WSJ: Airline-Pilot Shortage Arrives Ahead of Schedule

M20B_pilot

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304851104579361320202756500.html
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304851104579361320202756500.html

Well fellows, it is finally upon us! LOL :sarcasm:

Airline-Pilot Shortage Arrives Ahead of Schedule
Pilot Retirements and New Rules on Training and Rest Hurt More Than Expected
By
Susan Carey and
Jack Nicas
connect
Feb. 3, 2014 8:15 p.m. ET

The anticipated shortfall of U.S. airline pilots is coming to fruition earlier and more dramatically than expected because of a mix of mass retirements, the FAA's new rest rules and sharply higher training requirements for beginner pilots. Jack Nicas reports on the News Hub. Photo: AP.

A shortage of qualified pilots has hit U.S. airlines sooner and more severely than expected, leading the airlines to accelerate hiring and cut some service.

The shortage flows from both a long-anticipated wave of pilot retirements and recently enacted rules that require an increase in training for new pilots and more rest for existing aviators at passenger airlines.

Regional airlines—which offer meager starting pay and tend to lose pilots to major carriers—have so far been affected the most, but that is having knock-on effects at the big airlines, which rely on their smaller cousins to ferry passengers on shorter routes.

The problems are evident in recent announcements from two U.S. airlines at opposite ends of the spectrum. Great Lakes Aviation Ltd. GLUX +6.25% , a 32-year-old carrier based in Cheyenne, Wyo., says it suspended flights to six small cities in the Upper Midwest on Saturday "due to the severe industrywide pilot shortage and its relative acute impact."

The airline is the sole carrier on those routes, which include such towns as Jamestown, N.D., and Mason City, Iowa. It said it hopes to resume flights when it can "rebuild our staff of pilots in order to provide reliable service."

Meanwhile, United Continental Holdings Inc. UAL +0.34% said Saturday that it plans to cut 60% of its flights from its Cleveland hub by June. Big airlines have been shutting their smallest hubs for financial reasons for years, and United blamed the decision partly on weak demand in Cleveland, which it said hasn't been profitable in more than a decade.

But United also said regional-airline partners "are beginning to have difficulty flying their schedules due to reduced new-pilot availability." The shortage has forced United "to reduce [regional-airline] flying in our most unprofitable markets, which unfortunately are out of Cleveland," Chief Executive Jeff Smisek said in an employee memo.

"Communities large and small will lose air service due to the shortage of pilots," added Roger Cohen, president of the Regional Airline Association trade group. While the RAA has raised concerns for the past two years, he said, the problem "has happened much sooner and much more significantly than anyone predicted."

Under congressional mandate, the Federal Aviation Administration began in August requiring most newly hired pilots to have at least 1,500 hours of prior flight experience, up from the previous minimum of 250 hours. The rule raised the costs and time necessary to train new aviators. An additional FAA rule that took effect last month gave passenger-airline pilots more rest, requiring carriers to hire about 5% more pilots to maintain current service levels.

Meanwhile, thousands of senior pilots at major airlines are hitting the mandatory retirement age of 65 years old because of heavy hiring in the 1980s and relatively thin hiring over the past decade. Those airlines are hiring pilots away from the regional carriers, which in turn are struggling to find new recruits with adequate experience.

Mr. Cohen said that in the six months since the pilot-training rules took effect, it has become clear that the regional airlines' "ability to continue to fly [their] schedules will be a challenge." Students who just graduated from aviation colleges "now need to go spend the next two years flying around in circles" to build up 1,500 hours, he said.

Kit Darby, a retired pilot who consults on pilot-hiring trends, said the airline industry neared a pilot shortage in 2000 and again in 2007, but drops in demand after the 2001 terror attacks and the 2008 recession delayed the problem. Now, he said, with demand healthy and airlines expanding, the new rest and training rules "pretty much guarantee a shortage."

Related
Mr. Darby forecasts 2,650 pilot retirements at major airlines in 2020, compared with 560 retirements in 2012. In response, big carriers are already recalling furloughed pilots and stepping up hiring.

United said last fall that it intended to recall nearly 600 furloughed pilots, in part to replace the roughly 330 pilots who are retiring each year—a rate the airline expects to increase soon. Delta Air Lines Inc. DAL +1.91% has already recalled all its furloughed aviators who want to return, and it said it plans to add about 50 pilots a month through early this year and then take 20 a month through September.

