1500hrs quantity<quality

I’m one of the weird ones that doesn’t hate briefings. Some can be too long, but I think the goal should be verification of data entry, making sure everyone has the same expectations, and briefing anything that’s unusual about the airport and the way you’re going to fly it.

My current place is way different than my regional days where we went into the same airports all the time. There are a few airports with 10 pages of operations notes regarding speeds, noise abatement, time on the runway, reverse thrust, etc. So “this airplane, that runway” doesn’t always cover it.

I’m one of the weird ones that doesn’t hate briefings. Some can be too long, but I think the goal should be verification of data entry, making sure everyone has the same expectations, and briefing anything that’s unusual about the airport and the way you’re going to fly it.

My current place is way different than my regional days where we went into the same airports all the time. There are a few airports with 10 pages of operations notes regarding speeds, noise abatement, time on the runway, reverse thrust, etc. So “this airplane, that runway” doesn’t always cover it.

Agreed. International ops with large airplanes involves some pretty significant differences compared to the regional days. This doesn’t mean it has to be ridiculously long, but there are some things that need to be covered for sure.

I'm having flashbacks to this one time it was my leg to fly from Denver to San Diego and this worry wort of a Captain, who is most decidedly on "the list" starts briefing me at the gate in Denver about my landing in Dago. It continued most of the way through the take off and climb, stopping temporarily as he queried Denver center about some storms near Vegas that had dissipated several hours before (had he been bothered to look at the weather in Denver, rather than tell me how I was going to fly the approach). By the time we got about to Vegas, I was tired of hearing all this, and plain and simply told him I wanted him to take control and compete the leg, or stop telling me how to fly. He looked at me for about 3 seconds and that was the end of the worst briefing of all time.

I'm having flashbacks to this one time it was my leg to fly from Denver to San Diego and this worry wort of a Captain, who is most decidedly on "the list" starts briefing me at the gate in Denver about my landing in Dago. It continued most of the way through the take off and climb, stopping temporarily as he queried Denver center about some storms near Vegas that had dissipated several hours before (had he been bothered to look at the weather in Denver, rather than tell me how I was going to fly the approach). By the time we got about to Vegas, I was tired of hearing all this, and plain and simply told him I wanted him to take control and compete the leg, or stop telling me how to fly. He looked at me for about 3 seconds and that was the end of the worst briefing of all time.

I had to do that once too. "You're the captain, if you don't think I can fly this leg then by all means take over."

I had to do that once too. "You're the captain, if you don't think I can fly this leg then by all means take over."

I had to do that YESTERDAY. Keeping in mind I've got 16,000 hours in 9+ types including several thousand in this type (737) at two airlines. Heavy takeoff off a short runway, and he starts coaching me on what to do if we lose an engine. "Lower the nose, let it accelerate, don't get too close to VMC, which is V2 minus 15..."

This went on for a while. Finally I just offered him the leg. I get paid the same either way and if he flies I don't need to listen to amateur flight instruction from someone who isn't a check airman.

So… I’ve been absent from aviation for the last 7 years or so. When I stopped paying attention, we were all debating the Quality over quantity topic since the 1500 hour rule was fairly new. So now that the “rule” has been around for awhile, I’m curious how the airlines are viewing quality over quantity. I’ve hear of guys flying their own airplane all over to build time. How are the airlines viewing this? Do they even care? **note** I understand COVID has changed a few hiring trends. I’m just trying to get a general idea of how the airlines view the quality of 1500 hours in an applicants logbook. Aside from checking all other ATP requirements, does laps around your home field in your 6gph c150 make any difference to the regionals?
We had a 1500 Skyhawk applicant at Horizon. I don't know if he was hired, but I know the training department wasn't in favor of it.

Stepping into the realm of opinion, I think airlines want to see career growth and skill development. Skyhawk time is fine for a pilot with 300 hours. By 1500 hours they want to see the type of experience that gives them confidence the pilot can make the transition to an E175 or Dash 8. 1500 hours and a Commercial certificate that was issued last week probably isn't going to cut it.

1500 hours and a Commercial certificate that was issued last week probably isn't going to cut it.

5-10 years ago? Maybe.
Last year. Sure.

2016 to 19? 2021? It is exactly what they are looking for. And taking by the droves.

I had to do that YESTERDAY. Keeping in mind I've got 16,000 hours in 9+ types including several thousand in this type (737) at two airlines. Heavy takeoff off a short runway, and he starts coaching me on what to do if we lose an engine. "Lower the nose, let it accelerate, don't get too close to VMC, which is V2 minus 15..."

This went on for a while. Finally I just offered him the leg. I get paid the same either way and if he flies I don't need to listen to amateur flight instruction from someone who isn't a check airman.
Well the CKAM is just gonna "fly it by the book"...

Well the CKAM is just gonna "fly it by the book"...

What book? Sure ain’t our FOM or Flight Handbook.

Scarily, it cuts both ways. I had a FO adamantly tell me I couldn’t do something, even though it’s what we’ve done, most everyone does, and nothing prevents it. He was a stickler for it. Wanting to be conservative when there’s a disagreement, I went with his thing. If I don’t know for sure, my technique is to fall on the conservative action and then look it up later. The next day I told him I tried to look it up and couldn’t find it, so could he tell me where he’s getting it from? He couldn’t find it either. He did say they did it that way at his previous carrier, which surprise surprise, was a corporate operator. So I mentioned the difference between published procedure vs technique which I don’t think he liked.

What book? Sure ain’t our FOM or Flight Handbook.

Scarily, it cuts both ways. I had a FO adamantly tell me I couldn’t do something, even though it’s what we’ve done, most everyone does, and nothing prevents it. He was a stickler for it. Wanting to be conservative when there’s a disagreement, I went with his thing. If I don’t know for sure, my technique is to fall on the conservative action and then look it up later. The next day I told him I tried to look it up and couldn’t find it, so could he tell me where he’s getting it from? He couldn’t find it either. He did say they did it that way at his previous carrier, which surprise surprise, was a corporate operator. So I mentioned the difference between published procedure vs technique which I don’t think he liked.

you will follow his techcedure!

Back