Turbine DONT's

I don't know your engine, but condition levers max? Trying to pretend you're flying a TPE331?
My airplane has a lousy record of prolonged idle descents in excess of 200 knots with the condition levers in max. Prop overspeeds result. They've mostly corrected this annoyance, but we really, really baby the props on the Bro.

This post is brought to you by Beta. Beta: chicks dig it.

What are you flying

I recommend "The King Air Book" by Tom Clements. This guy is the king air god. He's got some great recommendations and talks a lot about the history of the airplane. He has a whole chapter on starting the PT-6 and some great tips for general operation. One story in particular comes to mind. He talks about a pilot who picked up a King Air 200 from the maintenance shop, does his walk around and hops in to fly it to home base. As he's starting number 1 he notices some CBs popped out. Without looking or hesitating he pops them back in. Turns out they were the Ignitor CBs and he fried the left engine. Oops!

We have condition levers in the Dash and all the King Airs I've flown have condition levers.

In the King Air (PT6 version) they controlled fuel (with separate prop levers) and in the Dash they control fuel and the props.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.
he means that the king air and most turbo props have prop levers. Tpe331 powered aircraft and the dash are a select few that have condition levers controlling fuel and props

Start a jet engine with a 20 not tailwind and see how hot your start is.

I've started turbines with more tailwind than that. The tailwind was turning the prop so fast that we couldn't board until I flattened the blades to counter the tailwind pushing on the power turbine. The temperature when starting was not significantly higher than starting with no wind.

I never said these issues don't matter at all, I said they don't matter for all turbines. Rather than memorize a bunch of general rules for operating all turbines, just learn what you need to operate your turbine. You need to know how turbines operate in general, not how to operate turbines in general. The only thing I've seen here that could apply to all is the spool up time, everything else is specific to the type your running.

I recommend "The King Air Book" by Tom Clements. This guy is the king air god. He's got some great recommendations and talks a lot about the history of the airplane. He has a whole chapter on starting the PT-6 and some great tips for general operation. One story in particular comes to mind. He talks about a pilot who picked up a King Air 200 from the maintenance shop, does his walk around and hops in to fly it to home base. As he's starting number 1 he notices some CBs popped out. Without looking or hesitating he pops them back in. Turns out they were the Ignitor CBs and he fried the left engine. Oops!

Every King Air driver needs a copy of this book!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the guys who have big exhaust pipes sticking into the wind are going to have more hot start w/ tailwind issues than prop bubbas with a comparatively smaller hole to build back pressure against the hot section of the motor. This is a WAG, but that is what I believe anyway. I've experienced some near overtemps starting with strong tailwinds, so now I just always crank the motor(s) as high as they will go (high 20's) and try to build up the EGT before introducing fuel. The EGT thing is probably counter-intuitive, but my feeling is that more temp in the motor and higher compression/higher rpm is going to yield a quicker light off, and a shorter amount of time that the motor isn't blowing significant exhaust out the back and negating the tailwind. I've never heard anyone give me a technique for this, but it was another WAG that has thus far yielded cooler starts with tailwinds.

I've started turbines with more tailwind than that. The tailwind was turning the prop so fast that we couldn't board until I flattened the blades to counter the tailwind pushing on the power turbine. The temperature when starting was not significantly higher than starting with no wind.

I never said these issues don't matter at all, I said they don't matter for all turbines. Rather than memorize a bunch of general rules for operating all turbines, just learn what you need to operate your turbine. You need to know how turbines operate in general, not how to operate turbines in general. The only thing I've seen here that could apply to all is the spool up time, everything else is specific to the type your running.
Ok.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the guys who have big exhaust pipes sticking into the wind are going to have more hot start w/ tailwind issues than prop bubbas with a comparatively smaller hole to build back pressure against the hot section of the motor. This is a WAG, but that is what I believe anyway. I've experienced some near overtemps starting with strong tailwinds, so now I just always crank the motor(s) as high as they will go (high 20's) and try to build up the EGT before introducing fuel. The EGT thing is probably counter-intuitive, but my feeling is that more temp in the motor and higher compression/higher rpm is going to yield a quicker light off, and a shorter amount of time that the motor isn't blowing significant exhaust out the back and negating the tailwind. I've never heard anyone give me a technique for this, but it was another WAG that has thus far yielded cooler starts with tailwinds.

Introducing fuel at/near max motoring N2 is policy where I work, due to the reasons you've mentioned. Cooler starts.

After checking the mags, cycling the prop a little, be sure to take the active runway and lock the tailwheel prior to take-off. Oh...and real airplane fuel - it's red in color.

Question... Why can't we reverse thrust in flight? Granted I've only flown single turbines but we do it in those all the damn time...

Question... Why can't we reverse thrust in flight? Granted I've only flown single turbines but we do it in those all the damn time...
I've been told on the be-99 and other low tail models it creates a disruption of airflow that can be very dangerous.

I've been told on the be-99 and other low tail models it creates a disruption of airflow that can be very dangerous.

I just don't see the point of reverse in flight, anyway. Unless you're on fire trying to land on a 1500' runway, why even do it?

And what happens in the flare when one goes into reverse, and the other doesn't?

I must be getting boring as a pilot now. Assuming it's not your personal airplane, I simply see no reason to see how short you can land it. Touchdown zone, centerline, on speed...Beyond that, it's all gravy train.
Ya, I'm scared to do it. On my airplane they don't spool at anywhere near the same speed. You'd Vmc roll yourself without losing and engine.

Back