The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

As I'm sure you're aware, I don't think the average line pilot has the slightest idea how his own airline's management thinks, no matter how long he's worked there, and that disagreement is the root of our entirely different views of the world.
It's a good thing then that I'm not an average line pilot, but please, don't let that stop your condensation.

It's a good thing then that I'm not an average line pilot, but please, don't let that stop your condensation.

Condensation?

Condensation_on_water_bottle.jpg

Arent there some express carriers that don't give priority to their mainline partners. For example, a SkyWest Painted USAir RJ, a Frontier pilot shows up before a USAir pilot, and the F9 pilot gets the seat?

You're asking the wrong dude. I worry about my agreement with our partners, because that's what effects me, and what I have the power to effect change with. With more time in the industry, that will change. But I'm still learning, so I try and stick with what I know of for now.

Folks, the lesson here is that if you have a problem with the jumpseat, just let your jumpseat committee know.

Nothing can be solved concerning jumpseating and the interweb.

With the right tools, you can educate some, and nip the problem in the bud before anyone gets their feelings hurt, or worse, in trouble.

Weren't you the one asking me what my union was for. This is one of those things. But I also try and minimize their involvement in my life to leave the resources to other, more pressing matters.

Arent there some express carriers that don't give priority to their mainline partners. For example, a SkyWest Painted USAir RJ, a Frontier pilot shows up before a USAir pilot, and the F9 pilot gets the seat?
FEDEX is that way.

Since the FEDEX pilots are able to list online for the jumpseat at ANY time, and we have to do so within 24 hours of the flight, once you make the reservation and get the confirmation it doesn't matter how many FEDEX guys want it, its yours.

Some tips:

a. Talk to your jumpseat coordinator.
b. Ask a "redcoat" or another pilot for help because clearly the person at the gate is new.
c. Keep your cool and the moment you try to flex your muscle at the gate, you're not going to have a good result.

I had a problem with a jumpseat last week, on another airline, where I signed up, got put into the system and the agent curtly instructed me to "sit down".

I did. Sure.

I walk up toward the end of boarding to inquire if I was going to be able to ride the jumpseat and it was the typical "if I don't make eye contact with you, I can pretend you don't exist" game. That's fine, I've seen that before. But I do politely ask about the jumpseat and she tells me to have a seat.

Hooo ok. No big deal. Right up until she walked through the door and pulled the jetway back and the plane departed.

I walked the jumpseat form back up and told her, on her return that I'll try USAirways in a few hours and thanks for the help.

"YOU SHOULD HAVE SPOKEN UP! There wasn't anyone on the jumpseat" she shouted. No point in much further discussion because, at the end of the day, I'm just wasting time. I bid a polite adieu and made the walk of shame to terminal 4.

I really loathe grammar Nazis, but this made if chuckle.

Thanks, Todd.

A grammar nazi is someone who declaims the lack of an oxford comma, or a non-hyphenated compound adjective, or weeps over the use of "It is me."

When people are using entirely the wrong word, seem entirely unable to differentiate lose, loose, we're, were, where, wear, break, brake, etc., making posts with no punctuation, capitalization or coherency, replacing entire words with the wrong words, attempting to use a $5 word where a 50¢ word will work better—and using it wrong, hurting the brains and eyes of everyone by shortening three-letter words to two-letter abbreviations (!), ad nauseam, that's not even being a grammar brown shirt.

-Fox

Oh, it's not that they're uneducated. Some of them just despise the fact that pilots get an extra travel option that they don't have, so they make it as difficult as possible for you.

I'd write her up.
I experienced this a couple of times in DFW with surly life-time AA gate agents and also in ATL with surly Delta agents. (But it seemed like everyone who worked at the ATL airport was surly so that might not mean anything.) Nowhere else. I just got on a different flight and emailed the JS coordinator, I hate drama too much to make a scene of it and in neither case was I going to be miss tripped because of it.

Last edited:
Thats how it worked at Mesa. If I recall first priority were Mesa pilots, second priority were pilots in that system (I may be wrong but I think both the Mainline partners and other X Express were at the same priority), and then anyone else. @USMCmech just finished IOE I think (?) so he might know if its the same or has changed.

Incidentally, I found it usually less complicated to fly on non-partner airlines. Like, I was in the United Express system and I think at the time United (or maybe Mesa) was toying with the concept that if you asked for the jumpseat and ended up with a seat in the back you should pay the $20 or whatever segment fee as if you were using pass travel benefits. My absolute favorite was AirTran out of ATL or Frontier out of Denver. Their flight attendants and pilots were always so nice to commuting pilots. The Frontier flight attendants usually swiped me free TV, and I usually got my favorite seat in the back of the 717 on AirTran -- the sound of the engines always put me to sleep!

My least favorite on the DEN-SAT leg atleast was SWA, but only because they were usually pretty full. I had to sit in the second jumpseat on the 737 multiple times. Always fun when the captain reaches back for that tablet computer trip can thing they used and you meep: 'Sorry that was acually my balls, sir'.

Last edited:
A grammar nazi is someone who declaims the lack of an oxford comma, or a non-hyphenated compound adjective, or weeps over the use of "It is me."

