Starting Flight School! 41 years old and staring my new journey

barchaim

Hi everyone, this felt like the right forum to share this too. I posted about starting my aviation career over here at Changing Careers and got a lot of wonderful feedback and great advice.

Well I finally did it! I took a discovery flight two weeks ago, and had my first flight lesson last week. The last day of my job is this Friday and I will start flight school full time to fulfill my dream of having a career in aviation. I passed my first class medical as well, which was a big relief even though I didn't have anything truly to worry about. I'm very excited to be pursuing this new journey and phase in my life. It's been a long time coming.

Thanks for all your support here at this community. A special thanks to @Screaming_Emu and @N826AW for their support and advice.

PXL_20240216_204305999.jpg
PXL_20240216_200840136.jpg
PXL_20240216_200842851.jpg
PXL_20240216_200835094.jpg

Congrats on making first progress. I hope it is a usually-enjoyable commitment.

We look forward to hearing your experience and pictures of places you went for an expensive hamburger.

Congrats! Where will you be flying out of? I am trying to get out to CA to visit my sister in the next month or so. We should grab lunch.

I spotted KCMA right away! That was my home airport growing up. I remember looking out the window of the car on the 101 to spot the two constellations that used to sit on the ramp there.

I started my aviation career journey when I was 34. It's totally doable.

Congrats on your journey. Good luck! Fly good, don't suck.

Fix

Have fun! I started out in a similar situation as you. Bachelor's in Software Engineering and a Masters in Technical Education. Racked up the ratings over a course of 12-13 years starting at age 29/30.

Work a university-based 141 program where I teach ground school and do some training in the plane.

Been very rewarding and I hope it is the same for you.

Back