STARs and speed/altitude restrictions in a GA plane

^^^^^^
This

The amount of midairs I've almost seen in and around PDK and ATL in the last 17+ years could fill two books. Stupidity

No kidding. No problem with most of the the 1200 codes, but I had a VFR on flight following the other day 500 feet above the Bravo. "Want me to avoid the Bravo laterally?" No sir you are my hero of the day. Beats the skimmers who don't talk all day every day.

I may disagree with ATN at times, but I'd take about 20 of him in the NAS rather than the moron who calls for flight following in the B, over the marker at DA on the active.

ATN, just file direct and let the PDR work itself out unless its on the coasts. Anywhere between the controller will want to read the stupid long clearance as much as you want to fly it. So much easier for me to tell center, uh hey, how about direct Vegas? You're a Mooney now, please don't file a STAR unless you can keep up with the jets.

Have a good safe flight.

I may disagree with ATN at times, but I'd take about 20 of him in the NAS rather than the moron who calls for flight following in the B, over the marker at DA on the active.

And a smart VFR guy would have the presence of mind to do none of the above. Don't smack all VFR guys for the actions of some.

Entertaining thread.

@ATN_Pilot, I agree with @genot. Sounds like you are coming in from the east/southeast, so file PGS KADDY direct. Those seem to be the main fixes on that flow. You might get rerouted, but at least you'll be in the general spot where center flows arrivals.

A good tactic is to look at the arrivals, and file the common fixes on the arrivals. Fore flight does a pretty decent job showing all the STAR's entering the primary airport.

Enjoy your flight.

And a smart VFR guy would have the presence of mind to do none of the above. Don't smack all VFR guys for the actions of some.

Mike,

I respect your contributions here probably more than your CV, but you don't know me and I don't know you. In the instance I mentioned and you quoted it was two Skyhawks 5 MIT who called in turn over the marker. Neither had a clue what a marker was or why it was dangerous to be there. Neither knew what class B airspace was and no, neither knew it as TCA or any similar construct, nor did they know a clearance was required to operate there. I'm not a pilot with your qualifications, but with a scant 300 hours I, as a barely competent pilot at my best knew that isn't safe to plug down a busy airport's final. I also posit it isn't safe to be a pilot without understanding basic airspace.

I could go on and on with one off knuckleheads using charts from the early 70's or just not giving a care about the B. I see it entirely too often.

I'm not insulting VFR pilots. Like I said, you don't know me or my interactions with pilots. You'd probably find me easy going and helpful. I feel like you are confusing my commiserating with a fellow controller and interacting with ATN in a single post.

And yes, I'd rather have a 121 pilot in a GA plane IFR than someone who didn't know the basic concepts of airspace.

Mike,

I respect your contributions here probably more than your CV, but you don't know me and I don't know you.

No offense was taken, and nothing was taken as an insult or being treated as such.

I was just making a general comment that while yes, there are unfortunately many weekend flyers (and even ones who fly more often than that) who sadly don't know the basics of airspace, much less of anything else in flying, and have very low situational awareness overall; I was just commenting that for every one of those, there are the good ones who take the time to do some homework, know the regs, and do their job, to where they aren't a problem for ATC or other pilots.

Unfortunately, the bad ones are the ones who get the attention, the good ones don't even get noticed. I'd love to smack those bad ones across the head more times than you know! :)

I was agreeing with your comments, and trying to also quench any bad taste about VFR guys. And to that effect, the patience I've seen that many controllers show towards some of the bad apple pilots, is a patience I wouldn't be able to have :)

And for the record, your contributions are very much appreciated too here. No question about it, ever.

121 guy in a GA plane is cool. I laugh that he doesn't know how to file a flight plan; but I respect that he's man enough to own up to that here, since he hasn't had to in a long time. :D

[need to add more smiley faces so my ascii characters have clearer tone, sorry for any confusion]

Last edited:
I spent a lot of the last 6 years VFR in class B, never entered without a clearance, or caused any issues. I doubt you could even do what we did under IFR.

VFR is a tool in your toolbox and you should know how to do it and how to do it well and when it's more appropriate than IFR.

There's literally zero that is dangerous about a set of flight rules, its the people who apply (or refuse to) them.

There was a time when I agreed with this 100%. But enough days watching the fuel counter tick away holding short waiting for a release, more than a few 270° vectors on departure for the climb, and being dropped way low, way far out (all of this on perfectly clear days, mind you) mean I avoid flying IFR in the mid-atlantic whenever possible. Unless it's legitimately IMC or I need to be in the FL's I'll stick with flight following (every time), a quick brief from FSS (every time), and an updated route pack on Foreflight (every time). New York airspace is an absolute nightmare in the system (my block time goes up by 50% if I have to file, no joke) and modern technology has advanced lightyears in the last decade for SA.

I learned that about NY the hard way. I flew from PNE to HPN IFR, and holy hell they took me over and back down. I should've gone up the shore VFR at 1,000 feet. Lesson learned.

I learned that about NY the hard way. I flew from PNE to HPN IFR, and holy hell they took me over and back down. I should've gone up the shore VFR at 1,000 feet. Lesson learned.

I usually just have my pen at the ready as soon as tower switches me to departure in the Northeast. 80% of the time I check in, "change in your routing, advise ready to copy"
That's when I cancel and keep my code :)

If there's no preferred route in the afd, just file direct :)

A-B flights, I'll always file. I used to go scout roads to hit up on the motorcycle, fishing/ camping sites, or periodically I had access to a lake renegade, and I'd go splash in the lakes... VFR.

Fltplan/fore flight etc will let you pulled recently cleared routes.. Just file that if you want to fit in.

Back