Follow-Up to checking a firearm

I’ll rephrase:
In my personal experience, this is ACTUALLY a non-issue.

There have been multiple arrests in and around New York large airports for non-compliance with both TSA rules and New York laws. However, the consequences of non-compliance applies in every aspect of our lives. In the most recent case involving NY large airports, the person‘s checked firearm was loaded….doh!

This, in reality, is a non-issue!
If you’re diverted OR stranded with a firearm (let’s go with a pistol with standard magazine) that you’ve checked it in as discussed earlier, you would have NO problem in any State (except maybe the HI situation I mentioned above). Keep it in the condition it was when checked, go about your day, and wait for your flight.

Unless something has changed recently, there's been cases of people checking guns into their baggage, getting diverted to NYC, and then getting charged with a felony for gun possession when they retrieve their luggage.

Unless something has changed recently, there's been cases of people checking guns into their baggage, getting diverted to NYC, and then getting charged with a felony for gun possession when they retrieve their luggage.

And research will reveal that all of those cases (except 3 that had loaded firearms) were dropped after review by the DA’s Office. These cases/incidents were blasted by the DA’s Office as “over zealous“ actions of the airport personnel.

And research will reveal that all of those cases (except 3 that had loaded firearms) were dropped after review by the DA’s Office. These cases/incidents were blasted by the DA’s Office as “over zealous“ actions of the airport personnel.
Show your research.

The sticking point for the DA is that NONE of the passengers involved in the above brought their firearms to NY, the individual airline brought the firearms to NY!

Look, this is easy:

For all of you that will not or don’t want to carry a firearm in your checked bag on a commercial flight, DON’T!

For those of you that will or want to, follow the rules!

I declared and checked a firearm once and it was an epic fail by TSA. Declare it at the counter and lock and hand it over.

I go to baggage claim at the far and down tumbles my gun case 1/2 open with TSA tape all over and the case cut around the locks. I grab it walk over to the TSA supervisor and before I can say a word. She is apologizing, takes a report etc. I later found out someone at the departure airport thought he saw something suspicious and needed to see in the case. Long story short they ended up cutting me a check...

Is Alex not living on the boat? Must be nice! It took me about a year and a half to get a place off base.

Nope he is not on the boat. He had some 'money' from school.... ;-) and was paying out of pocket. Then now that he has reenlisted auto-bump to E5 which allows them BAH/BAQ. A married couple he was in school with bought a house and he is 'renting' a room. He stays on the ship if he has duty. They were living on a barge but the Skipper allowed them to move back onto the ship. He was one of a luck group whose entire berthing was redone entirely. New rack, mattresses, everything was new. I guess they look after the reactor guys and gals.

Back