Got fired by non-aviation job. How does it effect my application for airliner.

As an example, I know someone (who actually used to be a member of this website), who got fired from a flying job. He and I both worked at the same aerial survey company back in 2014, and he flew a company plane 6 hours to go home and see his girlfriend. Naturally, he was fired once our boss found out; and on top of that, he had a pretty checked past beforehand, including an underage drinking ticket and a shoplifting conviction. Today he is a 777 captain at a charter airline.
Aviation is just so bizarre, unbelievable, and entertaining sometimes. Taking the company plane 6 hours to see his girlfriend. Dude was super horny.

Aviation is just so bizarre, unbelievable, and entertaining sometimes. Taking the company plane 6 hours to see his girlfriend. Dude was super horny.
One of the absolute best stick and rudder aviators I've ever flown with is horny verging on pathological.

I would probably find a better answer for why you were terminated, because I cannot imagine an interview for any job hearing that your back to back terminations due to race is going to be sympathetic and/or beneficial to you. If that’s why, I’m sorry. If it’s not, just make it a learning experience. We are not perfect and no one in an interview expect you to be perfect. It’s about learning from it, moving on, and how it made you better employee.

Even if you felt you were fired for something bogus, it’s better to take the high road in an interview. I did XYZ wrong and I learned ABC and now I feel I am a better employee from that experience. Boom, move on. Swallowed pride for 60 seconds. Blame game, finger pointing, accusations… all of that stuff makes it look 10x worse. Same exact scenario for a failed checkride. That’s my 2c anyways, I don’t do interviews…

I would probably find a better answer for why you were terminated, because I cannot imagine an interview for any job hearing that your back to back terminations due to race is going to be sympathetic and/or beneficial to you. If that’s why, I’m sorry. If it’s not, just make it a learning experience. We are not perfect and no one in an interview expect you to be perfect. It’s about learning from it, moving on, and how it made you better employee.

Even if you felt you were fired for something bogus, it’s better to take the high road in an interview. I did XYZ wrong and I learned ABC and now I feel I am a better employee from that experience. Boom, move on. Swallowed pride for 60 seconds. Blame game, finger pointing, accusations… all of that stuff makes it look 10x worse. Same exact scenario for a failed checkride. That’s my 2c anyways, I don’t do interviews…

The best advice on this thread above ^^

The way you answer questions about your past will make or break the interview, always best to show how each situation you’ve gone through helped shape the person you are today. Trust me, I had many situations that needed some ‘splainin and it worked out. In all honesty, if the market was really tight, it could have been an issue but it’s about timing and being grateful if good timing or luck falls on your side.

If asked about it, say that you were fired for violating your NDA by giving out the Cheddar Biscuit recipe... then look clandestinely around, pull a piece of paper out of your pocket, and slide it across the table... problem solved, job acquired. Everyone loves cheese.

Seriously, no sweat and I agree with all the above. Find a better job and move on.

If asked about it, say that you were fired for violating your NDA by giving out the Cheddar Biscuit recipe... then look clandestinely around, pull a piece of paper out of your pocket, and slide it across the table... problem solved, job acquired. Everyone loves cheese.

Seriously, no sweat and I agree with all the above. Find a better job and move on.
I can’t believe it took 2 pages to mention the only redeeming quality of Red Lobster.

No excuses. No fear.

These days?? Yeah. No Fear. Get Fired.

Have folks been observing and considering bosses these days? The vast majority of bosses? Companies, and the HR night security guards companies like to call "leaders"? Bueller? Anyone?

I'll demur.

Get fired as much as possible! It's how you show character, intelligence, and integrity these days. Sadly, given the quality of most bosses these days, and our general social descent into ScamCulture, getting fired is about the ONLY to demonstrate character, intelligence and integrity these days.

So... Get Fired!

Also, use the word F! as much as possible. But only if you're capable of explaining its grammatical flexibility and almost unlimited meaningful nuanced versatility as virtually any part of speech.

During any interview, explain -crisply, sharply, and surgically- to the back-stabbing, posing, climbing, petty-bourgeois VPs precisely why they really... really... need to go have a talk with the Bobs and explain exactly what they actually do here.

Last edited:
Back