Shiney Jet Syndrome

Re: Shiney Jet Syndrom

Just as every male who registers with the selective service today signs up for "the draft". The draft ended 36 years ago.

Yes, it's part of the Selective Service Act, and still in full force today (just googled it). Steve C, it is unlikely that you didn't "register", as it is required by law. Maybe you don't remember it? Go to www.sss.gov and check, maybe?

Yes, it's part of the Selective Service Act, and still in full force today (just googled it). Steve C, it is unlikely that you didn't "register", as it is required by law. Maybe you don't remember it? Go to www.sss.gov and check, maybe?

Selective service started in 1980 for guys born after 1960. The last draftees were draft in dec of 72
with induction dates in 1973...
The old system carried on for a while I think. but there was a gap of several years in the late 70s where it was not required to registered.

The original poster either was either lying, confused, or miscommunicated it.

I think Steve is referring to never having had to have an actual "draft number", due to the draft ending in that time. No number to be put into the "lottery" to be selected by.

Selective Service signup, post-Vietnam draft isn't what he's referring to, if I'm reading it correctly.

Awesome post, RICHARD5.

It's all about perspective, and that's something I've been saying all along. Warning - there are a couple of people around here that don't like that positive attitude. One of them said just a few days ago that this career sucks, " . . . unless you grew up poor and are just happy to have a paycheck".

Yeah, some people do have a sense of entitlement.

Yup, that was me.

But, once again Lloyd, you failed to provide the full context of the post. Further, you might want to fully reference the post - I never stated the career sucks.

Dead end career. . .

Unless of course you grew up poor and are just happy to be making a paycheck.

Kiddies, build enough time to meet 135 IFR minimums. . .stay out of the airlines.

Nevertheless, my point still stands.

If you've grown up in a low income environment with no benefits, you'll be a pig in mud making 35k with health insurance because it's better than what you had growing up.

No sense of entitlement.

You're right though, it is all about perspective.

My perspective is one that growing up I was fortunate to have two working parents that provided myself and my younger siblings a quality of life which afforded us numerous opportunities to travel and have decent health insurance coverage. I want more than what I had growing up, like everyone else. No entitlement mentality from me, just striving to provide a better quality of life for my family than I had growing up.

You may not like that type of perspective because it implies that things are not wonderful. You have a utopian vision of this industry, great, yippee. Some of us are a bit more realistic about what we want out of life and out of our careers. That doesn't mean you're wrong or I'm right, it's simply a matter of perspective.

Awesome post, RICHARD5.

It's all about perspective, and that's something I've been saying all along. Warning - there are a couple of people around here that don't like that positive attitude. One of them said just a few days ago that this career sucks, " . . . unless you grew up poor and are just happy to have a paycheck".

Yeah, some people do have a sense of entitlement.

:):):):):):yeahthat:

Selective Service signup, post-Vietnam draft isn't what he's referring to, if I'm reading it correctly.
You are. He was born before 1960, and is exempt. On a side note, I applied for a government job awhile back and didn't pursue it to the end. However for the initial package, I had to provide a Selective service proof of registration. And I had over 20 yrs in active duty and reserve. Government genius...:rolleyes:

My dad had a draft of 6 during the Vietnam war. Talk about a low number.

RD

My dad had a draft of 6 during the Vietnam war. Talk about a low number.

RD

Amazing how many lives changed, or ended based upon your birthdate. Talk about perspective. My dad graduated from Veterinary Medicine school and was going to open a practice. Low number... Went into the Army Vet Corps, orders to Vietnam and then injured pretty bad on the job before he went. I was a little kid at the time, but our lives took a turn way different from what he had envisioned. I guess that was why I took a little umbrage with the loose use of the term by the OP.

http://www.sss.gov/lotter1.htm

I think Steve is referring to never having had to have an actual "draft number", due to the draft ending in that time. No number to be put into the "lottery" to be selected by.

Actually my memory on this topic is pretty good. It was a BIG DEAL in the early 70's and kind of stuck in my mind. I not only didn't have a draft number, but I never even had to register.

Thanks to granlistillo, he has the correct explanation here:

Selective service started in 1980 for guys born after 1960. The last draftees were draft in dec of 72
with induction dates in 1973...
The old system carried on for a while I think. but there was a gap of several years in the late 70s where it was not required to registered.

The original poster either was either lying, confused, or miscommunicated it.

Draft ended in 73, registration ended in 75. Registration started again in 1980, but I was born in 1958 so didn't have to register. OP should have been in the same circumstances.

I must apologize for my misstatement regarding 'my' draft number. That was an error, I personally never had a "low draft number". And I apologize for any offense I caused to any person.

What happened was in my effort to accurately recount the events from that time I began to reflect on how it was. A heavy mixture of thoughts with liberal amounts of alcohol resulted in the mix-up. It took me several hours to type that post mainly because I was thinking and rethinking and editing as I went. I've always gotten choked up about military service and I suppose it was a flood of emotions which caused me to misrepresent myself.

Again, my apologies. And my best hopes and prayers to those who have served and do serve now.

If I had just been furloughed I would have probably, no certainly, had a few too. Hope you get back flying soon.

I don't feel so old around here anymore! Yay for me! :)

Some of us are a bit more realistic about what we want out of life and out of our careers.

I am extremely realistic about what I want out of this career.

I want to make enough money to live and eat, travel, have fun, and show up to work with a smile on my face.

All checked . . . looks like it's working for me.

I want to make enough money to live and eat, travel, have fun, and show up to work with a smile on my face.

Whoa, Mister. That kind of talk is dangerous. You need to get your mind right and start towin' the line.

Same. Am happy with the aviation I'm doing. Even happier that it doesn't have anything to do with 121, nor the BS involved therein.

But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm closing in on 52 (Sept) I joined the Navy 14 days after my 17th Bday. Went to Hospital Corps School and was getting ready to go to 8404 (combat Medic) School, when they evacuated Saigon and thought I'd get a nice easy job at a clinic somewhere. I dodged the Vietnam bullet, but was assigned to Marine's 3rd ANGLCO later that year and didn't see the inside of a clinic for three years.

Although some of us boomers may have spoiled children, that is over generalizing as well. Check with my two sons and see if spoiled described their childhood.:D

They learned what earning a dollar was all about, I'd help them out every now and then, but the rules still applied. Cosigned for my oldest son on a car. Rules were, insurance with my guy and make the car payments, if you're late, you get one warning, after that the car is mine. Six months later, it was mine. A lot of crying and moaning and gnashing of teeth, but in the end he admitted he screwed up. Both managed to survive bad old Dad, are married with kids and doing well... course they don't fly for a living.

Same. Am happy with the aviation I'm doing. Even happier that it doesn't have anything to do with 121, nor the BS involved therein.

But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Me too. cept I wasn't doing the flying. I was so happy with it I retired and started thinking I should learn how to teach flying:drool:

Who's the putz that invented hold entries anyway:panic:

C'mon, I didn't intend to make this a generational thread. I happen to know many outstanding young men and women. I'm proud of them.

My point was that one, who had never seen adversity, to whine about how piss poor his life has become because of what he perceives as severe misfortune. The irony is he doesn't know of what he speaks.

I don't believe one needs years of experience--although the odds are age will be apt to better understand--to discern what that means, I believe that that understanding can in fact come early in life. My point was one should have a broader perception of just what life involves. It aint all about you.

If any thought that I was generalizing about generations I think either I misstated or they didn't understand. The conundrum here is that inexperience prevents understanding, therefore a younger person may not have the capability of understanding. It's not a youth Vs age thang.

Carry on, aviator.

Back