The lateral move

Nice, there are so many C5 peeps on here....

I was thinking about that the other day. Isn't it funny how the general population will have eleventy million guys from one airline...yet damn near nobody from others?

Colgan was a popular one here. But Mesa....*crickets*.

I NEVER actually see a Gojet pilot. In the flesh or online. They obviously exist, because I see their planes moving. But man they're good at hiding.

I wish this were the case.

I get what he's saying though.

If you get 1000TPIC and get furloughed. Starting over at another regional isn't as stressful because you have all the significant boxes checked. But for someone who is a 6 year f/o, when their shop shuts down and they're starting over...it could very well be another 6+ years to even ATTEMPT to get TPIC.

I get what he's saying though.

If you get 1000TPIC and get furloughed. Starting over at another regional isn't as stressful because you have all the significant boxes checked. But for someone who is a 6 year f/o, when their shop shuts down and they're starting over...it could very well be another 6+ years to even ATTEMPT to get TPIC.
True.

I personally have the wierd situation where I have all the boxes checked except one. The easiest one to get(total time) Doh. I can't even go to career fairs for Spirit because they require 4000TT to participate.

Clearly TPIC isn't everything, but I get where you are coming from.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Lot of good advice here. Doug is right, networking, hard work, along with a good attitude are really what gets you ahead in not just this industry, but pretty much everywhere in life. Lazy people often call this "luck" bc they don't want to admit they're lazy.

As for leaving C5, I don't know I'd probably just wait get some PIC time. But there's also the musical chairs school of thought, basically work quickly and hard to get where you want to be and keep moving forward. Like if the industry slows down again like it did in 2008 (most regionals were this desperate prior) I'm guessing you'd rather be stuck at a better regional than C5? At the very least because of the pay... I wouldn't recommend RAH though, the situation is very fluid here and our pay isn't that much better than C5, at least our current contract. Xjet or AE have much stronger contracts, but circling back to the what you said I see you probably don't want to commute.

Meh, I'd just wait it out.

Another thing to consider is the current regional hiring situation. If you go somewhere that has 2000 total pilots, they're going to have to find 1000 pilots to come in behind you in order for you to upgrade. At C5 they only need to find about 110 pilots to come in behind you.

A new hire explained that for his reasoning in coming here, and I never thought of it that way. He had offers from every other regional out there but chose C5 because of that and our bases. Wise choice? Who knows. Check back in 5 years.

Another thing to consider is the current regional hiring situation. If you go somewhere that has 2000 total pilots, they're going to have to find 1000 pilots to come in behind you in order for you to upgrade. At C5 they only need to find about 110 pilots to come in behind you.

A new hire explained that for his reasoning in coming here, and I never thought of it that way. He had offers from every other regional out there but chose C5 because of that and our bases. Wise choice? Who knows. Check back in 5 years.

That's completely logical. If I can get to captain and begin working on the four year degree, even slowly, I'll be better shape. After seeing the light in terms of education and career, I decided I needed to be at my first airline by 30, I'll set my sights on major or national by 40.

Here's the part that a lot of people leave off when considering distance education.

Your best time to finish the degree was "yesterday" and as you move forward, the opportunity and availability gets harder.

As you increase in seniority in the FO seat, your schedule will get better and then you start 'tickling' captain seniority. Once you hit captain, you're probably going to be back on reserve and no longer have the reliable off-day patterns to complete your distance learning program.

The regional airline system, may or may not last another five years as we know it. It could go on indefinitely, but if you look at the last few years of what has been going on with that level, it's anyone's guess and you may find yourself back on the job market sooner than anticipated.

Please, I beg you, don't spend an inordinate amount of time planning on a long-term career at the regionals in order to have time to get all your ducks in a row. Get your ducks in a row NOW.

Here's the part that a lot of people leave off when considering distance education.

Your best time to finish the degree was "yesterday" and as you move forward, the opportunity and availability gets harder.

As you increase in seniority in the FO seat, your schedule will get better and then you start 'tickling' captain seniority. Once you hit captain, you're probably going to be back on reserve and no longer have the reliable off-day patterns to complete your distance learning program.

The regional airline system, may or may not last another five years as we know it. It could go on indefinitely, but if you look at the last few years of what has been going on with that level, it's anyone's guess and you may find yourself back on the job market sooner than anticipated.

Please, I beg you, don't spend an inordinate amount of time planning on a long-term career at the regionals in order to have time to get all your ducks in a row. Get your ducks in a row NOW.

This.

I decided I'd start working and finish my degree "eventually." Eventually was 6 years to knock out the one class I had left.

Life gets busy.

You're 5 months in at a place with a 24-month upgrade? I'd stick it out if I were you.

Then again, I'm a 3rd year FO at a place with a 12-year upgrade.

tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg

Apparently the junior Capt at PSA next July has not been hired yet
I lol'd.

You're 5 months in at a place with a 24-month upgrade? I'd stick it out if I were you.

Maybe, maybe not. C5 may be the next airline joining great lakes and silver in upgrade stagnation land.

This industry is jacked up. That is all I know for certain.

Back