What this website is about

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
Heya everybody,

I've been meaning to post something about this and get some discussion going on this issue, but now I've finally got a few minutes to open up this particular can of worms.

I was talking with one of the other super old school cats the other day (like old school enough that I was going skiing with the guy back in like 2003) and we ended up talking about a concern that we have with the website; the lack of participation in the meet and greet events that go on here.

It's obvious that Doug's website here has an intent to bring honest, fresh information to people that are new to the aviation industry so that they don't make mistakes going to places like Gulfstream Academy and making other similar mistakes in the industry. But there is another purpose that I'm afraid is getting lost here somewhere.

The other intent and purpose of the website (as I see things, and I think Doug agrees) is to provide an opportunity to network with other folks that are in the aviation industry already. The folks that are around here that are already at the regionals, freight companies and majors are here for your benefit and a lot of us are making it out to NJC and the other meet and greets every year. Off of the top of my head, I have buddies on this site that hold the following positions:

-Colgan FO
-ExpressJet FO and Captain
-American Eagle FO
-Skywest FO and Captain
-CHQ FO and Captain
-Air Wisky FO
-Pinnacle FO and Captain
-Alaska FO
-Delta FO and Captain
-Airnet Captain
-Flight Express Captain

And I can tell you for certain we have the following floating around here:

-Amflight training captains (there are a few on here)
-Amflight Chieftain captains
-Amflight 99 drivers
-Amflight Metro drivers
-Amflight 99 check airmen

So what's that mean for ya'll? That all those cats listed above are going to Vegas every year and drinking some beers together. Let me show you a few examples.

466218314_l.jpg

There's two Amflight drivers in a hot tub in Vegas. A little homoerotic? Maybe! But I can tell you that those two assclowns could make a huge impact on your career if you got to know them. I wouldn't be supprised to see both of them end up as Assistant Chief Pilots at one point.

466223460_l.jpg

Who do I see in that one. I see a Pinnacle pilot with his arm around a Delta pilot, one guy at Amflight and another one that will be at Amflight within a few months, logging turbine PIC time as soon as he gets hired.

466222571_l.jpg

Now we see an ExpressJet captain, an Amflight training captain and a Skywest EMB-120 FO.

So what's the common theme? I dunno about the rest of ya'll, but I could call any of those guys and have interview offers sitting in my voicemail by the end of the day. I've met these guys at NJC 2004, 2005 and 2006 and some of these guys have made my already short career.

So what's the problem that I see? I'm seeing the same guys at NJC every single year and we're not getting any fresh blood into the mix. Sure we'll have one or two extra people a year, but every time I show up to Vegas I seem to see the same people:

-Doug
-Kristie
-Herreshoff
-FlyChicaga
-TheShortOne (And she's not even a pilot!!!)
-TonyW
-Max
-mtsu_av8er
-Seggy
-jdflight (even when he has to drive home)
-EatSleepFly (unless he's in Metro training)
-mpenguin

Now I'm missing a ton, but I'm seeing the same core group of people every year and I'm a little concerned about that. There are a heck of a lot of opportunities at this website if ya'll want to take advantage of it. I'm not trying to pimp NJC, but simply getting out and meeting the folks on this website.

I'd hate to see this forum divulge into a simple forum and not the community that it has become and I guess I see that happening more and more.

Anyways, that's all I got; come out to more events ya'll, the members on this website are some of the best people I've ever met. Even after I quit aviation twice, they were there to pull me back in and set me straight. I'm pretty thankful for that.

-The Train

Jtrain,

Wow. This website has been invaluable to me in my progression in fulfilling my dream of becoming a pilot. It is good to have an awesome network of people that I can go to when I need help.

I don't care if you have 10,000 hours with 8000 hours of Turbine Pilot in Command time. You need to KNOW someone to get that dream job of yours. It is such a competitive marketplace with pilots it is important that us on jetcareers help one another get the jobs we want.

Why do you think the majors hiring have such 'low minimums'? It is because they want those there to bring in the ones they want to fill the open spots.

