Part 135 Opportunities

ilikeairplane

I am fairly new to the dispatch career and was wondering if any of you veteran dispatchers have any information on long term career opportunities for part 135 dispatchers? I am about to start at a part 135 dispatcher position (chose this over a regional 121 offer due to location, pay, and other personal factors) and know that if I eventually want to get hired by a 121 major airline I will have to eventually leave the 135 job and get 121 experience with either a 121 regional, ULCC, cargo before even having a shot at getting hired. But i was curious and had heard from some peers that there are some more obscure 135 jobs that can pay over 6 figures/compete with the legacy 121 pay scales. Something about managing the fleets and dispatching for big companies like JP Morgan or Home Depot that have their own fleets. Can anyone give any information on any possible lucrative 135 dispatcher career paths out there that people have pursued in the past? Thanks.

Never worked in a 135 operation. I know people who have and are now dispatching at a major without any 121 experience. So it is possible.
Only you can determine if being in a 135 career is for you. It isn't all about the money and travel benefits. Oh who am I kidding, yes it is!!!

Seriously, you have to determine what goals you want to achieve and the best way to attain them.

Don't underestimate the bridge that isn't crossed. 91/135 OPS got me started down the road to getting DX-licensed, after ramping at that same company before its FBO side went away. The experience was incredible, and helped me understand operations behind a simple "click-, click-, send" mentality some of us see(or become used to ourselves) daily in SOCs.

As your friends may have explained, there are indeed flight operations at businesses like Ford or Fidelity (I myself was offered such a position back home which I turned down to remain 121) but that work is VERY different and can be VERY trivial with a stupid-high amount of "OH hey by the way" shtuff.

What's your endgame? @F9DXER makes the point that it's you, and Only You, who can prevent Forrest fires or whatever and it's a fair point. I just like entertaining everyone's real reasoning they're aviationists. We're all here for some idiotic nerdy reason, and whether it's as simple as The MoNeY or because moving is a pain, it boils down to that. I fell in love with a DC-10 when I was in kindergarten. Never forgot the sound of out-of-sync CF6s...Here I am.

Don't underestimate the bridge that isn't crossed. 91/135 OPS got me started down the road to getting DX-licensed, after ramping at that same company before its FBO side went away. The experience was incredible, and helped me understand operations behind a simple "click-, click-, send" mentality some of us see(or become used to ourselves) daily in SOCs.

As your friends may have explained, there are indeed flight operations at businesses like Ford or Fidelity (I myself was offered such a position back home which I turned down to remain 121) but that work is VERY different and can be VERY trivial with a stupid-high amount of "OH hey by the way" shtuff.

What's your endgame? @F9DXER makes the point that it's you, and Only You, who can prevent Forrest fires or whatever and it's a fair point. I just like entertaining everyone's real reasoning they're aviationists. We're all here for some idiotic nerdy reason, and whether it's as simple as The MoNeY or because moving is a pain, it boils down to that. I fell in love with a DC-10 when I was in kindergarten. Never forgot the sound of out-of-sync CF6s...Here I am.
Good points. Yeah, I had heard that 135 can be more "oh hey by the way" and less procedural than an established 121 operation. Honestly, (forgive the cliche answer) my endgame is just to be content with the job/career I'm working. I'll see what doors the 135 opportunity opens for me and if it ends up not being for me I'll do what it takes to get on with a 121.

You are correct in assuming there are many different scenarios in the part135 world. Lots of vastly different operations. Clearly, F9dxer did not read your question. He just assumed you wanted to know about the Mighty-Mighty 121 world. Isnt that what we all dream of?
There is a hand full of part125 operators out there also. Think Forturne 50. I have worked for 2 and I was well paid, very professional with highly expericenced crews.
The main difference that is the deal killer for many, is the lack of flight benefits and flight deck access. Some folks really want that perk and it is a nice perk to be sure!!
So just do you and build some time where you are. You can search a number of job sites for other "flight follower" jobs and occasionally you will hit on some big fish.
Google is looking for 2 flight planners types. Based in SJC/remote

Back