Almost a Commercial Pilot. What to do now?

by the way SUITE is spelled right. Spell checker could not of changed it because it is spelled right. It's the wrong word. sorry i put an "e" on the end of it. but I'm not embarrassed. i'm sorry spelling is not my strong SUIT. and i'm sorry you have nothing better to do than pick on some one for stupid trivial things. you understood what i said. Who cares how it was spelled?!?!?! Yah i know it comes off as uneducated, i really don't care. If you got to know me you might find i'm a very smart person. Just like you might be a very smart educated person, but who would suspect that with a John McCain poster for a signature.

Welcome to jetcareers. We're glad you're here.

A quick thing about JC, is that we're not the typical online forum. We don't hide behind screennames and online personas & anonymity. We tend to be sticklers for grammar & spelling because if you want to be a professional then one needs to start out acting like a professional. MANY, many people have gotten real jobs because of the people they've met here. There are also people who's attitude and "persona" have soiled their name such that there are some airlines where they will never get hired. There are many users on this site who are in a position to affect hiring, either working directly in the recruiting department, or who know who to walk your resume to! A great many of us have met each other in person, and we consider the other users here to be friends & co-workers. Not just screennames on a chat board.

We're not picking on you, in fact if you think we're being nit-picky on you, you should see the things that people say to someone who comes on writing in text-speak! :D So please, please don't take it personally. :) Everybody makes mistakes now and then, but we do expect users here to write & speak (and act!) at an adult level, with decent grammar and no text-speak :)

We also do not allow personal insults, and your comment about the McCain signature is pretty borderline there......

There is a wealth of information and networking to be had here. Welcome, please be a part of our community.

Sorry just making a point. I feel like I was polite and acknowledged peoples concern, and thanked them for it. I also said that spelling was not a concern for me. Maybe they were just trying to help, but after saying, thanks thats not a concern of mine, that should of been it. Maybe it is important, maybe it's not, but to me it's not so who really cares? You all should be happy i'm not willing to learn, because in this competitive job market you, like you stated before, will have an edge in getting a job over me. I can take criticism, and opinion but that was not the point of my original thread. The point was to ask for advice from more experienced people. You know here their story. What they have been through. Thats they way i think this forum is the most useful to ME. Now i now this is a place where people can post their opinions and thats fine but i was not looking for an opinion i was looking for advice. Maybe this site is not for me in that way and i should expect to find criticism on any post no matter how uncontroversial the topic. I've use many different forums and blogs online, and in my defense, i've never EVER had some one talk about my Spelling/Grammer. I don't think i'm "texting". I've never used an LOL, OMG, B4 ect. Yes the MCcain comment was out of line and i'm sorry for that but that's how frustrated i was. This is a daunting path to go down for me. beyond being a CFI i don't know where to go. It is comforting when you have people on your side who offer sound advice and not harsh criticism. Thats what i thought this site was about, or at least that you could find a place on this site where inexperienced people, like my self, can ask dumb questions with out feeling stupid. If i'm wrong, tell me i'm wrong. I don't care but please say it in a respectful manner so as i feel like i'm not being attacked. It's all to easy to really speak your mind with out real threat of anything more than an angry reply from a moderator. It does not work like that in the real world. Say the wrong thing to some one and you may not live to talk about it. I guess all i ask is to be treated with respect and the understanding that i am new to this and uneducated about it. If i've missed the point completely then i'm sorry and i'll quit posting questions like this and try to find a new place to get information.

Hey man...don't take the criticism to heart. You will find that every word you type on this site will be scrutinized by everyone who reads it. With exception to that, you will find this site very useful and entertaining at times. You are doing the right thing by getting that CFI job. The only thing I can ad is this...take your time man. There is no need to rush your way up the ladder! It's like being 15 and wishing you were 18, then missing 15. The journey is the best part. You will meet alot of good people during your instructing and make good contacts. You will also learn to fly a plane like no ones business! I like to tell young SJS guys this...you may have heard it before...
"son, do not run down and %$! one of those cows. Lets walk down and ^%$^! them all." The same can be said for airplanes.

