The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

When people are using entirely the wrong word, seem entirely unable to differentiate lose, loose, we're, were, where, wear, break, brake, etc., making posts with no punctuation, capitalization or coherency, replacing entire words with the wrong words, attempting to use a $5 word where a 50¢ word will work better—and using it wrong, hurting the brains and eyes of everyone by shortening three-letter words to two-letter abbreviations (!), ad nauseam, that's not even being a grammar brown shirt.
Kinda like how your entire second paragraph is one complete run on sentence?

Is it? Is it really? A long sentence is not the same thing as a run-on sentence. Maybe if you had a college degree, you'd know that.

The most embarrassing thing for the english language is that two people liked your response.

-Fox

Maybe if you had a college degree, you'd know that.

-Fox

That's it? That's all you have for a rebuttal? Resorting to personal attacks? How mature. :rolleyes:Please let me know when you are ready to apply to SJA so I can write you a letter of referral. We need more scholars like you.

FWIW, I have a BS degree from an institution that you probably never could of hacked, but that's OK, we won't hold it against you.

No reason to insult anyone's educational background, especially if you don't know it. Also, if you decide to get into a war of words with someone regarding your own perceived intellectual prowess, please do so using proper grammar.

:bang:

That was an awkward turn of phrase, but I gave up caring about my response halfway through, and just didn't really care about changing it.

As for insulting ones educational background, I was just responding in kind. I look forward to your rebuke of Acrofox's insult of my educational background.

That's it? That's all you have for a rebuttal?

What, the part you quoted? No, the rebuttal was the other part, where I said that you have no idea what you're talking about when you called my second sentence a run-on sentence.

The part you quoted is, I suspect, a bit too nuanced and subtle for you to understand.

Please let me know when you are ready to apply to SJA so I can write you a letter of referral. We need more scholars like you.

You'll be the first to know.

FWIW, I have a BS degree from an institution that you probably never could of hacked, but that's OK, we won't hold it against you.

At my institution, I learned that the phrase is actually "could have", not "could of". BS degree, indeed!

-Fox

So trying to get to work the other day was a bit of a cluster hump. As usual, flights were nearly full. No big deal, I'll just take the jump seat. Nope. "Sorry, someone is already listed. You'll have to get a Zed fare."

"To Atlanta!?"

"Yes, to Atlanta."

I use my pass benefits a few times a month to commute, and have never had to pay, other than the yearly fee. That's not right, I think to myself. After some back and forth trying to just get the agent to list me in the back, I finally accept defeat with her and tell her to list me for the jump seat as standby, and hope that the gate agent knows what she is doing. I head to the gate.

"Hello mam, I'm just checking to see if your jump seater has checked in yet."

"Yes, he went down a few minutes ago. You'll have to purchase a Zed fare."

"Is this a new policy?"

"No. It's always been this way. People try and avoid the fare by riding the jump seat. Looks like you'll have to pay this time" (in a quite rude tone)

I'm now starting to loose my patients.

"Mam, I've been making this commute for a few years now. I've never had to pay anything other than the activation fee to use my pass travel benefits to go domestic. So either this is new, or you're mistaken."

She basically refuses to list me in the back. No red coats to be found. So I do some digging to see who is listed in the cockpit. It comes up as "AS." Hmm. Alaska. I fly Delta passengers, and last I remember, have a higher priority than Alaska, because I actually fly Delta passengers, and make money for Delta. And while I hate to bump someone off of a jump seat, if I'm trying to get to work, and have no other choice, I'll do it. If I'm going home, and they listed first, I'll just wait a few more minutes for the next flight.

"Mam, that pilot you've already checked in, works for Alaska. I have higher priority than him on the jump seat. Is he already on?"

"Yes he is. And the only person who can bump him is a Delta pilot."

"You are mistaken. When was the last time an Alaska pilot made a dollar for Delta? I make money for them every time the airplane I operate moves. Its says Delta [Connection] on the side."

"Well he's already checked in. The seat is his."

"You are supposed to wait till the last 15 minutes to give that seat to an OFL guy."

I have had gate agents check me in before that 15 minute window as well. But I still wait at the gate in case a company pilot shows up so the agent doesn't have to come tell me to "GEET OFF MUH SEAT!"

The argument ensues. Of course, I end up loosing a battle I should have won. I finally found a red coat who helped me sort everything out for a seat in the back, which was better than getting a case of "jump seat ass." But the issue may still show it's head again in the future.

What would you have done different short of calling your jump seat rep? I wasn't allowed down to see the captain, and she refused to call him up.
To get back on topic here....When dealing with gate agents, I would be sure to leave out phrases like "I make money for Delta" .

For the record, a grammar nazi—by my definition—would have picked up a few legitimate problems (mostly of clarity) with that second sentence.

When people are using entirely the wrong word, seem entirely unable to differentiate lose, loose, we're, were, where, wear, break, brake, etc., are making posts with no punctuation, capitalization or coherency, replacing entire words with the wrong words, attempting to use a $5 word where a 50¢ word will work better—and using it wrong, hurting the brains and eyes of everyone by shortening three-letter words to two-letter abbreviations (!), ad nauseam, [pointing] that [out] is not even being a grammar brown shirt.

It might be argued that there is insufficient coordination, as my sentence lacks several instances of 'or', and a few instances where 'are' might make the statement more precise. It can also be argued that an em-dash is suboptimal when used to set off a parenthetical within a list, or that, overall, the phrasing is too loose... but in informal writing most of these are considered acceptable and sufficiently clear to accomplish the task at hand.

By the way @Cptnchia , if you think any of the things I'm saying are personal attacks, you're missing the irony in my statements.

If you're using the definition of SNAP that I found on Urban Dictionary, my name is Griffin, I live in Juneau, AK, and I'll happily go over any of this face to face. No, that doesn't mean "I wanna fite you raar", it means that I'd be happy to buy you a beer and discuss the relative merits of grammar and its (mis)use, as well as the application of education and its (mis)use. I have never stood behind anonymity, and I never say things I wouldn't say directly to someone's face. But if you're going to call me out on the basics of grammar, you need to be on your game. I have a lot invested in it, and I understand the subtleties better than most. It doesn't mean I'm perfect, and it obviously doesn't mean that I'm always right, but the errors I make don't typically fall into the "run-on sentence" category.

Your response, sir?

-Fox

Wow, I was really enjoying all the stories in this thread until I got to page 4 and all hell broke loose.

Your response, sir

-Fox

pulp_fiction-big-brain-brett-11.jpg

SNAP as in the aviation definition of the acronym. It is definitely not in Urban Dictionary, but anyone who has been around aviation long enough knows it.

With that, I yield the floor to you. I'm out. Kids are home from school, it's the weekend, and I got more important things to do than worry about grammar and syntax.

lol maybe I am just more intuitive than the average bear, but I don't really have a problem with any of those things. Context goes a LONG way when it comes to figuring out what someone says. For instance if I come to you and tell you I though the blackwhawks would loose last night, you can probably figure out pretty darn fast what I meant to say. Then going on to take the time to correct me does nothing to further the conversation. It's typically just a way for people to score points.

No, it's typically a way to help you out so you don't continue to make yourself appear uneducated. Grammar and spelling are incredibly important. I throw a lot of resumes in the trash that might have gotten a full read had the cover letter used proper grammar and spelling.

Uhh...

Back