Question for airline pilots

Test pilots or airline pilots? Airline pilot never do a full stall (perhaps in sim but I've never heard of it), the stick pusher is strong enough to rip the yoke from your gripe or throw you into the panel. As for test pilots, don't know but stalling a swept wing aircraft has to be nasty.

I know of 2 close stalls in the C-5...First one, pilot set autopilot to hold Mach airspeed in climb .45 is well above stall speed at low altitude, but will stall the plane at higher alt. Second one, pilot is flat out dangerous, not a showoff, just simply does not have the required skills to fly an airplane. Nearly stalled it in the traffic pattern. IP had to take over.

Yes cricket, even airline pilots practice it in the sim. NOT EVERY TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANE HAS A STICK PUSHER. Plus, as a pilot, I always make darned sure I know what my aircraft is going to do no matter what flight regime it's in. Unfamiliarity in flying = an early retirement due to the constraints of a wood box!

[ QUOTE ]
All those computer ninny engineers will tell you that they can determine stall characteristics with a computer. BS man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[sarcasm] Really??

Guess the Boeing ninnies should touch base with the Every-Riddle senior class huh?

I thought the 777 was designed all on a computer. Even certified? without being built. wasn't that the deal?

[ QUOTE ]
You cant design the stick shaker or pusher correctly without this information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chief: Ok BuzzAirman,
hit the skies, when you get back tell us what you found so we can start the design process on the stick shakers!

BuzzArman: You got it Chief! I brought a pen to take notes.

[/sarcasm]

Truthfully the Test flights by the time the acft is ready are there to confirm the design characteristic for the entire performance envelope.

Great, glad to hear it. But, it wasn't in my sim training nor in any of my other friends at other airlines. We must be deficient. By the way "as a pilot, I always make darned sure I know what my aircraft is going to do no matter what flight regime it's in", you don't dictate to your instructor (or can you say wash out) but you can ask. "NOT EVERY TRANSPORT CATEGORY AIRPLANE HAS A STICK PUSHER" True, but I am curious to know if any transport category swept wing aircraft doesn't. I will have to look into that, time to go to work. See ya.

[ QUOTE ]

The unusal attidude is another one that is counter to what you learn in GA, on a nose up situation, you do not level the wings and pitch down, You keep the bank until you have powered over the hump (like a chandel) and are pointed somewhat down, this prevents a flame out on the inside engine of the rolling movement (at least that is how I rememeber it, there may be much much more to it than that)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is actually more of a factor of G-Loading. Jets have a much lower negative G limit than GA airplanes.

[ QUOTE ]
The unusal attidude is another one that is counter to what you learn in GA, on a nose up situation, you do not level the wings and pitch down,

[/ QUOTE ]

In GA, we always got the nose down first and then worried about levelling the wings. We did the same in the airline sim.

One of my Dojet instructors actually put me into an inverted dive for an unusual attitude. (I survived.)

Interesting that you train to let the nose drop. I suppose then, that the nose dropping is an inherant trait of straight wing aircraft. I spent some time training in a B-727-200 simulator and all of the stalls did not generally cause a nose drop, just a HUGE sink rate and a stick shaker. And come to think of it, we didnt even drop the nose with the elevator, just tried to hold altitude and pushed the power to max available. Also, as far as I know, this is pretty standard among swept wing airplanes. No nose drop, and really not much of a buffet. Just falls out the sky like a brick. Quite a shocker the first time you do it!

In the sim, the stalls normally performed are done assuming ground contact is a factor (ie, you're very close to the ground). The object is to recognize the approaching stall (buffet, stick shaker etc.) and then recover with minimum altitude loss. To do that, the pitch attitude is held constant while max power is applied. A big jet can develop a pretty big sink rate very fast if the pitch attitude is lowered during the initial recovery. As engine power increases, pitch attitude is gradually reduced to maintain altitude and increase speed.

At high altitude, the nose is lowered about 5-10 degrees below the horizon as max power is applied. After all, you have plenty of altitude to work with so you might as well trade it for speed. And besides, the engines wouldn't be able to provide enough power to maintain altitude and increase speed to recover.

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming you spent some time on the 727. Great airplane isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 2 years total(FE and FO)before moving on to the B757 fleet. I liked the 727-200 more than the -100 and still think the 727-200 has the cleanest and best looking silhouette while airborne.

Back