You are the captin

FutureAviator

You are the captin and you are to be at the airport by 8 am and you wake up at 8:35 am. What would you do ?

All those commercial airlines pilot how would you make sure that you're alarm clock will ring on the time you set it to. What if your alarm clock is connected to a electric circuit and theres a blackout and what if the batteries die out what would you do to make sure you will have to wake up at the time you need to?

multiple alarms, and that dang First Officer had better have your back.....
bandit.gif

Rule #1: Always carry and use your own battery powered travel alarm clock.

Rule #2: Use your cell phone/pager as your back-up battery powered alarm

Rule #3: Do not EVER rely on hotel wake-up calls

Rule #4: Do not rely on hotel alarm clocks

If your two battery powered alarms fail you. You do the best you can. I once woke up in my crash pad 1/2 hour before my show time. D'Oh! I made it to the airplane 10 minutes before departure. This included getting dressed, packing my bag, taking the El to ORD, getting through security, signing in at ops, and getting to the plane. Not bad. The flight did not take a delay because of me, the flight was late, but the CA's inbound flight was delayed, which delayed us.

Also if you're coming out of an overnight and you're not downstairs at van time, you'll get a call from the rest of the crew. When this happens, you can usually be downstairs in 5 minutes or less.

Happened to me Christmas of last year! Overnight in Austin, Texas. I got a new fangled Palm Pilot as a present and decided to use it as my alarm clock.... silly me didn't think about the Palm Pilot not following time zones like my cell phone does.

Ring- the phone wakes me up.
"that's funny, I didn't order a wake-up call..." "hello"
"Mr. Bena, this is the front desk, your crew is ready to go and wondering if your coming down..."

D'oh!! I told them to go on and I'd take the next shuttle.. on my way to the airport, I heard my Palm Pilot alarm going off in my flight case in the back of the van!!

Thank God for a competent FO!! We still left on time!!!

Well, I can sure as heck tell you what happens if you're an F/O on probation and you miss a flight (even a non-revenue training flight)...
banghead.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can sure as heck tell you what happens if you're an F/O on probation and you miss a flight (even a non-revenue training flight)...
banghead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

let it go man ;-) things will work out.

I have a battery powered travel clock which I set.

Then I set my alarm on my watch.

Then I set the hotel clock.

Then I arrange a wakeup call.

I also set my cellular telephone to ring at a certain time.

What actually happens? The wakeup call never comes, the hotel alarm doesn't work right, my phone and travel alarm ring perfectly, and my watch serves as a backup.

The hotel wakeup call is highly unreliable. Also, the only thing a hotel alarm clock is good for is a bright LED so you can see what time it is at night.

I use my cell phone as my alarm clock. I always keep it charged and it has yet to fail me. Hotel alarm clocks and wake-up calls should be treated only as a BACKUP for a tried-and-true system of your own.

This is also why, at check in, I write down the room numbers of my fellow crewmembers. That way, should any one of us not be in the lobby at van time, a quick phone call can clear it right up.

Last but not least, be honest about it. If you have to, call in and admit your mistake, then get to the airport ASAP. Better that everybody knows what's going on.

Our company has a policy that the senior crewmember present will call scheduling five minutes after show time if any crewmember is not present. At that time scheduling will call the missing person ... 9 times out of 10 they are waiting at security or there was a car accident on the freeway or the employee shuttle is running slow, and they are there within five minutes or so anyway.

Pretty traditional at my company too. I'll write my room number and pickup time on the captain's key card jacket and vice versa AND the time zone.

I the captain calls me at 0700 asking "Are you going to make pickup?"

I looked at my watch and at my hotel clock and said, "Yup! see ya then!"

Five minutes later...

"Hey, are you coming down?"

"Yup! 0800 is the pickup time!"

*click*

Phone rings

"Hey, don't worry, the van isn't here anyway, are you running late?"

"Captain..."

"Yes?"

"It's 0715...We're in the central time zone!"

*doh!*

Forget setting the alarm clock. . . . just don't go to sleep. Then you'll never have to worry about waking up on time!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Forget setting the alarm clock. . . . just don't go to sleep. Then you'll never have to worry about waking up on time!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
just about falling asleep on the job
cwm27.gif

Back