The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

All I'm saying is nothing would come from it. Nothing. again, if they don't care about their own pilots writing up stuff, they certainly could care less what an OAL has to say. But I guess you know more about a company you've never worked for than someone who's been there 16 years. :rolleyes:

That's why we have a commuter clause. Gotta say, you're a lot more motivated to get to work than I am.

Sounds cool to say that, then you realize you're out $3000 for that 4-day that just went to a reserve. Plus the time spent at the airport. I go to work because I have to pay bills, not to sit at the gate and watch airplanes.

Yeah...I'd have to miss out on an entire 100 hour month to be out that kind of money.
I hear 'ya. I just recently flew with a guy who made $6500 on a three day in open time. I made $12,000 my first year instructing. What a crazy industry.

All I'm saying is nothing would come from it. Nothing. again, if they don't care about their own pilots writing up stuff, they certainly could care less what an OAL has to say. But I guess you know more about a company you've never worked for than someone who's been there 16 years. :rolleyes:

As I'm sure you're aware, I don't think the average line pilot has the slightest idea how his own airline's management thinks, no matter how long he's worked there, and that disagreement is the root of our entirely different views of the world.

Actually I got an agent suspended..
It was our metal and I had the jumpseat reserved for the last flight of the day. I showed up 30 minutes prior to departure and the gate agent said she was too busy to check me in. I told her fine, but I reserved the jumpseat and was there when she had a chance.
Fifteen minutes prior I saw her give some paperwork to a mainline pilot and he went down the jet way. I knew the flight was oversold so I approached her and asked if he just went to the jumpseat. She said yes, it was 15 prior so he got it. I informed her that I was there 30 minutes prior and I had reserved the jumpseat so he needed to be pulled off. She refused to do so. I started to go down the jetway to talk to the captain and she threatened to call airport police and have me arrested if I went near the airplane. I showed her my SIDA badge and she said she did not care. Tried calling JS coordinator and chief pilot on call but got messages. Tried to find a red coat, but by the time I found one the jetway was pulled and they were pushing back. Red coat actually got pretty mad at the gate agent. Chief pilot called me back and when I told him what happened he was furious and called mainline CP. He was also pretty upset at what happened. Our JS coordinator called their JS coordinator- again, they were not happy. All points converged on the gate agent. I guess it was not her first incident.

OP. Tell JS coordinator. What happened is actually not IAW the FOM- an FAA approved document. Also do an IOR- again, an FAA approved document was not followed.

Actually I got an agent suspended..
It was our metal and I had the jumpseat reserved for the last flight of the day. I showed up 30 minutes prior to departure and the gate agent said she was too busy to check me in. I told her fine, but I reserved the jumpseat and was there when she had a chance.
Fifteen minutes prior I saw her give some paperwork to a mainline pilot and he went down the jet way. I knew the flight was oversold so I approached her and asked if he just went to the jumpseat. She said yes, it was 15 prior so he got it. I informed her that I was there 30 minutes prior and I had reserved the jumpseat so he needed to be pulled off. She refused to do so. I started to go down the jetway to talk to the captain and she threatened to call airport police and have me arrested if I went near the airplane. I showed her my SIDA badge and she said she did not care. Tried calling JS coordinator and chief pilot on call but got messages. Tried to find a red coat, but by the time I found one the jetway was pulled and they were pushing back. Red coat actually got pretty mad at the gate agent. Chief pilot called me back and when I told him what happened he was furious and called mainline CP. He was also pretty upset at what happened. Our JS coordinator called their JS coordinator- again, they were not happy. All points converged on the gate agent. I guess it was not her first incident.

OP. Tell JS coordinator. What happened is actually not IAW the FOM- an FAA approved document. Also do an IOR- again, an FAA approved document was not followed.

Hadn't even thought about an IOR.

SMH You just can't make this stuff up. We all could probably write book of the oddities that occur to keep us from the making the commute.

So trying to get to work the other day was a bit of a cluster hump. As usual, flights were nearly full. No big deal, I'll just take the jump seat. Nope. "Sorry, someone is already listed. You'll have to get a Zed fare."

"To Atlanta!?"

"Yes, to Atlanta."

I use my pass benefits a few times a month to commute, and have never had to pay, other than the yearly fee. That's not right, I think to myself. After some back and forth trying to just get the agent to list me in the back, I finally accept defeat with her and tell her to list me for the jump seat as standby, and hope that the gate agent knows what she is doing. I head to the gate.

"Hello mam, I'm just checking to see if your jump seater has checked in yet."

"Yes, he went down a few minutes ago. You'll have to purchase a Zed fare."

"Is this a new policy?"

"No. It's always been this way. People try and avoid the fare by riding the jump seat. Looks like you'll have to pay this time" (in a quite rude tone)

I'm now starting to loose my patients.

"Mam, I've been making this commute for a few years now. I've never had to pay anything other than the activation fee to use my pass travel benefits to go domestic. So either this is new, or you're mistaken."

She basically refuses to list me in the back. No red coats to be found. So I do some digging to see who is listed in the cockpit. It comes up as "AS." Hmm. Alaska. I fly Delta passengers, and last I remember, have a higher priority than Alaska, because I actually fly Delta passengers, and make money for Delta. And while I hate to bump someone off of a jump seat, if I'm trying to get to work, and have no other choice, I'll do it. If I'm going home, and they listed first, I'll just wait a few more minutes for the next flight.

"Mam, that pilot you've already checked in, works for Alaska. I have higher priority than him on the jump seat. Is he already on?"

"Yes he is. And the only person who can bump him is a Delta pilot."

"You are mistaken. When was the last time an Alaska pilot made a dollar for Delta? I make money for them every time the airplane I operate moves. Its says Delta [Connection] on the side."

"Well he's already checked in. The seat is his."

"You are supposed to wait till the last 15 minutes to give that seat to an OFL guy."

I have had gate agents check me in before that 15 minute window as well. But I still wait at the gate in case a company pilot shows up so the agent doesn't have to come tell me to "GEET OFF MUH SEAT!"

The argument ensues. Of course, I end up loosing a battle I should have won. I finally found a red coat who helped me sort everything out for a seat in the back, which was better than getting a case of "jump seat ass." But the issue may still show it's head again in the future.

What would you have done different short of calling your jump seat rep? I wasn't allowed down to see the captain, and she refused to call him up.
Arent there some express carriers that don't give priority to their mainline partners. For example, a SkyWest Painted USAir RJ, a Frontier pilot shows up before a USAir pilot, and the F9 pilot gets the seat?

Arent there some express carriers that don't give priority to their mainline partners. For example, a SkyWest Painted USAir RJ, a Frontier pilot shows up before a USAir pilot, and the F9 pilot gets the seat?

I believe independent regionals can do that. ALPA has been making a push for First Come First Served for the jumpseat and the only person with bumping rights is a pilot for the carrier that owns the metal.

What is funny is that at Delta the gate agent has more control over the jumpseat than the Captain does.

Folks, the lesson here is that if you have a problem with the jumpseat, just let your jumpseat committee know.

Nothing can be solved concerning jumpseating and the interweb.

Exactly, you are not generally going to win any argument at the gate and you will just make yourself and airline look bad if you get into an argument at the gate with the agent. Kill them with kindness and if that doesn't work call your rep and find another flight.

Back