AQP?

Is that not normal? Here it is 1 hr brf, 4 hr box time (2 if there is a seat sub involved) and probably 10-15 mins of debrief, or maybe a little less if there wasn't much to talk about.

Of course I come from a place where 1 hr brief, 1 hr flight, and 4 hr debrief was the norm :)
Not at Brown, no brief time is scheduled. Tribal knowledge is knowing to get there 30 mins early. The box time is 2hrs each session. Iirc debrief is 30 mins.

Brown did away with the sim pre-brief when they went to all computer based home study for the "ground school" part of AQP. I do remember the instructors appreciated you coming in 30 min early for day one sims. Day one was with union instructors and day two, the checking day, was always management instructors.

I always thought 5am sims were stupid. I have zero processing power at that time of the morning. There are literally no penguins on the iceberg.

You and me both!

Yet, I fly with guys who love that time slot and bid it as #1.

Not me. I bid the 1pm, 545pm, 9am, and then 5am, in that order.

I’d much rather do a 10pm redeye than a 5 am checkin.

If you have young kids, there ain’t no way going to bed by 7-8pm to get up by 3am. Not gonna happen lol

After I arise at the crack of noon, I hit my peak between 1:47p to 1:52p and lasts for 26 seconds. After that, the breakers pop and, well, try again tomorrow.
There’s a “that’s what she said” in there, but I’m having trouble finding it…

Nah, man. That’s siesta time.
75f59c43-2490-437b-b5ce-16e54b99c0a5_text.gif

After I arise at the crack of noon, I hit my peak between 1:47p to 1:52p and lasts for 26 seconds. After that, the breakers pop and, well, try again tomorrow.
Left to my own devices, I'm one of those horribly annoying morning people and all times after about 2 or 3 pm should be filed under "forget it" for my usefulness, with a second wind around dinnertime.

Though I also like to get some form of exercise first thing in the morning more than doing basically anything that anyone else wants me to do. Don't talk to me until I've had my morning poop, morning spin, a shower and a cup of coffee.

slightly off topic maybe but wasn’t the FAA considering doing away with “memory items” since they so often aren’t remembered properly and lead to more issues??
At my current gig we have to recite them WORD FOR WORD just like the military has with “bold face items” (at my previous gig no one knew a memory item to save their ass) .. all of that is nice but being able to actually DO the items is much more crucial than reciting them!!

Left to my own devices, I'm one of those horribly annoying morning people and all times after about 2 or 3 pm should be filed under "forget it" for my usefulness, with a second wind around dinnertime.

Though I also like to get some form of exercise first thing in the morning more than doing basically anything that anyone else wants me to do. Don't talk to me until I've had my morning poop, morning spin, a shower and a cup of coffee.
Same. I had 2pm briefs this last recurrent and it was struggle bus by the time we got in the box at 4.

slightly off topic maybe but wasn’t the FAA considering doing away with “memory items” since they so often aren’t remembered properly and lead to more issues??
At my current gig we have to recite them WORD FOR WORD just like the military has with “bold face items” (at my previous gig no one knew a memory item to save their ass) .. all of that is nice but being able to actually DO the items is much more crucial than reciting them!!

Great White was like that. When I started, they had a very, very few memorized limitations and zero memorized checklist items. About six months in they got rid of what little they had.

Their overall philosophy was "We make you use a checklist for stuff you do multiple times a day, but we're going to make you memorize stuff you do once every six or 12 months? Nah".

So they had an immediate action card on the glare shield that had what would be "memory items". You snatched it off the glare shield and one side was stuff like engine out or rapid depress, and they had all of the fire/smoke related stuff on the other side (which was red bordered for easy ID). Best part is it also had the page number in their version of the QRH, so you could jump right there.

Basically, their mantra, and it was printed at the top of the card was:
FLY THE AIRCRAFT
Cancel the warning
Identify the problem
Run the checklist
DO NOT HURRY

By and large, they didn't like technique, and they didn't like people doing other people's jobs, because it was too easy to miss something or make the assumption that "the other pilot did it". They most especially didn't like IPs teaching technique, and if they caught you doing that, it was bad.

Everyone stayed in their lane, and you could make the assumption that the other guy was doing what he was supposed to be doing, and for the most part, it ran like clockwork.

Generally, it was the only philosophy I ran into where the first time I saw it I said "huh, that makes sense."

I'll just throw out a little bit of similar insanity. We have maybe a full page of "physiological" related memory items. Hypoxia, cabin depressurization, low mask flow, ECS malfunctions, etc. Yes you read that correctly, these are memory items designed to be remembered and executed when a pilot may be mentally impaired.

I'll just throw out a little bit of similar insanity. We have maybe a full page of "physiological" related memory items. Hypoxia, cabin depressurization, low mask flow, ECS malfunctions, etc. Yes you read that correctly, these are memory items designed to be remembered and executed when a pilot may be mentally impaired.
"Am I breathing and is the flight path under control? Cool, emergency confined for the moment."

Do you still have to brief your fatigue level as part of the preflight brief? I thought that was a little overboard. But I was a freight dawg and it was assumed.

Back