oral, just a written test. I thought AQP was easier in some ways but also way too rushed. CQ followed the same format each year except for attention to "problems areas" that were identified the year before. I guess AQP is what your airline makes of it. Over the years, I saw even AQP dumbed down with things like fewer memory items (which I thought was good). All they gotta do is get it past the feds and they can save millions, I'm sure. End the end, brown didn't even have a formal ground school day for CQ. It was all home study and you show up for two days of sim and that's it. Saved millions.
People still say it’s way too rushed. I do think time constraints get in the way of the demo’s that have to show us. I like the fact that we get in and get out of the box fairly quick but it was eye opening coming from a place that had 1hr for brief, 2-3hr sim session, and another 30mins-1hr for debrief. It was a lot of wasted sim time IMO but things were never rushed unless it was induced by the students or sim MX.

it was eye opening coming from a place that had 1hr for brief, 2-3hr sim session, and another 30mins-1hr for debrief. It was a lot of wasted sim time IMO but things were never rushed unless it was induced by the students or sim MX.

Is that not normal? Here it is 1 hr brf, 4 hr box time (2 if there is a seat sub involved) and probably 10-15 mins of debrief, or maybe a little less if there wasn't much to talk about.

Of course I come from a place where 1 hr brief, 1 hr flight, and 4 hr debrief was the norm :)

I always thought 5am sims were stupid. I have zero processing power at that time of the morning. There are literally no penguins on the iceberg.
I have enough brain cells rubbing together at that hour to make sure I don’t drown in the shower by staring right at the shower head like a chicken in rain…I certainly ain’t good enough for getting through memory items without some struggles

I have enough brain cells rubbing together at that hour to make sure I don’t drown in the shower by staring right at the shower head like a chicken in rain…I certainly ain’t good enough for getting through memory items without some struggles
I’m the opposite. I can do early morning sims. Starting a sim at 11pm? I need a nap in the afternoon before.

I am SO looking forward to redeyes. /s

I am not a morning person...or an evening person...Im more of a 1pm-3pm person. Outside of those times, as long as I havent had a big lunch, you never know what youre gonna get.

Back