Turbine DONT's

New 99 pilot at amf pulled both T handles in cruise. Smoked one engine on the relight.
What do you mean the props aren't speed brakes? Props full is one hell of a break, and beta is pretty awesome.
My airplane has a lousy record of prolonged idle descents in excess of 200 knots with the condition levers in max. Prop overspeeds result. They've mostly corrected this annoyance, but we really, really baby the props on the Bro.

This post is brought to you by Beta. Beta: chicks dig it.

I don't know what Autothrust Blue is talking about. The props are one of the best speed brakes on a turbine. Pull the power levels to idle, if you need to slow down further, bump the props up. It makes more sound, but it slows you down quickly.
If you really want to land short, you can reverse the PT6's in flight. Albeit plan for a "firm" landing and short roll out. For goodness sakes don't do this more than 3' feet from the ground.

I've found that you can fly a turbo prop and near max fwd speed to the FAF, configure and and have a stabilized approach. This is helpful when you have a date later that night...

Turbo prop and High by-pass are slightly different.
Turbo fans will not slow you down like you are used to in a prop/piston. Jet's need drag, ie spoilers, attitude, gear etc...

Starting:
Nearly fool proof. Watch N1. add fuel. Look at the clock, ITT and N1 all at the same time.
FADEC. It is fool proof. Watch the clock and ITT.

Canadians?
I fly the same engine core as the CRJ, but I've never seen 8 seconds. That's an eternity.

Spool times on a smaller turbine (pt-6 isn't terrible. Not as bad as the -700. 8 seconds? Ouch! I'll try to time it next time I fly the C90.

Spool time is a big thing to be wary of. These engines won't spool up on a dime, as mikecweb says, so anticipate adding power beforehand. On the Brasilia, I don't really move the power levers on final...I "think" rather than "move" the PLs and suddenly the airspeed is where I want it.

That's not spool time, that's the non-linear power lever of the Brasilia. It's most sensitive in the approach range, if you move the lever just a little bit, the torque goes up 10%. At higher power settings, larger movements produce smaller torque changes. Spool time is the delay in engine response, such as when you go from flight idle to 25% to hold your speed as you capture the glide slope and it doesn't respond right away. The Brasilia has a very short spool up time.

Park into the wind. The cooler the start, the better. (and the better your career potential) Know your start malfunctions, both gas turbine (hot, wet, hung, giggity goo) and electrical (if your airplane has them).

The Brasilia doesn't care what direction the wind is going for start. Very little temperature difference between head and tailwind. So little as to be insignificant.

Battery starts with a weak battery are bad and possibly expensive (and possibly career limiting ;) ). Especially if it's hot and you have high residuals from the previous shutdown. Get a power cart if you're feeling iffy about it.

Depends on the airplane again, some don't care. I started a Brasilia off a GPU that died just as the engine lit, that was the end of the starter's assistance, but it still itself going and didn't exceed any limits.

The spool up guideline is still the only one I agree with for general practice, and it doesn't always matter either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

If you really want to land short, you can reverse the PT6's in flight. Albeit plan for a "firm" landing and short roll out. For goodness sakes don't do this more than 3' feet from the ground.
Can? Yes. Would? Never.

Reversing a pt6 in flight even in flare could end badly. Loss of airflow over the tail (not t tail) and potential of enough different spool speeds is no bueno.

I fly the same engine core as the CRJ, but I've never seen 8 seconds. That's an eternity.

8 seconds is what I'd expect from an old water-injected 707. I claim no experience in a CRJ of any type, but 8 seconds is a very, very long time, and probably unrealistic.

Let me reiterate:
For goodness sakes don't do this more than 3' feet from the ground

I don't know your engine, but condition levers max? Trying to pretend you're flying a TPE331?

We have condition levers in the Dash and all the King Airs I've flown have condition levers.

In the King Air (PT6 version) they controlled fuel (with separate prop levers) and in the Dash they control fuel and the props.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.

We have condition levers in the Dash and all the King Airs I've flown have condition levers.

In the King Air (PT6 version) they controlled fuel (with separate prop levers) and in the Dash they control fuel and the props.

This post brought to you by beta from my iPhone.
Same. And in the Dash-8, going props full forward was like throwing out an anchor. Now on the PC12 which I'm rocking now it just has a power lever and props are kept at 1700rpm at all times, the condition lever just goes from Cut-Off/Ground Idle/Flight Idle.

I think you said you were flying a King Air? In flight during the summer you are usually always going to temp out before you torque out. Keep that in mind before you increase power levers in the high teens/low 20's.

I think you said you were flying a King Air? In flight during the summer you are usually always going to temp out before you torque out. Keep that in mind before you increase power levers in the high teens/low 20's.
In the 99 you just run out of lever before you temp or torque out. lol.

That is a good way to bend metal and/or get yourself killed.

Was that something you were taught or is that something you picked up? Regardless, NO ONE SHOULD DO THAT.

8 seconds is what I'd expect from an old water-injected 707. I claim no experience in a CRJ of any type, but 8 seconds is a very, very long time, and probably unrealistic.

I don't think it's 8 seconds. I've got about 2000 hours in the plane and I don't think it's ever taken that long either on the ground or in the air.

Back