Almost a Commercial Pilot. What to do now?

Well not to delve in to deep into my personal finances, when i was 17 i made some smart financial decisions witch turned out to be very profitable. My parents and i decided to put the money into trust so i could not touch it until I was 25. My parents wanted me to still get an education so i went to school in Montana in the college of mechanical engineering. last year i found out my school had an aviation program and since it was something i've always wanted to do, i signed up. Now at 23 I'm loving every minute of the flying stuff and i want to go as far as it will take me. Yah i know i'm a bad speller/writer. It's not my strong suite. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been to every tutor i possibly could growing up and i still suck at it. I've learned to accept it and it has never held me back except in English class and, well, this forum. I've always had trouble expressing my self through writing so i express my self other ways. Unfortunately there is no web cam feature on this forum so I'm stuck with typing. I thought this website was to give advice on being a career pilot not to rip on people for their bad spelling/grammer.
-Matt

What's SjS?

Shiny Jet Syndrome = the reason why pilot pay is in the crapper.

You say you have enough money to retire at age 23. So, you got about three million in the bank then? If that is the case then a career in aviation is a sure fire way to deplete that to 1.5 mil.

well i guess i have SjS bad. looks like the cure is waisting a lot of time and money. Oh well i'm still having fun and when it stops being fun i'll find something else.

It is Shiny Jet Syndrome. It is what pilots diagnose people who get awestruck with flying jets and can not settle on anything else. Some one else will explain it better than I am able too.
EDIT: Damn you Stinger!:)

Haha, I just figured I didn't need to explain it really.....the name was enough.:D

I thought this website was to give advice on being a career pilot not to rip on people for their bad spelling/grammer.
-Matt

That is indeed the intention of this site and most of the members. People here are attempting to help you land that next job by informing you of the importance of grammar and spelling. Potential employers have very little to judge you by when they see a resume, but they will chuck it in the nearest trash can if they see spelling and grammar errors, poor format, etc.

A lot of potential jobs and connections to jobs are formed online through websites like this. It pays to portray yourself as a professional (and modest) person as much as possible. These are desirable traits in a professional pilot.

Unfortunately these days a CFI with a couple hundred hours is very uncompetitive. There are literally thousands of unemployed pilots in the US right now, and most of them have far more experience than you or I. You simply have to do whatever it takes to make yourself stand out against the competition.

Consider yourself lucky to have a CFI position. Hopefully you're going to be busy and can build flight time while doing a good job of teaching people how to fly. You also get to learn how to really be an aviator now - teaching is a very rewarding and humbling experience. Good luck!

believe me if i was handing in an application it would be proof read by some one other than my self. When i write a paper for school it usually takes 3-4 drafts before it is acceptable. The great thing about this forum is it's a forum and it does not need to perfect. But i do understand people are trying to help and i appreciate it. I just feel like people like to be over critical in these forums and it erks me.

"irks" is the preferred nomenclature, I believe. Usage: "You irk me. I hope you invest your windfall in a career that doesn't involve me having to deal with you". For example.

Well not to delve in to deep into my personal finances, when i was 17 i made some smart financial decisions witch turned out to be very profitable. My parents and i decided to put the money into trust so i could not touch it until I was 25.

translation: my parents gave me some money to play with, then put it in the bank to also give me later.

[modhat]Personal jabs will not be tolerated. If you have constructive comments/criticism to add to the thread then feel free to do so. If the only comment you can come up with is a dig on an individual, it is better left unsaid. [/modhat]

I'm going to go ahead and guess that it was my apparently radically redacted post that got the flag from the referee. Fair call, I'm sure, but I'm not sure what I said that was against the rulebook. Again, not trying to be an • because I'm told that I don't have to try, but if you could PM me what I said and why it was inappropriate, I'd be grateful.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Hey guys i almost have my commercial pilot's certificate ( i take my multi-engine commercial checkride in two weeks). I'm planing on getting my MEI, CFI, and CFII as well. The school i'm learning from wants to hire me on as a full time CFI in the fall because we have 35 new students this semester and only 6 CFIs. I am planning on teaching but i really want to fly jets. I guess my question is, what is the best way to get there? I know you have to rub shoulders with people but i guess i have not met any one or have got the opportunity to fly something bigger than a light twin. Bill Gate's Global Express flew in today and i was like, man i wish i could be a personal pilot. Any way just wondering about any one's experience with becoming some one's personal Part 91 Pilot. I talked with a cousin of mine who is a captain with South West and he told me to go the recruiter school route (i.e. Jet U. or Gulfstream Academy). I'm not to sure i want to do that or if i really want to fly for an airline. Yes there is good money to be made but it's a long road. I just don't know where to go from a CFI. Tanks for the info!
-Matt

You could almost become a CFI...............:sarcasm:

It's not my strong suite.

Did you know there's a spell checker on this web site? If you spend a minute to spell check your own work before you post it, you'll save yourself a lot of embarrassment. Look for the icon in the upper right hand corner of the message composition box.

wow who cares about my spelling man. jeeze. I have much better uses of my time than spell checking forums. for the last time i DON'T care that i'm a terrible speller nor do I care to take the time to correct it. if it's so terrible, and you are having such a tough time understanding my writing then by all means don't read it!

by the way SUITE is spelled right. Spell checker could not of changed it because it is spelled right. It's the wrong word. sorry i put an "e" on the end of it. but I'm not embarrassed. i'm sorry spelling is not my strong SUIT. and i'm sorry you have nothing better to do than pick on some one for stupid trivial things. you understood what i said. Who cares how it was spelled?!?!?! Yah i know it comes off as uneducated, i really don't care. If you got to know me you might find i'm a very smart person. Just like you might be a very smart educated person, but who would suspect that with a John McCain poster for a signature.

Just like you might be a very smart educated person, but who would suspect that with a John McCain poster for a signature.

Not that I necessarily agree with the statement but.......
kelso_burn.gif

Back