Sorry just making a point. I feel like I was polite and acknowledged peoples concern, and thanked them for it. I also said that spelling was not a concern for me. Maybe they were just trying to help, but after saying, thanks thats not a concern of mine, that should of been it. Maybe it is important, maybe it's not, but to me it's not so who really cares? You all should be happy i'm not willing to learn, because in this competitive job market you, like you stated before, will have an edge in getting a job over me. I can take criticism, and opinion but that was not the point of my original thread. The point was to ask for advice from more experienced people. You know here their story. What they have been through. Thats they way i think this forum is the most useful to ME. Now i now this is a place where people can post their opinions and thats fine but i was not looking for an opinion i was looking for advice. Maybe this site is not for me in that way and i should expect to find criticism on any post no matter how uncontroversial the topic. I've use many different forums and blogs online, and in my defense, i've never EVER had some one talk about my Spelling/Grammer. I don't think i'm "texting". I've never used an LOL, OMG, B4 ect. Yes the MCcain comment was out of line and i'm sorry for that but that's how frustrated i was. This is a daunting path to go down for me. beyond being a CFI i don't know where to go. It is comforting when you have people on your side who offer sound advice and not harsh criticism. Thats what i thought this site was about, or at least that you could find a place on this site where inexperienced people, like my self, can ask dumb questions with out feeling stupid. If i'm wrong, tell me i'm wrong. I don't care but please say it in a respectful manner so as i feel like i'm not being attacked. It's all to easy to really speak your mind with out real threat of anything more than an angry reply from a moderator. It does not work like that in the real world. Say the wrong thing to some one and you may not live to talk about it. I guess all i ask is to be treated with respect and the understanding that i am new to this and uneducated about it. If i've missed the point completely then i'm sorry and i'll quit posting questions like this and try to find a new place to get information.
Dont worry about it. A major goal of this site is to guide "newbies" like you and me to better careers decisions and decisions in general. You can ask dumb questions here(I have asked my share of dumb questions) now that your spelling/grammar is in check. I guess it is just one of the pet peeves of this board.

Brother, did you read MQAAord's post? She summed it up very, very well, and, in a nice manner.

Newbie questions is what this site is about. Ask away. With you though, your message is getting lost in the large single paragraph and lowercase letter style of your writing. Do a search - plenty of guys have asked similar questions and earned respectable, informative answers from the populace.

You have a choice. Bang your head against the wall complaining about something that's not going to change, or listen to experience, adapt, and learn something. It's up to you, but this site is too valuable a resource to blow off because your feelings were hurt.

Look how easy your post is to read with some simple editing. It's really not that hard! Heck, paragraphs alone make it ten times easier on the eyes!

Sorry, I was just making a point. I feel like I was polite and acknowledged people's concerns, and thanked them for it. I also said that spelling was not a concern for me. Maybe they were just trying to help, but after saying, "thanks, that’s not a concern of mine," that should have been it. Maybe it is important, maybe it's not, but to me it's not so who really cares?

You all should be happy I'm not willing to learn, because in this competitive job market you, like you stated before, will have an edge in getting a job over me. I can take criticism, and opinion but that was not the point of my original thread. The point was to ask for advice from more experienced people. You know, their story; what they have been through. That's the way I think this forum is the most useful to ME.

Now I now this is a place where people can post their opinions and that's fine but I was not looking for an opinion, I was looking for advice. Maybe this site is not for me in that way, and I should expect to find criticism on any post no matter how uncontroversial the topic. I've use many different forums and blogs online, and in my defense, I've never, EVER, had someone talk about my spelling or grammar. I don't think I'm "texting". I've never used an LOL, OMG, B4 ect. Yes, the McCain comment was out of line and I'm sorry for that but that's how frustrated I was.

