The straight story?

nighthawk632

Hey all, I've been lurking here for a while, and wanted to get the straight story from you guys.

I'm seriously considering, once I finish my Associate's degree in May, going to a dispatch course and getting my ADX certificate. There are two schools I've been looking at, iFOD - about which I've seen some negative thoughts posted, and World Airline - which I can't find ANYTHING about. I'm sure someone will try to sell me on Sheffield, and even if they are heads above everyone else, I can't justify going to Florida for this, when I've got 4 schools practically in my back yard.

I don't have an aviation background, but I've always been fascinated with the field. Living relatively close to DFW airport, and about 3 miles from the runway at NAS Fort Worth (formerly Carswell AFB) and Lockheed Martin has kept me exposed to the industry pretty well. I also have a coworker at one of my jobs who retired from American after 30-some odd years (started as a flight attendant in the mid 70s, moved to crew scheduling and FA management) so I've heard some war stories from him.

As for my vitals. I'm 26, married with a kiddo. I've discussed this situation with my wife and she understands that this will involve at the very least one relocation. She works for a national bank, so we're not too concerned about her job prospects. I currently have 4 part time jobs, none of which are steady and I'm ready to buckle down and find a career, not just a job, so I can start supporting my family the way I feel I should.

Sorry to bother you with my story, but I figured I could get some honest feedback from you guys. I don't know, maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me I'm not crazy. Maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me I AM :laff: Is this something that I'll be able to make into a career in the current market, or are their just way to many certified people out there to get anywhere?

Anything you guys have to say is much appreciated.

--Chris

Hey Chris,

First off. Welcome to JC. If you're considering making a jump into aviation, you have already got a head start. This is a great community of people and a special network of information and contacts.

Since these schools are in your backyard, I would suggest you go do site visits. Ask them where they hold classes, ask them what resources they provide to graduates, ask them if you may contact any of the school's graduates for a reference. I'm not a graduate of any school you're interested in attending, but probably there are some others that can speak up. Also, make your own assessment as to whether the course will be academically demanding. If it's a cakewalk, it's not worth your time or hard-earned money. The job itself is sometimes a cakewalk but often not and it's best to be prepared from the get-go.

Also, to answer your question - there is a lot of competition for jobs right now. However, that doesn't mean that newly certified people aren't getting hired (again, others can chime in here).
Intelligence, a good attitude, and a willingness to relocate will help out when you're trying to find a job.

I wish you luck, and I hope to hear about your decision. I'm sure others will chime in here soon too.

-ljg

Like the previous post stated, go visit each school that you are interested in. Talk to the current students and those that have graduated. The time and effort spent now will pay off later.

As far as the job market, it fluctuates as with other aviation jobs. You may end up working for a 135 operation or work as a crew scheduler before a 121 position opens up.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to as questions

F9DXER

I am with every post that was made so far.

I would just add to check into the passing percentage of students in the school. Since you do not have an aviation background making sure they have a high pass rate will mean they have the resources to help you.

Hey Chris,

I attended iFOD right there at the AA Training and Conference Center by DFW Intl. All in all I had no complaints other than the course seemed to move a little slow at times due to everybody's different levels of experience in aviation. The instructors were great and very friendly and were always willing to put in the extra time and effort for those who struggled. They also gathered everyone's resumes to critique and send out to different airlines and do everything in their power to help get you an interview. I was completley prepared for the ATP Written when the time came (98% :rawk:) as well as the practical when it came around. Not to mention I got to keep the room and board money in my pocket since I lived 15 mins away like in your case. Like any other training, make sure to put the effort into it and do your homework assignments, and you'll come out ahead. I recommend stopping in and meeting Kash, the owner, and taking a look at the place before you make you decision. It did the job for me.

As far as dispatching, your making a great choice. I wouldn't worry about landing a job after you get your license as long as you are willing to relocate. You'll find it to be challenging yet awarding...i might even stretch it and say "fun" but I might get some flack from the other guys on here. Anyways, good luck, and let us know how things go for ya.

I am with every post that was made so far.

I would just add to check into the passing percentage of students in the school. Since you do not have an aviation background making sure they have a high pass rate will mean they have the resources to help you.

I would caution against the pass rate angle. IMO, the most important concern you should have is how well prepared you would be for the job upon graduation and, as an afterthought, which school has a reputation that might help you stand out above the rest of the candidates in a hiring pool. To me, it would seem that an institution with a higher pass rate doesn't necessarily reflect the resources available to help you and could just as easily be interpreted as a "diploma mill."

