Turbine DONT's

I've only flown 1 model pt6, but the igniters come on with the start switch. Up and you get the starter and igniters, down is starter only.... but you have to hold it down... seems like it'd be incredibly hard to make that mistake.

In the airplane I fly now, the ignition and the starter are two separate switches, so it can happen. At least in the Meridian and TBM (and I think the Duke).

And what happens in the flare when one goes into reverse, and the other doesn't?

I must be getting boring as a pilot now. Assuming it's not your personal airplane, I simply see no reason to see how short you can land it. Touchdown zone, centerline, on speed...Beyond that, it's all gravy train.

So this and the above posts make alot of sense. I've been flying a single turbine. Reverse in flight can be a very useful tool. I can see where a multi might get a little scary

Question... Why can't we reverse thrust in flight? Granted I've only flown single turbines but we do it in those all the damn time...
Having flown single turbines for thousands of hours I have yet come across one single instance where I have needed to use beta/reverse in flight. In fact I think doing it is down right stupid. If you are flying in Alaska doing this then we have probably shared some common experiences as I am currently flying bush in Africa. I fly in to some pretty short strips and using proper speed and configuration I usually don't even use reverse on the ground as the combination of beta/getting the flaps up/gentle braking is enough to get me stopped.
I am honestly curious as to what situation you've been in to put the engine in beta/reverse in flight.

I've been flying a single turbine. Reverse in flight can be a very useful tool.
I think someone else asked the question but is this something you were taught or something you've picked up on your own?

Are you flying a Caravan? What about the airflow over the elevators? Are you not being subjected to a nose down attitude that you are unable to control?

So this and the above posts make alot of sense. I've been flying a single turbine. Reverse in flight can be a very useful tool. I can see where a multi might get a little scary
Are there any other limitations that need to be blatantly disregarded because it "makes alot of sense"?

*tries not to think about my buddies out of work that are skilled, professional, and competent.

Wayne Handley ( IIRC) did an airshow demo putting his SE turboprop (PT6 IIRC) into beta inflight.

One time, the blades aero locked. He crashed, lived, but broke his back.

The citation I used to fly was very sensitive to tailwinds on start, and there was actually a published limit. I forget what it is, I've been out of the plane for a long time.

I try to park the PC12 into the wind whenever I can, especially on a quick turn. It helps get the ITT down to 150 much quicker on start. I also get a GPU whenever possible, I've seen the temps be as much as 100* cooler on start.

Surprised no one has mentioned this one. If you ever attempt to back the airplane up on the ground using reverse, come out of reverse to stop, not the brakes. You may just end up on your tail.

I'm not real seasoned at this whole flying thing, but from being around guys who are, they would give me the "We need to pretend we don't know each other" look if I told them I intended to put an aircraft into beta above the ground. And I wouldn't EVER be allowed to fly their airplanes.

And what happens in the flare when one goes into reverse, and the other doesn't?

I must be getting boring as a pilot now. Assuming it's not your personal airplane, I simply see no reason to see how short you can land it. Touchdown zone, centerline, on speed...Beyond that, it's all gravy train.

Have to agree. That has always been my philosophy.

( I would add - Not hard enough to drop the O2 masks)

Surprised no one has mentioned this one. If you ever attempt to back the airplane up on the ground using reverse, come out of reverse to stop, not the brakes. You may just end up on your tail.
or you may just end up fired. The king air operators I know prohibit backing up for just that reason.

I am honestly curious as to what situation you've been in to put the engine in beta/reverse in flight.

Are you flying a Caravan? What about the airflow over the elevators? Are you not being subjected to a nose down attitude that you are unable to control?

Flying a turbine Beaver with a -34 up front. The airplane can climb steeper than it can descend without overspeeding. So in a case where you need to go back down the exact same way you came up some beta keeps you from going too fast. It can also help on a tight approach where a normal glide slope isnt possible. There is no limitation on it. The only ops spec we have regarding use of reverse is no going backwards on the ground when there is a ski on the tail wheel due to the rigging. All that being said its not something that gets used on a regular basis, actually very rarely. Typically I only use reverse when landing on skis (no brakes).

I thought Wayne Handley's crash was attributed to the high g loads being put on the engine and it not being designed for that.

Ok, so I have a fair amount of time in a Caravan. Let me run this by y'all SE T-Prop drivers. I've never needed to come down in Beta or worse. Idle at a low idle condition and full prop makes for a quick descent. I suppose if one were to go into Beta, you would get a flatter pitch on the blade, but if the blade flattens out, wouldn't the prop over speed at idle and the overspeed governor would kick in? I don't think the prop would do anything at this point. The primary governor would have already adjusted the prop angle to maintain max rpm's. Putting the power lever into Beta lowers the low pitch stop. Now, lets say in the Caravan you get below 140kts and the prop rpm's start falling with the power at idle, you're on the low pitch stop. So if you went into Beta, the pitch would flatten, rpm's would increase again, I think. If the overspeed governor increases the pitch to slow rpm's and goes to an underspeed condition, but then as it sped back up again because you've got it in Beta, your prop would start going ape-• on two different governors. Going into Reverse at altitude just seems nonsensical. You're telling me that you fly the airplane and put it into a position where you have to use Beta or Reverse to get down, I think there's something else that you could be doing.

Back