For me, this is a daunting path to go down. Beyond being a CFI I don't know where to go. It is comforting when you have people on your side who offer sound advice and not harsh criticism. That's what I thought this site was about or at least that you could find a place on this site where inexperienced people, like my self, can ask dumb questions without feeling stupid. If I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong. I don't care but please say it in a respectful manner so as I feel like I'm not being attacked.

It's all too easy to really speak your mind without real threat of anything more than an angry reply from a moderator. It does not work like that in the real world. Say the wrong thing to someone and you may not live to talk about it. I guess all I ask is to be treated with respect and the understanding that I am new to this and uneducated about it. If I've missed the point completely then I'm sorry and I'll quit posting questions like this and try to find a new place to get information.

We want you to stick around, but you have to watch knee jerk reactions like this:

It does not work like that in the real world. Say the wrong thing to someone and you may not live to talk about it.

And in the spirit of JC, I'll follow-up with some suggestions in answer to your original post.

agreed. I do have a time line though, for the guaranteed CFI job, August 10th. After that the new students all start flying and the owner needs to start looking at applications from out side the school. That gives me about three weeks to get my commercial certificate, and my MEI (i'm doing th MEI as the first checkride) then a single engine commercial/cfi add on check ride. It's gonna be tight but i think i can do it. right now i have 247 hours total with all the x-countries and night requirements out of the way. i've been doing 2 1/2 hours of ground every day and then flying 3 hours a day as well. I think i can do it, it's just gonna be a lot of work!

agreed. I do have a time line though, for the guaranteed CFI job, August 10th. After that the new students all start flying and the owner needs to start looking at applications from out side the school. That gives me about three weeks to get my commercial certificate, and my MEI (i'm doing th MEI as the first checkride) then a single engine commercial/cfi add on check ride. It's gonna be tight but i think i can do it. right now i have 247 hours total with all the x-countries and night requirements out of the way. i've been doing 2 1/2 hours of ground every day and then flying 3 hours a day as well. I think i can do it, it's just gonna be a lot of work!
Go for it! You can make that deadline. :)

Hey guys, I almost have my commercial pilot's certificate (I take my multi-engine commercial checkride in two weeks) and I'm planning on getting my MEI, CFI, and CFII as well. The school I’m learning from wants to hire me on as a full time CFI in the fall because we have 35 new students this semester and only 6 CFIs. I am planning on teaching but I really want to fly jets.

Good for you for getting those instructor certificates. I think you'll have a blast instructing and you'll learn a lot. It's natural for you want to move on to bigger equipment and more lucrative flying, and starting your career as a CFI is an excellent building block to get where you want to go.

I guess my question is: what is the best way to get there? I know you have to rub shoulders with people but I guess I have not met anyone or have had the opportunity to fly something bigger than a light twin.

The best way? There is no "best" way. There's the way that works for you and quite honestly, there's just the way things happen on their own. You've got the right idea to network. Don't get discouraged, it takes time. Many people have had to CFI for 18-24 months (or longer) before they got that next job.

I talked with a cousin of mine who is a captain with Southwest and he told me to go the recruiter school route (i.e. Jet U. or Gulfstream Academy). I'm not to sure I want to do that or if I really want to fly for an airline. Yes there is good money to be made but it's a long road. I just don't know where to go from a CFI. Thanks for the info!

-Matt

Do a search on Jet U. and Gulfstream. Also check the hot topics. No matter what, it seems an unnecessary expense for you at this point since you are close to your commercial ticket. You can become qualified for any job out there without going to an academy.

Where to go after CFI-ing?

- Networking could put you in the right seat of a part 91/135 turbo prop.
- You could build part 135 minimums and apply to an on-demand freight company.
- You could apply for the regionals (if they're hiring at that point.)
- You could try for a job at one of the big simulation centers and network for a job. (Has been done successfully by a few JCers.)

And that's just a start! Remember, it takes time, so try and be patient. You're on the right track though. Best of luck.

Okay, first: RELAX. Seriously. Nobody is attacking you!

