Unbelievable...(jerk pilot)

I miss Boston John, too. I have a trip going through BOS a few times coming up.. maybe I'll hear him on frequency.

As far as the things you need to say..

1. Hello. "Hola, Buenos dis/tardes/noches"
2. Another beer please. "Uno mas cerveza por favor."
3. Thank you. "Gracias."
4. Where is the bathroom? "Donde esta el bano?"

If your knowledge of the language required fails, just adopt "International Drinking Sign Language"...

1. Hello. (Palm up wave, small gesture.)
2. Another beer please. (Gesture towards empty bottle with big round eyes and politely lifted eyebrows.)
3. Thank you. (Smile and nod appreciatively. A small bow may be added.)
4. Where is the bathroom? (Point at empty beer bottle. Point urgently at crotch. Purse lips together and open eyes as wide as possible.)

The upside to this is that if the last item is misconstrued, you may not find the bathroom, but you might get a date. :p

We had some "Chatauqua" jerk behind us in CVG the other night. Hey, our manual calls for strobes when taking the active position and hold.

And so I flipped 'em on. Over the radio "flash......flash.......flash......"

We had some "Chatauqua" jerk behind us in CVG the other night. Hey, our manual calls for strobes when taking the active position and hold.

And so I flipped 'em on. Over the radio "flash......flash.......flash......"

He's not a jerk, he's absolutely right. I always told my FOs on the CRJ not to turn on the strobes until gear up. Thankfully the 717 takes care of that for us.

He's not a jerk, he's absolutely right. I always told my FOs on the CRJ not to turn on the strobes until gear up. Thankfully the 717 takes care of that for us.

He's a jerk. I sincerely hope that you never have to go through what happened in LA, since you run without the strobes on the runway. Always been #1, strobes to indicate you're on the active runway, from primary training on up. I also do it when given a taxi-across clearance on the runway.

By the way, how hard is it not to look? Or run up someone's a* so that you're not 2 feet away from 'em? I should complain that people turn them on before they're off the ground, since they do the same thing whether or not your aircraft is moving forward, especially if you're smart enough to look right at their lights.

It is annoying when crews turn the strobes on when holding in position on the runway. It's blinding and unnecessary.

He's a jerk. I sincerely hope that you never have to go through what happened in LA, since you run without the strobes on the runway. Always been #1, strobes to indicate you're on the active runway, from primary training on up. I also do it when given a taxi-across clearance on the runway.

Plenty of airplanes don't even have the option of strobes being on on the ground. The airplane I currently fly doesn't even have an override switch to turn them on when weight is on wheels. Is the 717 dangerous, Iceman? :rolleyes:

It is annoying when crews turn the strobes on when holding in position on the runway. It's blinding and unnecessary.

:yeahthat: Thank you.

Not dangerous per se, but if one's policy calls for it, there's no good reason not to have them on while in position. Sorry if it's annoying to you while holding short. You can look away, put your checklist in front of your face or whatever it is you'd like to do. While I'm on a runway at night, for maximum safety, I'm staying as visible as possible.

I'm surprised you'd argue that point when he clearly indicated it is part of his company's procedures. Should he not adhere to policy so he can be more popular around the airport? Ridiculous.

I worked at his carrier, so I know their manuals. The book gives you an "out" by saying that the strobes don't have to be on if they provide a distraction.

I worked at his carrier, so I know their manuals. The book gives you an "out" by saying that the strobes don't have to be on if they provide a distraction.

And at night it is a distraction and I wish people would have the common courtesy to leave them off until rolling or cleared to takeoff.

Most of the Captains I fly with hold off on the strobes until cleared to go. Once rolling past the runway entrance they come on. Also what is the policy with the inspection lights? Those things annoy me as well and its irritating to have them burn out on you when you really need em. No need for the inspection lights in the middle of a balmy summer day.

The distraction would be for the crew of the airplane with the strobes on. (not others on the field) Generally it's for foggy or cloudy conditions, or maybe if the reflection was shooting back off the windshield of another airplane:)

Back