Regional Airline Job Questions

Future Cpt Kirk

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike. I've been on JetCareer Forums for a few years now.. Don't post much (I did do a running blog of my training experience when I was in flight school at ATP), but I do try to keep up with current news as much as I can. I am currently a CFI, CFII, MEI with roughly 1100 TT and am starting to look into which regionals I will be applying for. I estimate I will reach 1500 TT within six-seven months max.
I am hoping that current airline pilots on here could provide me with some insight to their hiring experiences and what led you to choose your selected airlines. I have been told many different things to consider when looking for my airline of choice (it's great that the industry is strong enough now that we even have a choice)... The one piece of advice I get that consistently stands out is to apply to regionals that will ultimately provide the opportunity to secure a home base. I live in Northern Virginia, so this limits my selection to the following:

Mesa (IAD)
Trans States (IAD)
Air Wisconsin (DCA)
Republic (DCA)
Piedmont (CHO)
CommutAir (IAD)

I've been told to consider contacts, upgrade times, pay...the list goes on. I've also been told to avoid turbo-props as that could slow my progress towards a major (have no idea if there is any truth to this or not).
I have done as much research on my own into these companies as I can... Here are a few things I have come up with:

Mesa
: I have several friends at Mesa. I hear very good things. My concern is that they have been on a hiring spree for a few years now, and I fear if I signed on with them, upgrade times might be longer as there would be a lot of FO's above me.

Trans States & Air Wisconsin
: I have heard good things about TSA and understand they are currently undergoing rapid expansion. On the downside (maybe or maybe not), both TSA and Air Whisky operate 50 seat airframes... Until recently I was told to stay away from 50 seat operations as they were to be largely phased out. With the decline in fuel prices, it seems that maybe this phase out isn't happening anymore? Also, I have heard that Air Whisky upgrade times are very long. I'm not looking for any freebie, unrealistic upgrade times, but also don't want to be stuck in the right seat for years on end. Air Whisky does seem to have nice pay when compared to some of the others...

Republic:
Haven't heard great things, but haven't heard much. What I have learned is that no cancelation pay is offered with his company and that a "concessionary contract" was signed by the pilots. Any thoughts?

Piedmont & CommutAir:
I see that Piedmont is one of the highest paying regionals out there... CommutAir not far behind. Is there any truth to the comment I received that I should avoid turboprops to help my career progression? I was always under the assumption that majors desired turbine time with no differentiation between turboprop or turbofan.

Any insight to these airlines and/or factors that I should consider when choosing would be very much appreciated. I am excited to take the next step in my career!

Sincerely,
Mike

Hey Mike,

From what I know your in a good position for the next couple years for some great progress and better career advancement that the last decade of pain. I'm going to be basis because I work at air Wisconsin. There are pros/cons to each regional. Everybody's journey is different. Its likes giant game of chutes and ladders. If I were starting again I would still pick air Wisconsin. I would also look at TSA just because of the quicker upgrad . And perhaps PDT. I would avoid rah, mesa and commutair. Nothing against them, its just the pay, contract are worse.

Back