If the curriculum is sound, tested and true, it should not matter as to what your aviation background might be. Plenty have people have done it before and so can you. A student will get out of it what has been put into it. True, you might have to bust your ass more at some schools instead of others, but consider those more challenging.

The FAA has general course requirements within those 200 required hours. You can go somewhere that's going to focus on helping you to pass the exams and can take it easier, or you can go somewhere that will focus less on the exams and how you will actually perform your job on a daily basis- a job that carries responsibility and the need for sound judgment. The training you receive from that end should help you pass your exams with ease. Several people in my class failed, but it was not because the help wasn't there. All things considered, I'm glad some of them didn't become dispatchers. Pick a reputable school with a tough curriculum that will make you ready to do your job and help your reputation early on in the office, a school that holds high standards and extensive (yet doable) expectations. You wouldn't hold your career or your responsibilities to lesser expectations.

Take the road less traveled, it will make all the difference. Don't half-ass your training. Consider this your first judgment call as a dispatcher. Good luck!

I'd also like to add that if you don't come from an aviation background and you choose a tougher school with a good reputation, it may put you in line of hiring with those who may have a strong aviation background and didn't go through a heralded dispatch course. I can only speak personally as I didn't have a background and was hired with 3 other people amidst over a hundred resumes for 4 positions. 2 of them were pilots and another served in ground ops with another regional. Your attitude and willingness to work for a particular company can have a huge effect just as well, but I have little doubt that going to the caliber of a school such as Sheffield in particular had some reason to do with why I was hired.

I attend IFOD back in 2006. The instructor back then was very helpful and taught in a way that was easy to learn. They assisted in shopping my resume around and basically got me my first job. Basically, I expected nothing more and nothing less. So, no complaints from me. Oh, and there was a Pizza Hut in the building (in the cafeteria, personal pans only, but still). I did not eat healthy lunch to say the least.

IFOD alumni; No complaints from me. I've said this before, its not about what school you go to. Its about how much you put into it once your in the program. I'm sure that whatever school you decide to go will have a great training program. Its all about doing your homework, studying hard and raising your hand when you don't understand. I showed up at 0730 every morning and I didn't leave until about 9 at night so I could have the quiet time and the classroom (Which they left open for me) to study.

I've also said that folks should find a school closest to their hometown simply because the investment of going to dispatch school is far then just paying the tuition. The costs for lodging, food and also living expenses should be factored inn. When I attended IFOD, we lived at a Motel Studio 6 in North Richland Hills for 7 weeks and pay over a thousand bucks just to live there, plus our food and gas. Luckily my wife was able to get some temporary work to supplement. In most cases, you are also going to have relocate at your own expense. We had to borrow 1200 bucks from my in-laws (Still haven't paid them back yet) to move us to Elko. This was when the price for gas was over 4 bucks a gallon.

So my advice, choose the school thats the closest to where you live, study hard and save all you can.

IFOD alumni; No complaints from me. I've said this before, its not about what school you go to. Its about how much you put into it once your in the program. I'm sure that whatever school you decide to go will have a great training program. Its all about doing your homework, studying hard and raising your hand when you don't understand. I showed up at 0730 every morning and I didn't leave until about 9 at night so I could have the quiet time and the classroom (Which they left open for me) to study.

I've also said that folks should find a school closest to their hometown simply because the investment of going to dispatch school is far then just paying the tuition. The costs for lodging, food and also living expenses should be factored inn. When I attended IFOD, we lived at a Motel Studio 6 in North Richland Hills for 7 weeks and pay over a thousand bucks just to live there, plus our food and gas. Luckily my wife was able to get some temporary work to supplement. In most cases, you are also going to have relocate at your own expense. We had to borrow 1200 bucks from my in-laws (Still haven't paid them back yet) to move us to Elko. This was when the price for gas was over 4 bucks a gallon.

So my advice, choose the school thats the closest to where you live, study hard and save all you can.

I mostly agree mission. Unfortunately, there are some really crappy schools out there that you shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

I'm actually heading out to IFOD for the class that starts Monday. Barring any problems in my arrangements, I'll be able to give you my perspective as I go through it.

On that note, anyone else around here going to that class or have any recommendations for the 5 week program?

Back