The jump seat battle with the uneducated.

mshunter

So trying to get to work the other day was a bit of a cluster hump. As usual, flights were nearly full. No big deal, I'll just take the jump seat. Nope. "Sorry, someone is already listed. You'll have to get a Zed fare."

"To Atlanta!?"

"Yes, to Atlanta."

I use my pass benefits a few times a month to commute, and have never had to pay, other than the yearly fee. That's not right, I think to myself. After some back and forth trying to just get the agent to list me in the back, I finally accept defeat with her and tell her to list me for the jump seat as standby, and hope that the gate agent knows what she is doing. I head to the gate.

"Hello mam, I'm just checking to see if your jump seater has checked in yet."

"Yes, he went down a few minutes ago. You'll have to purchase a Zed fare."

"Is this a new policy?"

"No. It's always been this way. People try and avoid the fare by riding the jump seat. Looks like you'll have to pay this time" (in a quite rude tone)

I'm now starting to loose my patients.

"Mam, I've been making this commute for a few years now. I've never had to pay anything other than the activation fee to use my pass travel benefits to go domestic. So either this is new, or you're mistaken."

She basically refuses to list me in the back. No red coats to be found. So I do some digging to see who is listed in the cockpit. It comes up as "AS." Hmm. Alaska. I fly Delta passengers, and last I remember, have a higher priority than Alaska, because I actually fly Delta passengers, and make money for Delta. And while I hate to bump someone off of a jump seat, if I'm trying to get to work, and have no other choice, I'll do it. If I'm going home, and they listed first, I'll just wait a few more minutes for the next flight.

"Mam, that pilot you've already checked in, works for Alaska. I have higher priority than him on the jump seat. Is he already on?"

"Yes he is. And the only person who can bump him is a Delta pilot."

"You are mistaken. When was the last time an Alaska pilot made a dollar for Delta? I make money for them every time the airplane I operate moves. Its says Delta [Connection] on the side."

"Well he's already checked in. The seat is his."

"You are supposed to wait till the last 15 minutes to give that seat to an OFL guy."

I have had gate agents check me in before that 15 minute window as well. But I still wait at the gate in case a company pilot shows up so the agent doesn't have to come tell me to "GEET OFF MUH SEAT!"

The argument ensues. Of course, I end up loosing a battle I should have won. I finally found a red coat who helped me sort everything out for a seat in the back, which was better than getting a case of "jump seat ass." But the issue may still show it's head again in the future.

What would you have done different short of calling your jump seat rep? I wasn't allowed down to see the captain, and she refused to call him up.

Haha, I love the "Geet off muh seat." Almost as good as "Yer Awff mah jumpseat"

In my 8yrs of commuting on Southerjets, I have never had this type of experience. I probably would have had a hissy fit. You did good finding a redcoat. I would be asking for her supervisor pronto! I have heard that once they issue "the jumpseat" (three papers) that you cannot remove that person. I know a delta guy can bump anyone anytime but I've heard a couple of times once the jumpseat has been given to an offline person that you cannot undo that and all others immediately get bumped to the standby list. This is why they are hesitant to give it out until 15 prior. That's what I've heard. Fwiw

Did you tell your union jumpseat chair about this?
If you can see the airplane, stand in the window and wave to the crew... I had to do that and hold up my ID. Capt got the point and came up the jetway to talk to the gate agent. Email your jumpseat committee about what happened though.

I've already done that. Problem is, it can take a while to resolve the problem, which means a missed commute, and a possible trip failure or a burnt up sick call. I spend about 98% of my commutes up front. It's just something I've become used to.

Haha, I love the "Geet off muh seat." Almost as good as "Yer Awff mah jumpseat"

I have heard that once they issue "the jumpseat" (three papers) that you cannot remove that person. I know a delta guy can bump anyone anytime but I've heard a couple of times once the jumpseat has been given to an offline person that you cannot undo that and all others immediately get bumped to the standby list. This is why they are hesitant to give it out until 15 prior. That's what I've heard. Fwiw

A pilot for that carrier should be able to bump an OFL guy at anytime, IMO. But I've had a red coat remove me after getting the "three golden tickets."

"No. It's always been this way. People try and avoid the fare by riding the jump seat. Looks like you'll have to pay this time" (in a quite rude tone)
My sister is a red Jacket at Delta and she complains of the exact same thing, specially when she's been at Atlanta.

My sister is a red Jacket at Delta and she complains of the exact same thing, specially when she's been at Atlanta.

Never had a problem there bigger than a mouse fart. I spend a lot of time in MCO and LAX, and that's where I have the most issues. I had a gate agent in MCO ask for three forms of ID once. Needless to say, the loon I gave her was quite perplexing.

"Okay, here is my company ID, my SIDA babe for ATL, my passport, and my drivers license. But I forgot my birth certificate at home in LA."

Not quite sure how you'd go about that but an OAL pilot writing up a Delta agent about a jumpseat issue will most likely only get that OAL dropped from the program. If they don't care about their own pilots, what makes you think they care about offline pilots?

Not quite sure how you'd go about that but an OAL pilot writing up a Delta agent about a jumpseat issue will most likely only get that OAL dropped from the program. If they don't care about their own pilots, what makes you think they care about offline pilots?

Yeah, that'll go over like a fart in church. Dropping a Delta Connection carrier from a Delta jump seat agreement. A lot of DL pilots wouldn't get to work on our metal anymore.

Yeah, that'll go over like a fart in church. Dropping a Delta Connection carrier from a Delta jump seat agreement. A lot of DL pilots wouldn't get to work on our metal anymore.
What makes you think they care about their own pilot commuters?

Just add this as another item on the long list of things that you and I see very differently and move on.

Back