Which way to go?

Dav8rman

Super Trooper.
So it takes a lot of courage to come out in front of everyone and admit your mistakes - but I need advice at this point in my life/career - so here goes :)

I was 19 - had been instructing for a little over a month - and made a mistake on one of my students endorsement. A week later I was let go from my position :( In hindsight, it was a mistake that could have easily been averted - but it happened. I've been instructing with my current employer for almost 4 years and have an excellent record here - I would like to think I took steps to make up for the mistake I made when I was younger, but I don't think anything I do will completely make up for it. That mistake combined with my 2 checkride failures (CFI- ground, Multi - flight) have made me unemployable it seems.

I interviewed with a reputable regional a few months ago - made it through the interview, got a pre-offer, but two months down the road received the 'thanks, but no thanks' letter. Turned out I didn't make it through the captains review board - and although the letter didn't say why I wasn't hired - It was certainly not because of my performance on the interview(got the offer after the interview ^ :). Its hard to say exactly what it could've have been - but there is a fairly good chance it was because of my past. I've heard of people getting hired with dui's, criminal records, but I haven't heard of many instructors with a situation/past similar to mine - It would be nice to hear if anyone has insight into this situation.

I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent/practical person - and am not oblivious to the dynamics at play in the aviation industry at this time. I understand things are picking up, airlines are hiring, most of the high time pilots are off the streets, and depending on the way the ATP requirement plays out - there might truly be a shortage of pilots in the near future. But all it takes is an exemption to the rule (which is in play at this moment), that will allow students from collegiate programs to get hired with 500-800TT, and we're back to a flooded pilot pool with me on the bottom. Don't get me wrong, I do understand how airlines view the situation as well - since Colgan - in the case of an incident, a pilots past will come under extreme scrutiny, and airlines are trying to limit their liability if it comes down to that.

Currently I meet most regional airline minimums (double actually), have a good network and have at least one recommendation at every regional I've applied for (and I've applied at every regional hiring). But I haven't heard a peep, and I know the common consensus here will be to wait it out and stay strong - but guys its hard watching your instrument students get hired while you wait for that phone call (not joking - it has happened). I guess I'm trying to decide if its truly worth it for me to wait it out given my past - or count my blessings - thank god that I had a fun journey in aviation - and move on. I will be finishing a graduate degree in business in two months - and I've already interviewed at a few places (some where I am likely to make it through the entire recruitment process). The starting salary at most of these places is more than triple what I would make at a regional - and although that should be more than most on here would need to hear before they tell me to 'go for it' :) I can't help being drawn to sticking it out with aviation - after all I've been working my butt of to make this dream of becoming a pilot come true (although it might be a sunk cost now).

I feel like I'm ranting now - but I'm open to any thoughts, opinions, advice, that anyone here can provide. Some people reading this might even recognize me - but if you do - please keep it anonymous. I apologize if my voice in this blog took a negative tone, the intent was to remain neutral and objective.

Not saying to lie, but the truth not always means the whole truth. How much time was there between jobs? Also, is the first job really going to say you were fired, call them act like someone calling on a reference and see what they say. If they say nothing, then dont say you were fired, you left.

It was about a month between jobs before I moved onto my current employer. And although my previous employer and I are at good terms - he would be up front and honest about the situation (I would expect him to).

If your on good terms with the previous place, then they should have no reason to be a dick and say you were fired. Why does that help them, to say you were fired. I was fired from a job like 12 years ago, I never even mentioned it, why would that affect anything else that I have accomplished since. Using the word fired is an immediate no in many peoples book. So you need to find another way to fix the situation, so you can say in your mind that you are being honest. Plus, why were you fired for an endorsement and for a new instructor, those things should be a learning lesson. I never knew one of my students was not born in the USA, opps, I kept my job.

I don't really think he is trying to be a dick - he's actually told me that himself. But when the PRIA paperwork comes in and asks if this employee has for any reason been suspended or terminated due to professional competency reasons - he has to be honest and answer yes. He has no choice but to do so.
Most airline apps ask the same question - and I am not sure how I can get around by answering 'no' to that question. And I have a suspicion that most airlines filter out any applicants that answer that question with a 'yes' anyway - which would explain why instructors with much less time than me are getting the call.
At the time did I think it was a little harsh to be terminated for something that could like you said be a learning experience? Yeah, absolutely, and I wish he would have given me a second chance instead. But it is what it is - in the end it was I that made the mistake and gave him a reason to take such action.

Your former employer does have a choice actually, because if he says you were let go because they couldn't afford to pay you or something, the airline will NEVER find out otherwise. They will not investigate it. They will not care. If this is the reason why things are going down the tube for you, your former employer is being a real anal retentive jerk.

You need to talk to him and explain how bad things are getting for you. If he's at all reasonable he should understand that he can't continue to do that. Besides, time heals all wounds.

Before you give up on aviation, keep in mind that the regionals are not the only place to go. Regardless of the regional hiring practices (whatever they may be), there are jobs out there that don't automatically disqualify for certain things. You seem like you have learned a good lesson from having made a mistake. Every pilot out there has made mistakes, some probably quite a bit more severe than an incorrect endorsement. What truly matters (in my opinion, and hopefully in the opinion of many others) is how you deal with the mistake and how you present the situation (i.e. a learning experience). It's evidenced in your post that you take responsibility for the mistake you made, and you have moved on. It's only a matter of time before you find a job with a hiring board/manager that respects this and gives you a shot. It just might not be at a company that has thousands of applications to sort through. Don't give up hope.

Before you give up on aviation, keep in mind that the regionals are not the only place to go. Regardless of the regional hiring practices (whatever they may be), there are jobs out there that don't automatically disqualify for certain things. You seem like you have learned a good lesson from having made a mistake. Every pilot out there has made mistakes, some probably quite a bit more severe than an incorrect endorsement. What truly matters (in my opinion, and hopefully in the opinion of many others) is how you deal with the mistake and how you present the situation (i.e. a learning experience). It's evidenced in your post that you take responsibility for the mistake you made, and you have moved on. It's only a matter of time before you find a job with a hiring board/manager that respects this and gives you a shot. It just might not be at a company that has thousands of applications to sort through. Don't give up hope.

Thanks for the good advice deadringer86 :) Looks like I found a hiring board/manager that listened to what I had to say about the incident and decided I was worth a shot. I just got a class date for next month :) Thanks for all the help/advice guys - I really appreciate it. I'll see ya up there!

Back