Western Global and iAero: Applying to Bankrupt Airlines

BRUSR_ONE

Is Western Global a place I should try and get into? They're cargo, HQ'd down in Florida (Naples area). My instructor said they've hired a couple ADTC grads in the past. But I read that they filed Chapter 11 a few months ago because they're waaay underwater in debt. I'm wondering if that is a bad thing for trying to get a job. I'd hate t move across the country for a job and come to work one day to find the doors locked! I know Florida is kind of expensive these days so I don't know if I can afford it. Also I'm wondering if they would take a new Dispatcher since they run a lot of international which I have no training for.

Another one is iAero. They filed chapter 11 bankruptcy at the end of September but they still have a Dispatch opening at their NC headquarters. But again I don't know if their financial problems should be a red flag. They are claiming at least $500,000 in debt and $50,000 in assets. That does not sound good!

Still making my way thru the class, I should have my ticket in a few weeks but I've been starting to apply.

Last edited:
They filed for bankruptcy a few months ago and all my pilot friends I know are leaving for Legacy Carriers or OMNI.

I'd stay away personally. Better to go with the established carriers. Cargo isn't doing well right now as a whole. Fedex/UPS won't be hiring for quite a while.

Western expects 150k effort and only pay like 45k. 12 hour shift with no overlap. No travel benefits till you’re signed off (which can take 6-8 months). Toxic managers who ask you to do some very sketchy things. IMO steer clear. Any regional would give you a much better experience and set you up better for success.

As mentioned above, definitely would be a better move going to a regional over most cargo ops at the moment. For a brief moment ULCC's were taking folks right out of school but I'd think those days might be over. Find somewhere you wouldn't mind working at for at least 1-3 years given current hiring trends.

Back