A Little "Lloyd For The Soul" . . .

Awesome news Lloyd! Please don't go and get the big head because you're flying for "Mainline." A simple wave to those of us still on the red team is most appreciated. When ya coming to STL????? We need to celebrate!!!

I had a discussion with FlyChicaga a few months ago about various stuff and one of the issues I brought up was somewhat related.

--------------

So if you're in it to win it, find your "quick", man. Dark days will come and go. Find someone to help you bridge that. It might be another professional pilot up the "food chain". Or even a student pilot with unstoppable motivation. Hell, it might even be that irrepressible bum on the street who even though you've told him "No" a billion times, still raps on your car window for a couple of bucks so he can buy some malt liquor.

>Applause<

It's always darkest before dawn, right?

Now that the music's stopped, I think the guys who still have a chair would do well to stop with the gloating already. Those of us without a chair--or are about to have the chair yanked out from under us--will have to work far harder than you did to get where you are now, if we get there at all.

Thoroughly expecting these comments to be met with the usual "I got mine, sucks to be you" attitude so prevalent in the industry.

I agree that the original intent of the post was not to gloat. Though I'm sure there are some punks out there who do think that way.

Just keep plugging away, something will eventually work out aloft.
What was it that Tom Hanks' character said in CastAway, something like "You gotta keep breathing, tommorow the sun will rise. . . " Something like that. Yeah yeah I know it is clichéd but I think it is true.

All getting kicked in the "berries" jokes aside; I agree with Lloyd. Regardless of where you are in this process, CFI or reserve captain at a legacy, I think many of us would like to be a little further down the road or better off in our careers than where we find ourselves today. I hit my magic 1000 hour and 100 twin in early 2003 but didn't get hired at SkyWest or really any other interview nibbles til the end of 2004. No one was really hiring and I was a little depressed and impatient about it. I have not mentioned it before, but I had a Southernjets interview that didn't work out. That sucked too. But honestly, while life isn't perfect, I still really enjoy flying the Brasilia and though I think I am slowly going deaf, I really like what I do. I'm sure more ups and downs lie ahead, but I would find a similar roller coaster in the non aviation job world too. Just keep going! That's just my two bits.

I for one greatly apreciate other pilots who show some "glass half full" optimisim.

Times are definately tough, we all know it. However sitting around complaining about how terrible things are dosen't help matters any. I hear it all the time waiting on the ramp at DFW. One of our pilots is CONSTANTLY bitching about how low the pay is at our company, and all the stupid things that he has to put up with. Newsflash, I'm in the exact same boat. Right now I'm just very happy that I have a stable job at all.

The bottom line is that I love flying. The fact that I can get paid to do it is great. Eventually things will improve, and bigger and better opportunities will present themselves. The guys who decide to stick out the rough times will be there to reap the rewards durring the next upcycle.

Now that the music's stopped, I think the guys who still have a chair would do well to stop with the gloating already. Those of us without a chair--or are about to have the chair yanked out from under us--will have to work far harder than you did to get where you are now, if we get there at all.

Thoroughly expecting these comments to be met with the usual "I got mine, sucks to be you" attitude so prevalent in the industry.

That's what you got out of Lloyd's first post. WoW! Lloyd would be the last person to gloat.

The only thing I see out of Lloyd's post is that "even in the downturn" of today's airline industry there are bright spots. It is all a matter of choices and how one responds to the situation they are in. One can complain about their situation (the choices they made) or they can choose to make the best of it.

Where one falls in that spectrum is up to the man in the mirror.

Back