Anyone who values their career, should make every effort to save all they can to make it to Vegas.

Right on... You have a good point and its aimed at people like me, haha. I've flaked on the last meet and greet in LA and network JC in vegas.... but hopefully I'll turn it around this year.... that way I can talk hsit straight to your guys' faces! haha jk

I feel left out.

We've had JCers over to our home on many occasions.

Remember though, John, it's not alwasy easy to up and leave for Vegas when you've got kids to think about. There's lots of folks here who are a little older with family & kid responsibilities! I, for one, have sat home sulking the past 2 NJCs because it's damn hard to find quality childcare for two small tots for an extended weekend.

so what you're saying is that those drunkards are flying the planes I'm sitting in with my fingers embedded in the upholstery?

GREAT!

;)

I have buddies on this site that hold the following positions:

Don't forget, you also have a buddy who is a US Army Chinook "Captain."

And yeah that to everything you wrote. I joined last Jan, and attended my first ever NJC in October. I'll be there for years to come. And this year, I won't be so damn time-limited and so damn tired, I promise!

I can't even begin to list everything joining this site has done for me, education-wise, AND career-wise.

John, I'm sad, you left me out. :(

...And did you just let the cat out of the bag with with a certain fly member? ;)

Thanks for the post bro. You're telling the truth.

One thing that I always reinforce is that it's all about networking and if someone helps you out along the way, that means that you need to help someone else.

Pay it forward.

If a kid walks up to you in line at Starbucks and asks you a question, take some time out and answer it because you never know if he's going to be your FO one day.

There are pilots on the website that I knew when they were student pilots that are interviewing for my employer soon that WILL be my first officers one day and perhaps even another captain that keeps bogarting the spot where I keep my flight kit. If you see a flight kit with a "Squatters" and a "Nine Inch Nails" sticker, your bag does not go there, mm'kay? :) :sarcasm:

I've had a lot of good advice and guidance along the way. People that were patient with my doofus questions or would check in on me to see how the trek was going.

Don't get your first job and disappear, reinvest the time that people invested to help you. If you don't and you forget where you came from, you'll be just another grumpy guy at another website complaining about all the damned newbies cramping your style.

You may think you have nothing to offer, and that's bullsh*t. People are hungry for even the most basic information or guidance.

Ok, I'm starting to ramble, but you get the point!

Aaahhh, just bring the tikes along with ya. TonyW can introduce them to keg stands. :)

I feel left out.

Remember though, John, it's not alwasy easy to up and leave for Vegas when you've got kids to think about. There's lots of folks here who are a little older with family & kid responsibilities! I, for one, have sat home sulking the past 2 NJCs because it's damn hard to find quality childcare for two small tots for an extended weekend.

your right, we need to market NJC to the new folks, the folks that, like the regulars, can gain a ton of benefit!!

There's no reason not to get out there and network and honestly, between Doug and I, there's no reason we can't provide you with the opportunity...so that's what we're doing.

In fact, we're adding two (2) new NetworkJC functions this year to make it easier for everyone to attend.

Sometime between March and May/June we'll be hosting NetworkJC Chicago... In September we'll be hosting NetworkJC Stuttgart and October the Annual NetworkJC Event in Vegas.

So, plan on getting your butts off the chair, away from the keyboard for at least one of these weekends and network your pants off...Meet the person you could be sitting right seat with in the future..Meet the person who could essentially be your foot in the door! (hey, there's our new 2007 slogan! :))

It's been proven that this opportunity can guarantee a career and we're not pulling crap out of our asses like those flight academies out there who guarantee an interview but not a job (nor do we charge an arm and a leg to attend)...our events have proven that you can get along with those guys you argue with in the lav.. not only that, but that person can probably walk your resume in and get you the opportunity of a lifetime... the opportunity you NEED to reach that cloud 9 dream you've always had.