With the grammar/spelling thing, we ask that of EVERYONE, every single member! You are NOT being singled out in that. Even if it's not important to you it is to US. When you join a new community, you don't go in there demanding that others change their ways to accommodate you.

I never accused YOU of using text-speak. I was using it as an example.

There are more repercussions for failure to adhere to our posted Rules than just a nasty note from a moderator. We have a warning/infraction system where if someone is out of line we issue a yellow (or warning) card, if someone is really out of line we issue an infraction (red card) that carries a point value. Usually a red card is one point. 4 points and a user is on the watchlist where a user can post, but all posts must be approved by a mod/admin before they're visible to the general membership. If someone gets really out of had, they (and their IP address ;) )get banned. We DO NOT LIKE to issue infractions, and banning is very rare.

I think you're feeling a bit "attacked", especially with the grammar thing. Please, I'll again say that this is not something that we are "picking" on you for. Whenever pretty much anyone makes a spelling/grammar issue, someone else is usually quick to point it out.

I'll offer my apologies if you feel attacked. Our militance towards grammar/spelling comes from a good place, even it does seem a bit harsh :) Also, please understand that we really are a bit different here than the usual online forums. We're more personal, we're about PEOPLE, and helping others, not proving who's right or having a cool online persona. It's that way on purpose. And we aim to keep it that way. :)

This is a great place to learn, with a range of people who's experience span the entire breadth and depth of aviation.

Again, welcome! Please do stick around. :)

alright i'm just going to drop it. I can't argue with thousands of people and even if i convince one person another will come along and disagree, weather or not i'm right or wrong.

I will say this though, speaking from experience, it is a lot easier to ask questions when you feel comfortable about the response.

Sorry if this became a bigger deal than necessary. If propper punctuation/grammar/spelling will get people off my back then so be it.

again thanks for all the info

-Matt

Yah i know i can't spell worth 2 cents but i really don't care.
-Matt

wow who cares about my spelling man. jeeze. I have much better uses of my time than spell checking forums. for the last time i DON'T care that i'm a terrible speller nor do I care to take the time to correct it. if it's so terrible, and you are having such a tough time understanding my writing then by all means don't read it!

I just highlighted a few key phrases from above. Not to bash you, my friend, but think about how that makes you come across as an aviator. This is a deadly serious business; keen attention to detail and the pursuit of excellence is what sets us apart as professionals. Maybe you're the best stick since Chuck Yeager, and we all know that nobody is perfect, but if you can't present yourself as someone who attempts to improve on weak areas, you aren't going to get very far in the flying community. Just food for thought; I'm here to insulate, not isolate.

Kiddo, I won't bash your spelling because mine isn't all dat great either. My best advise is to read every thread on this forum. Then you may have an idea what to do now; I believe if you can see yourself teaching and enjoy it then do it. Don't do it just for flight time. Would you like to know your instructor is there in that seat next to you hating what he has to do for flight time? Thank the FAA for making it this way.

I'm looking forward to teaching a lot! Since i have a deadline for teaching coming up soon all the commercial ground stuff that i'm doing is all teaching so i'll be ready for the CFI checkride. The school thinks that if i can teach the stuff then the Commercial ride will be a breeze and it will prepare me for the CFI ride.

As far as the spelling goes, i understand that in this competitive field, any thing that sets you apart from other applicants in a negative way is not good. I believe also that it's not the only thing that employers will look at.

The guy who wants to hire me as a CFI has known me since day 1 of flying and has seen me log every hour. He knows what i'm capable of. He knows i'm a bad speller and i still have a job offer.

A CFI job is probably a lot easier to get than a job with an airline or any company for that matter. If i find i can't get a job because of my spelling/grammar then i will go down that road when i get there.

I also realize that spelling/teaching kind of go hand in hand. If a student sees the instructor can't spell right then they might think, what else can't they do right. Fortunately for me teaching is not ALL writing, unlike this forum, so you have the chance to express yourself visually and orally.

Thanks again for all the advice.

-Matt

Back