Neil Roghair, vice president of the Allied Pilots Association, which represents 8,800 American Airlines pilots, estimates that half of American's pilots will leave the company in the next eight to 10 years. The union expects 25 pilots to retire each month by 2018 and 60 to 70 to retire each month in the early part of the next decade. "We'll have to hire 100 pilots a month to keep up," said Mr. Roghair. American and US Airways merged in December to form American Airlines Group Inc. AAL +0.27% The average American pilot is 53 years old, and US Airways pilots are a similar age.

American has said it expects to need to hire 1,500 new pilots over the next five years to make up for retirements, training demands and its fleet renewal. A spokesman said the airline received 10,000 applications for those jobs in just six weeks, including 1,000 from its own regional partner, highlighting how easy it is for the major airlines to poach pilots.

Mr. Darby said regional airlines have boosted pilot recruitment, including offering $5,000-to-$10,000 signing bonuses. Despite that, starting annual pay at most remains low, often $16,000 to $25,000—a bitter pill for a pilot who has paid $75,000 to $150,000 to be trained.

He also said some regional airlines are hiring candidates they would previously have ruled out because of résumé flaws such as criminal convictions, bad grades and training failures. "There are still people with backgrounds they won't hire," he said. "But [airlines] are taking a lot longer look at some and hiring some people they previously wouldn't have."

John Thomas, head of the aviation practice at L.E.K. Consulting, said the airline industry will need to make bigger changes to address the problem. "They will have to own the problem that traditionally has fallen on other parts of the industry," such as offering company-sponsored training programs to young aviators, as some Asian and European airlines already do.

Some in the industry have argued for more flexibility within the FAA's 1,500-hour rule. FAA Administrator Michael Huerta testified to Congress last month that the agency "has struck the appropriate balance" on flexibility by allowing military pilots and college graduates who majored in aviation to be eligible to fly a commercial passenger plane with fewer hours of experience.

The pilot shortage isn't restricted to the U.S. airline industry. The U.S. Air Force said it projects it will have a shortage of 400 fighter pilots within three years. Last year, the Air Force boosted fighter-pilot salaries to try to attract more pilots, and it may consider a similar program this year, a spokeswoman said.

Write to Susan Carey at susan.carey@wsj.com and Jack Nicas at jack.nicas@wsj.com

Perfect answer. Done. Case closed.

Now back to my question (Hi jack)....

"Mr. Darby said regional airlines have boosted pilot recruitment, including offering $5,000-to-$10,000 signing bonuses."

Who (which regional airline) is offering a $10,000 signing bonus?

If we all wait for @Kit Darby to respond this thread might die.
So can anyone confirm this $10,000 bonus? Or can we all assume that is a false (inaccurate) statement.

Perfect answer. Done. Case closed.

Now back to my question (Hi jack)....

"Mr. Darby said regional airlines have boosted pilot recruitment, including offering $5,000-to-$10,000 signing bonuses."

Who (which regional airline) is offering a $10,000 signing bonus?

If we all wait for @Kit Darby to respond this thread might die.
So can anyone confirm this $10,000 bonus? Or can we all assume that is a false (inaccurate) statement.

I think the AE pipeline program has a tuition reimbursement that's worth around 10k

There isn't. If they paid decent there would be guys lining up to fly 121.

Yeah... I think that arguments a bit disingenuous. I mean, by that criteria there's never a shortage of anything. What most people mean when they say there's a shortage is that there's a significant change in the pilot supply.

I get what you're saying, but when an airline literally shuts down parts of its schedule due to a staffing issue, I'm not sure how you can say there's not a change in the pilot supply unlike anything we've seen previously.

I'll believe there is a pilot shortage when I get multiple offers from legacy carriers.

I don't see a pilot shortage. I do see a salary problem keeping the bottom feeders from finding qualified pilots.

I would posit that is about the same thing though.

Call me a "fan boi" or that I'm drinking coolaid, but when you're in the training department, and they are talking about needing 40+ MORE guys to cover the flying at one domicile, and they are filling, or nearly so classes, I'd say there is one. The reason that you haven't seen the majors fall all over themselves yet to hire is because retirements haven't really started yet. Give it some time. It's only the beginning. Numbers don't lie.

