Shiney Jet Syndrome

Re: Shiney Jet Syndrom

LMAO:) I was thinking the exact same thing as soon as I saw that sentence. Then I came to the conclusion he is probably flying for someone and has to use a crashpad or roomie type setup.
That's exactly it. I took a giant paycut and temporarily left all familiar in order to make this career transition. I'm living in a place close to my place of business. I'm room mates with another pilot.

I am extremely realistic about what I want out of this career.

I want to make enough money to live and eat, travel, have fun, and show up to work with a smile on my face.

All checked . . . looks like it's working for me.

Excellent, then it appears we're in agreement.

Speaking of Shiny Jets, I'm watching a documentary about Air Force One on National Geographic, now thats a shiny jet!!!

I bet RICHARD5 parent's generation would have typed the exact same thing about the spoiled brats of his age, and been as right as he is today.

Congratulations RICHARD, you're officially old.

This is great, thank you CLOCKS!

/thread

I bet RICHARD5 parent's generation would have typed the exact same thing about the spoiled brats of his age, and been as right as he is today.

Congratulations RICHARD, you're officially old.
Let's ask them. (Actual phone conversation to follow)

"Hi dad, how you and mom doing?

"Two week Alaska cruise starting tomorrow, that's great! I think it's the perfect time of the year for that. You and mom have traveled so much, I hope you enjoy yourselves.

"I know you've heard this from me before but thank you for you service to our country. I know you and mom sacrificed a lot to raise me and (four siblings) and I'm still mystified how you did it but thank you so much.

"Listen, there's a question I've always wanted to ask you: What do you think of me of when I was growing up?

Dad: "We always wanted the best for you kids. It was tough but we did it, wouldn't you agree? We gave away alot so you kids could have what we didn't dream of having. I'm sorry for making you feel like you weren't good enough but we love you. Your mother wants to talk with you.

"Hi mom.

Mom, I was asking Dad if you did you thought I acted spoiled.

"No, we thought you were sometimes lazy and wondered if we gave you too miuch but we never thought you spoiled.

"We never thought you were incapable or thought you deserved more than you got.

"Mom, what I'm asking is do you think I acted like I deserved something more?

"Oh no, never. Why do you ask that? You always believed in us and you always did what was asked. I know sometimes we weren't the best for you but never did you show you wanted more.

"Mom, did I act like a spoiled brat, that I deserved more?

"No, none of you kids acted like that. I'm so proud of you kids.

"Mom, I want to thank you for the things you Dad did for me and (four siblings). I know you think you did nothing special but I'm saying you did and I thank you. You gave us opportunity which you only hoped for yourselves. Ilove you and hope youe enjoy your trip to Alaska.

Dudes and dudettes, that's how it wentt on today's phone call.

Let's ask them. (Actual phone conversation to follow)

"Hi dad, how you and mom doing?

"Two week Alaska cruise starting tomorrow, that's great! I think it's the perfect time of the year for that. You and mom have traveled so much, I hope you enjoy yourselves.

"I know you've heard this from me before but thank you for you service to our country. I know you and mom sacrificed a lot to raise me and (four siblings) and I'm still mystified how you did it but thank you so much.

"Listen, there's a question I've always wanted to ask you: What do you think of me of when I was growing up?

Dad: "We always wanted the best for you kids. It was tough but we did it, wouldn't you agree? We gave away alot so you kids could have what we didn't dream of having. I'm sorry for making you feel like you weren't good enough but we love you. Your mother wants to talk with you.

"Hi mom.

Mom, I was asking Dad if you did you thought I acted spoiled.

"No, we thought you were sometimes lazy and wondered if we gave you too miuch but we never thought you spoiled.

"We never thought you were incapable or thought you deserved more than you got.

"Mom, what I'm asking is do you think I acted like I deserved something more?

"Oh no, never. Why do you ask that? You always believed in us and you always did what was asked. I know sometimes we weren't the best for you but never did you show you wanted more.

"Mom, did I act like a spoiled brat, that I deserved more?

"No, none of you kids acted like that. I'm so proud of you kids.

"Mom, I want to thank you for the things you Dad did for me and (four siblings). I know you think you did nothing special but I'm saying you did and I thank you. You gave us opportunity which you only hoped for yourselves. Ilove you and hope youe enjoy your trip to Alaska.

Dudes and dudettes, that's how it wentt on today's phone call.

. . .okay, two things. First did you what tape that conversation and play it back so you could write it word for word..?