When people are using entirely the wrong word, seem entirely unable to differentiate lose, loose, we're, were, where, wear, break, brake, etc., making posts with no punctuation, capitalization or coherency, replacing entire words with the wrong words, attempting to use a $5 word where a 50¢ word will work better—and using it wrong, hurting the brains and eyes of everyone by shortening three-letter words to two-letter abbreviations (!), ad nauseam, that's not even being a grammar brown shirt.

-Fox
Kinda like how your entire second paragraph is one complete run on sentence?

@Derg you ever here the story of the captain in Atlanta who was called out on short call, came running up to the gate at departure time and the agent curtly told him he wasn't getting on the plane?

Before he could even explain himself, she told him the flight was closed out and walked the paperwork down. So he went and had a seat. She comes back a few minutes later, sees him and yells, "I told you, you're not getting on." He doesn't say anything, she makes a phone call, and then wanders back down to the plane.

A few minutes later he gets a phone call from skeds, where is he? He tells them the whole story and they have a good laugh. They tell him to just hang out. Next thing, the agent comes bursting out of the jetway, and starts yelling about how he should have said something and now the delay was on him. That's when he told her to call her supervisor because she wasn't going to yell at him anymore.

Next thing, the agent comes bursting out of the jetway, and starts yelling about how he should have said something and now the delay was on him. That's when he told her to call her supervisor because she wasn't going to yell at him anymore.

I may have been married to that woman once.

@Derg you ever here the story of the captain in Atlanta who was called out on short call, came running up to the gate at departure time and the agent curtly told him he wasn't getting on the plane?

Before he could even explain himself, she told him the flight was closed out and walked the paperwork down. So he went and had a seat. She comes back a few minutes later, sees him and yells, "I told you, you're not getting on." He doesn't say anything, she makes a phone call, and then wanders back down to the plane.

A few minutes later he gets a phone call from skeds, where is he? He tells them the whole story and they have a good laugh. They tell him to just hang out. Next thing, the agent comes bursting out of the jetway, and starts yelling about how he should have said something and now the delay was on him. That's when he told her to call her supervisor because she wasn't going to yell at him anymore.
Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

The was an urban legend at AA about their highly-revered Chief Pilot, Cecil Ewell. He was in DC for meetings one day and actually wanted to fly the 757 back to DFW. He calls the powers that be and buys the Captain off the trip. He shows up to the gate in a suit and tie (no uniform, but ID displayed) and kindly asks the agents to use the printer. They get snippy with him and tell him they don't have time to deal with him and just to sit down, so he does. A little while later, the AAgents close out the flight and go down to pull the jetway. One of them comes running back up, freaking out that they don't have a Captain. She, in a panicky way, is asking the other agent where the Captain is and if they've seen him. Cecil folds down the top half of his paper and politely asks if he may use the printer now.

I had an incident last year in PHL. I showed up to the gate 12 minutes before departure, listed as the Primary for the jumpseat. The agents informed me that the flight was closed and I was out of luck. I stood there for 6 minutes pleading with them to let me on. The jetway never moved. We have a procedure for late accommodation of the jumpseat where all the agent has to do is call the tower and say they have a jumpseater. They can put me in the computer later. At the end of my conversation, never once having gotten upset, I told them that in the 6 minutes we've been standing here, I could have been strapped into the seat and on my way. One of the agents, in no uncertain terms, told me it didn't matter. There was no way she was going to let me on that plane. I asked for a supervisor and was told they had no way of contacting them (even though they both had radios). I took down their names and sent a quick e-mail to my Chief Pilot and to the jumpseat committee. I don't know whatever came of it, but since the incident and throughout the past year, I haven't seen either one of them working a gate in PHL.

Thats how it worked at Mesa. If I recall first priority were Mesa pilots, second priority were pilots in that system (I may be wrong but I think both the Mainline partners and other X Express were at the same priority), and then anyone else. @USMCmech just finished IOE I think (?) so he might know if its the same or has changed.

Incidentally, I found it usually less complicated to fly on non-partner airlines. Like, I was in the United Express system and I think at the time United (or maybe Mesa) was toying with the concept that if you asked for the jumpseat and ended up with a seat in the back you should pay the $20 or whatever segment fee as if you were using pass travel benefits. My absolute favorite was AirTran out of ATL or Frontier out of Denver. Their flight attendants and pilots were always so nice to commuting pilots. The Frontier flight attendants usually swiped me free TV, and I usually got my favorite seat in the back of the 717 on AirTran -- the sound of the engines always put me to sleep!

My least favorite on the DEN-SAT leg atleast was SWA, but only because they were usually pretty full. I had to sit in the second jumpseat on the 737 multiple times. Always fun when the captain reaches back for that tablet computer trip can thing they used and you meep: 'Sorry that was acually my balls, sir'.

All UAX carriers give UAL/UAX pilots priority over OAL pilots, but between UAX/UAL pilots, it's time of check-in (unless it's your own metal of course).

-Fox
lol maybe I am just more intuitive than the average bear, but I don't really have a problem with any of those things. Context goes a LONG way when it comes to figuring out what someone says. For instance if I come to you and tell you I though the blackwhawks would loose last night, you can probably figure out pretty darn fast what I meant to say. Then going on to take the time to correct me does nothing to further the conversation. It's typically just a way for people to score points.

Back