A perfect storm is brewing. With the 1500 hour rule, the new requirements for the ATP written, and retirements. Just wait a little while. When it hits full speed, it's going to get ugly. It all starts at the bottom and works its way up. And it's all ready started at the bottom.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
Long time lurker here, finally getting around to posting! I do not know if I fully believe in a shortage or not. I know that I am within about 40 hours of 1500, and I am not in any kind of rush to apply or interview at any airlines. Right now I am flying survey, and am quite happy with that. Now if the pay was raised to something livable, then that might change...

If I could live the rest of my days without seeing one more news article referencing Kit Darby, Sully, or Roger Cohen, I would die a happy man.

I rarely see Sully being referenced in these types of articles unless they have something to do with safety. Now the other two? All the time. They are the regional airline recruiting departments best, free PR team.

I dont mind reading about what Sully has to say because that dude has earned respect.

I get what you're saying, but when an airline literally shuts down parts of its schedule due to a staffing issue, I'm not sure how you can say there's not a change in the pilot supply unlike anything we've seen previously.
Just a convenient scapegoat. Says right there the route is not profitable. That equates to a financial management issue, not pilot staffing.

Yeah... I think that arguments a bit disingenuous. I mean, by that criteria there's never a shortage of anything. What most people mean when they say there's a shortage is that there's a significant change in the pilot supply.

Call me a "fan boi" or that I'm drinking coolaid, but when you're in the training department, and they are talking about needing 40+ MORE guys to cover the flying at one domicile, and they are filling, or nearly so classes, I'd say there is one. The reason that you haven't seen the majors fall all over themselves yet to hire is because retirements haven't really started yet. Give it some time. It's only the beginning. Numbers don't lie.

A perfect storm is brewing. With the 1500 hour rule, the new requirements for the ATP written, and retirements. Just wait a little while. When it hits full speed, it's going to get ugly. It all starts at the bottom and works its way up. And it's all ready started at the bottom.

1. When I was looking for a job a few months ago no one was like "we're so short that I'm gonna pay you $50,000 to sit in this seat". Still the same crappy wages. Until I see wage increases there isn't a shortage of anything.

2. At my airline at least, part of this "shortage" is due to mismanagement. For a year they hired no one. I don't know where they stand on training captains but people are waiting 3+ weeks to start IOE. For a year they didn't upgrade any flight instructors so the new hires they do have are taking 3+ months just to get done with sims, and we lose a TON of money on cancelled sims from lack of instructors, a TON. They knew the regs were coming and did absolutely nothing to address it. NOTHING. This is simple mismanagement.

3. In 6 years every 50 seat jet in this country will be parked, and they are not being replaced 1:1 by 70-90 seat "regional jets". Also I would point out that currently except for Skywest and Compass those new jets are going to the likes of responsible corporate citizens like PSA and Mesa. A few people on the board even said you might as well go there, because they're growing regionals where you'll make more in 4 years than you would at XJT or SKW anyway, which is funny because PSAs new and improved contract flatlines FO pay at 4 years. On top of that the 50 seat places with decent contracts like Eagle, XJT and Air Whiskey are being bled by the major for being "too expensive" and are not being "given any new flying" so there's that. Edit: Folks will counter with these airlines have some pretty lengthy contracts with their major, like past 2020 long term. If people think that United couldn't park every jet at XJT tomorrow just because they want to, then they're delusional.

4. They are simply going to cut service, sorry Elmira, NY Joplin, MO, Peoria, IL and Eau Claire, WI, capitalism has decided that ya'll can drive 3+ hours to the nearest larger airport because we don't wan't to pay people enough money to make it worth it to show up to work and go flying. In addition frequencies will go down, no more hourly service from Erie, PA or Savannah, GA down to the hub. I'm exaggerating greatly, but you get it. By reducing the schedule they can, overnight, reduce the amount of pilots needed.

5. All it takes is Congress to lessen licensing requirements for new flyers and bam, artificial "shortage" over. Believe me, there are industry lobbyists right now telling Congress that they need to reduce the 1500 hour rule, and this will only get worse once constituents start moaning and groaning as smaller cities continue to lose service over the next few years, see 4.

I mean they are literally parking airplanes so that they don't have to pay people a decent wage. I hope I'm wrong and something good happens for all the hardworking people, flight crew and otherwise, but I sincerely doubt it. On top of that this effects the average citizen whose city will lose service. Sucks, but that's capitalism.

Last edited:
Back