And secondly and perhaps most importantly..I can't believe that you'd allow anonymous people you've never met on the internet to have you question both yourself, and your parents to wonder if you were spoiled growing up!

...I'm just sayin'

As a follow-up my last post...not that I think that you've necessarily earned the right--some of you have, you know who are--or that you may even want to hear this. But it must be said as perhaps a standard by which you live.

My father, Ronald J. Hamilton, USMC Maj (Ret) lied about his age to enlist at age 16 for the Korean conflict. He served two terms and was decorated with bronze star, silver star with oak cluster, and purple heart. Life magazine did an expose on him and 7 other marines who re-upped. He served 2 tours in Viet Nam, in Khe San and then Cho Lai.

Once I asked him how many gooks he shot, this after I heard him talking story with several marines who were there. He got very angry at me and told me to never say that again.

Of his 25 yrs service, he was a DI for 11 yrs. The first minutes of the movie, Full Metal Jacket, make me feel right at home. Me and my brothers laugh about it.

I'm sorry for getting all weepy with y'all but if I don't tell his story who will? I love and respect my father. He taught me how to fire a .45 without losing aim and how to kill with my bare hands. He also taught me how to respect others.

. . .okay, two things. First did you what tape that conversation and play it back so you could write it word for word..?

And secondly and perhaps most importantly..I can't believe that you'd allow anonymous people you've never met on the internet to have you question both yourself, and your parents to wonder if you were spoiled growing up!

...I'm just sayin'
I compeletely understand your questions. Arising from my want to accurately portray the phone conversation I took notes. While I didn't audibly record the phone call I did prepare myself with pen and paper before I called my parents.

Yes, it's word for word.

With respect to your 2nd question, my reputation is on the line. Perhaps we'll never meet but it's by word I live and die by. I have nothing but my word.

My flight time, my accomplishments, past or future, mean nothing to me if I cannot uphold my word. In that way I guess it's all about me. Certainly, as you point out it could not be about anonymous individuals on a web board. Still, I take it very seriously that I am who I am (and portray myself to be). I am one who never forgets that my word is my bond. If you ever met me I think you would say I was one you could count on, through thick or thin. That is all that I am.

I compeletely understand your questions. Arising from my want to accurately portray the phone conversation I took notes. While I didn't audibly record the phone call I did prepare myself with pen and paper before I called my parents.

Yes, it's word for word.

With respect to your 2nd question, my reputation is on the line. Perhaps we'll never meet but it's by word I live and die by. I have nothing but my word.

My flight time, my accomplishments, past or future, mean nothing to me if I cannot uphold my word. In that way I guess it's all about me. Certainly, as you point out it could not be about anonymous individuals on a web board. Still, I take it very seriously that I am who I am (and portray myself to be). I am one who never forgets that my word is my bond. If you ever met me I think you would say I was one you could count on, through thick or thin. That is all that I am.

...while I certainly appreciate your character. Remember that hsi is Jetcareers, and more importantly..the internets.

You're always wrong, someone else is always right..knows more than you is the better pilot than you. Has a bigger dick than you and knows how to properly use yours, better than their own. Just an FYI..

I've been here awhile..and I've learned that you argue with a know it all, and that you shouldn't come here trying to cahnge peoples minds. More especially ones that aren't really open to listening or changing their opinion.

So, really..why try?

So it's hard for me to swallow when a youth--who their entire life had only seen prosperity yet had never seen adversary--cries or whines about their 'misfortune'.

Dictionary: Bad fortune or ill luck.

Nothing to do with anyone or anything else. Nothing to do with the economy, then industry, one's position in life, achievements but just bad LUCK.

I am reminded that those who persevere most often prevail.

It goes both ways, the boomers built up nuclear stock piles, and massive pollution, the hubris of the boomers taught us to live on debt, and to expect two full time salaries were required to raise a family. The boomers fought against equality tooth and nail (missouri didn't really de-segregate until the 80's) they placed capitalism as the highest virtue and mortgaged my generation's future for prosperity in the moment.

Saying that "my" generation didn't have it hard is a joke. My generation has it fairly easy now, but the debt and chaos that the boomers created is going to wreak havoc on my generation in future years. Nobody says that the "baby boomers" have it easy, however how hard did the boomers really have it? The fifties were a time of unparalleled economic prosperity in the US, and so were most of the 60's (there were slumps but essentially there was growth from WWII to the 70's) The Viet Nam war was expensive both in terms of life and money,but so is the Iraq war. Sixin one hand, a half dozen in the other.

Back