:nana2:

our events have proven that you can get along with those guys you argue with in the lav.. :nana2:

People i would LOVE to meet in real life: CF, TonyC and believe it or not, Killtron. (Well, the "old" Killtron... now a days he's pretty reserved.) Hell, I'd love to meet ALOT of people (still need to meet Lloyd and a bunch of other military and ex-mil folks) but those above are some of the great arguers in the Lav.

Nevermind - there was a thread months ago about who people would like to meet and I don't want to rehash that- suffice to say there's a lot of you guys and gals on this site that are pretty damn cool.

People i would LOVE to meet in real life: CF, TonyC and believe it or not, Killtron. (Well, the "old" Killtron... now a days he's pretty reserved.) Hell, I'd love to meet ALOT of people (still need to meet Lloyd and a bunch of other military and ex-mil folks) but those above are some of the great arguers in the Lav.

Nevermind - there was a thread months ago about who people would like to meet and I don't want to rehash that- suffice to say there's a lot of you guys and gals on this site that are pretty damn cool.

JT

This is why there are probably not more people showing up at JC events (I and don't mean to pick on you Chinook, but you were the first helo pilot to post sumpin).

I joined to try to catch up with old UND folks, but we all know what that part of the site is about.

Doug and Kristie have done a great job but the cliques (sp?) makes it hard for someone like me to want to show up to an event (kind of sucks to go half way across the country and not fit in).

Great site nonetheless, just answering the question (as implied).

I feel left out.

A big fat YEAH THAT!! Sure it would be nice to go, and we actually COULD get a babysitter in most cases, but we don't have the money for a trip like that, and if we did, we owe each other and our kids some personal vacations before spending that kind of money on a public vacation. Of course it doesn't help that "prudes" like me aren't into the drinking scene either. But we're always up for kid or no-kid family friendly lunches or whatever in UT, there ARE a lot of people in our area. But Vegas won't be happening for us until flights are free and money for a hotel won't be a big deal.

JT

This is why there are probably not more people showing up at JC events (I and don't mean to pick on you Chinook, but you were the first helo pilot to post sumpin).

I joined to try to catch up with old UND folks, but we all know what that part of the site is about.

Doug and Kristie have done a great job but the cliques (sp?) makes it hard for someone like me to want to show up to an event (kind of sucks to go half way across the country and not fit in).

Cliques? Huh?

Trust me EVERYONE fits in, accepted, and welcomed.*

We all have the same aviation interests!

*Unless you come from Gulfstream :)

I will go this year to the NJC event for sure. I could never make it because I've been too busy with school... now that I graduate this semester I'll have much more free time.

When is the next vegas event?

I never really considered it because I am under age and still very much a new person on this website. But I would still love to be able to pick the brains of several pilots who have followed the path I want to follow.

JT

I hear where you're coming from. In the last 12 months I've heard of these "cliques." But besides the fact that some people might have known each other for a few years, there are no cliques.

I went to NJC not knowing a soul. I roomed with a complete stranger (Kelley aka MontanaPilot) and he was cool as hell. He and I had not one thing in common save JC.

Everyone I met was great. My military affiliation meant nothing, really - MikeD was there and we commiserated on things military, sure, but I spoke to everyone and hung out with everyone.

The clique thing is BS... if you are personable, you'll do fine. Hell, I wasn't even personable and I did fine.

As I mentioned to another user last night, there isn't really a clique.

However a lot of us know one another indepedently of the website and the back 'n forth banter you see is only the visible tip of a much larger 'social iceberg'.

Similar to how we tease Mavamb about the Russian brides, but he's part of the non-intarweb social circle. "Special" people aren't invited to functions, 100% of the people that are in the local area from the website are invited and encouraged to attend. Hell, I've had people in my home on many occasions who I didn't know beyond a screenname on the website.

Take a chance, meet some people from the website. But if you don't take that chance and feel a little "left out" from time to time, take some initiative and attend the next function in your town.

These are only the top 500 US geographic areas out of over 2500 plotted. Chances are there's someone right down the street.

Back