STARs and speed/altitude restrictions in a GA plane

Stinger said:
departing a towered airport to an uncontrolled airport for....nevermind, those uncontrolled airports are dangerous, you wouldn't go to those.

I'm based at an uncontrolled airport. Still can't figure out why I'd want to take off from Peachtree City and fly to Newnan instead of, you know, driving.

Just file direct to the airport and ATC will take care of vectoring you to where you need to be for the sequence. In regards to the other topics brought up, I absolutely hate people flying around on 1200 codes at "significant altitudes." Example: outside the Atlanta Bravo (over LZU NW to SE or whatever) between 9,500 and 11,500. If more people flew VFR, with flight following, it would make it less likely for issues to occur (TFR busts, possibly mid airs, etc) but they'd still occur.

@ATN_Pilot new day. Not picking a fight or trolling. Just conversation. What was it that brought you to flying? No right or wrong answer. We all arrived at the airport by different journeys and dreams. For me, I've been in and around airplanes since diapers, I could fly a plane before I could drive a car. For me, it was a passion before it also became a job.

On the other hand, I have a friend who became a pilot because he thought he could make a lot of money at it and chicks dig pilots. Has absolutely no passion for aviation and thinks I'm nuts becaus I like to fly around in a little tail dragger.

Anyway, I think the sport and industry is healthier because of all the different types, avenues, and personalities that make up aviation. Hope you have a great flight out to LAS, and get a tailwind both ways!

PS, managed to not hit anyone or anything today while VFR. It was a good day!

Cptnchia said:
@ATN_Pilot new day. Not picking a fight or trolling. Just conversation. What was it that brought you to flying? No right or wrong answer. We all arrived at the airport by different journeys and dreams. For me, I've been in and around airplanes since diapers, I could fly a plane before I could drive a car. For me, it was a passion before it also became a job. On the other hand, I have a friend who became a pilot because he thought he could make a lot of money at it and chicks dig pilots. Has absolutely no passion for aviation and thinks I'm nuts becaus I like to fly around in a little tail dragger.

I'm closer to your story than your buddy's. Been obsessed with airplanes and flying since I was five and first picked up a book about them. A year later my dad took me up to the cockpit of a 737 on my first flight, and then I was really hooked. Took my first flying lesson at 12, soloed at 16, check ride at 17, then finished everything else within a few months of turning 18. So I've been flying for over 20 years, and still love it (although I stopped loving doing it for a living).

But I prefer a different kind of flying than you, I guess. I dream about owning a King Air, not a Pitts. To each his own. Different pilots find different kinds of fun I'm aviation.

Hope you have a great flight out to LAS, and get a tailwind both ways!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Stinger said:
You don't do "see and avoid." Does that mean you don't do visual separation?

Yes, I "do" see and avoid in VMC, as it's the current law of the land. But I think it's archaic and should be tossed aside in favor of a more technological approach to traffic separation.

giphy.gif

I give up.

Back