A Little "Lloyd For The Soul" . . .

That explains why I see everyone from our class every once and a while but never any of your ATR guys. That and I guess you have your own little cave over there in D concourse. I still don't even know where that is.

Haha, I actually walked around the C concourse the other day for the first time in months and impressed. You guys and your jetways and spiffy flat screen TVs in the lounge. In the gate area it looks just the mainline gate areas! We have it ghetto and old school over on D.

I do look forward to the 700 and having barely anything to do pre-departure due to the ACARS magic. Do you guys even remember how to spin the wheel?:D

I do look forward to the 700 and having barely anything to do pre-departure due to the ACARS magic. Do you guys even remember how to spin the wheel?:D

Yeah, that'll make you lazy. We dont even have to fill out the flight log anymore. I swear next time I get in the airplane my yoke is going to be missing. They keep takin my job away!

I do get to spin the wheel on occasion. Every once and a while you get an ACARS NOCOMM message when you're trying to do the performance. Usually as soon as you've finished doing it the old school way the message goes away. Then you get to hear "SELCAL" yelled at you however many times the captain pressed "send" while you were spinning the wheel.

A lot of people go out of their way to make this a miserable career. we enjoy whining to others, and complaining about how bad it is. For some, it might be horrible. My place in the circle is to make sure that the newbies that are still starry-eyed realize that there are still happy people in this industry.

Well said, whenever I whine about my job my pop always asks one question "does your job involve operating a shovel?" Usually shuts me up pretty quickly

Yeah, that'll make you lazy. We dont even have to fill out the flight log anymore. I swear next time I get in the airplane my yoke is going to be missing. They keep takin my job away!

I do get to spin the wheel on occasion. Every once and a while you get an ACARS NOCOMM message when you're trying to do the performance. Usually as soon as you've finished doing it the old school way the message goes away. Then you get to hear "SELCAL" yelled at you however many times the captain pressed "send" while you were spinning the wheel.

Sounds like a dream. Im writing an email demanding a class date tommorrow:)

We can get the numbers sent to the gate and have the agent print the numbers.

Now that the music's stopped, I think the guys who still have a chair would do well to stop with the gloating already. Those of us without a chair--or are about to have the chair yanked out from under us--will have to work far harder than you did to get where you are now, if we get there at all.

Thoroughly expecting these comments to be met with the usual "I got mine, sucks to be you" attitude so prevalent in the industry.

I don't think it's that at all.
The profession is "ebb and flow" in perpetuity. This will get better and the sun will rise again. The "I got mine and pull up the rope types" generally don't log into internet forums and offer guidance to help smooth out the peaks and valleys.

I know some of my darkest days in the profession were splayed out on the forum so people had an opportunity to learn from what I went through. Some did, some didn't.

I've seen the "I've got mine" and this thread isn't indicative of that whatsoever.

Glad to hear it Lloyd. I always appreciate your positive attitude. I'm pretty happy myself as well, I love not taking work home with me as some of my friends do.
Also please, never change your signature. Handmikes make me so happy.

We can get the numbers sent to the gate and have the agent print the numbers.

That is so beautifully in the spirit of, "It's not lazy, it's efficient!"
icon14.gif

Now that the music's stopped, I think the guys who still have a chair would do well to stop with the gloating already. Those of us without a chair--or are about to have the chair yanked out from under us--will have to work far harder than you did to get where you are now, if we get there at all.

Thoroughly expecting these comments to be met with the usual "I got mine, sucks to be you" attitude so prevalent in the industry.

If you knew Lloyd at all you'd know that's not the intention of this thread, nor anyone else. The industry, on this forum and everywhere else, has been full of people who do nothing but complain lately. Yeah times are tough, but I believe his point, and everyone else's, was that it is still possible to enjoy your job. Yes it will be harder to move up in the near future, but people need to learn to slow down and enjoy where they currently are.

Great to see some "glass half full" comments on here. Always good to be looking for the silver lining. Any time you want to dump some more "Lloyd for the Soul" on us, proceed to dump. :)

I had a discussion with FlyChicaga a few months ago about various stuff and one of the issues I brought up was somewhat related.

I'm on the wrong side of the clock (Good Morniiiiiiing Barthelonaaaa) so none of this may make any sense, but here goes.

A few years ago when I wasn't sure that my paycheck was even going to clear because my employer was in the grips of BK, it was very dark for me. Going to work was hard, commuting sucked and I was slowly starting to morph into that bitter, angry, negative guy that no one wants to deal with.

But I learned to find certain people out there that were also in the profession, were having a great time and started to well, hmm, I guess emotionally "sponge" off of them a little.

The list is long and I'd leave A LOT of guys out but there's many of you here that completely unbeknownst to them helped me keep my head up and assisted me in bridging those dark days until the sun began to shine again and I got through that dark tunnel of uncertainty.

This is completely cheeseball and sounds like self-serving narcissism, but Jetcareers actually saved my aviation career.

If not for some of you guys, here I'd be sitting behind a desk, doing sales, talking at the water cooler about how cool my 'other' job was before I left for stability before some pipsqueak responds with "Snarf, snarf Taylor, you were a pilot, big whoop, now go work on the Johnson report... and you're coming in this weekend too."

I'm absolutely certain that before I retire or quit to join the amateur adult movie circuit (that's a joke, folks), I'll go thru that abyss a few more times, it's just the way this and many other professions work.

So if you're in it to win it, find your "quick", man. Dark days will come and go. Find someone to help you bridge that. It might be another professional pilot up the "food chain". Or even a student pilot with unstoppable motivation. Hell, it might even be that irrepressible bum on the street who even though you've told him "No" a billion times, still raps on your car window for a couple of bucks so he can buy some malt liquor.

that irrepressible bum on the street who even though you've told him "No" a billion times, still raps on your car window for a couple of bucks so he can buy some malt liquor.

And then give him some money...damnit I NEED it!

Very well put though Dough...as usual. And dont be jealous....but I'm in Dayton in a dirty Holiday inn. Barcelona is nothing! :p

Lloyd's just afraid he's forgotten how to actually fly an airplane. He NEEDS those autothrottles. Just like he's going to NEED a 3 drink handicap when he comes to STL. :D

Back