Speed Restrictions on STARS with no "Descend Via" clearance

I could be wrong here, but I've always assumed that if you get direct a random fix on the arrival(without a descend via or a direct XXX via), that you're not on the arrival and nothing applies. Like say you're going to Denver, filed via the BOSSS2, over in eastern Kansas, get a clearance direct BOSSS. Neither the speed nor altitude restriction of that fix apply.
Yep that’s correct. When in doubt, I just ask

I could be wrong here, but I've always assumed that if you get direct a random fix on the arrival(without a descend via or a direct XXX via), that you're not on the arrival and nothing applies. Like say you're going to Denver, filed via the BOSSS2, over in eastern Kansas, get a clearance direct BOSSS. Neither the speed nor altitude restriction of that fix apply.
Has anyone ever actually flown the YESKA6?

I guess this brings up a point for my own clarification as well. When your originally given clearance that includes a star, but not given further guidance enroute, would you also comply with its restriction in absence of other instructions? (Not necessarily lost coms, but lets say heavy controller workload, or just general assumptions the controller would make knowing it was given in our initial clearance. Since i may be describing my question poorly, ill give an example.

For example, we normally pick up clearence routing in KJAC that involves the ALPINE 2 departure, Direct Brigham city, Bear 5 arrival into salt lake.

I have never flown the entire star as published, usually assigned different altitudes at the named fixes, but should i not be given those explicit instructions, would I just follow the procedure as published? Even without guidance ENROUTE that specifies “cleared bear 5”.

I guess this brings up a point for my own clarification as well. When your originally given clearance that includes a star, but not given further guidance enroute, would you also comply with its restriction in absence of other instructions? (Not necessarily lost coms, but lets say heavy controller workload, or just general assumptions the controller would make knowing it was given in our initial clearance. Since i may be describing my question poorly, ill give an example.

For example, we normally pick up clearence routing in KJAC that involves the ALPINE 2 departure, Direct Brigham city, Bear 5 arrival into salt lake.

I have never flown the entire star as published, usually assigned different altitudes at the named fixes, but should i not be given those explicit instructions, would I just follow the procedure as published? Even without guidance ENROUTE that specifies “cleared bear 5”.

There is no such thing as “cleared bear 5”

If you got a clearance on the ground that included it, you’re cleared to fly it. In absence of any other direction you fly your clearance including the arrival that was assigned to you a million miles away.

Back