Museum of Flight SEA

ClearedForOption

Psychiatric Help 5¢
Who knows anyone there?

Long story short, and this is kind of a cross post from the Masters of the Air thread…

I found my grandfather’s old co-pilot from WW2 on the interwebs. He’s been giving talks about his experiences for years. Up in SEA. His name is Dick Nelms. (2nd from the left, my grandfather is 4th from the left.)

I kinda gave up trying to find out anything once my grandfather died years ago. He never talked about his experiences. Ever.

And because I read the book and then the TV show came out, I found myself trying to find out more again. So, after discovering the serial # of his plane the internet rabbit hole led me to him. He just turned 101 and he gave a talk back in January and unfortunately there’s nothing else on the schedule.

I’d love to just be able to hear a few stories. So, I know this is a huge diverse community… anyone have a connection?

1708030810706.png

Maybe. It's a friend of a friend situation from a few years ago, so most likely a dead end. Nonetheless I sent an inquiry and will follow up with you by PM if something materializes.

Stories from that generation are priceless. I hope you find what you are looking for, one way or another.

Who knows anyone there?

Long story short, and this is kind of a cross post from the Masters of the Air thread…

I found my grandfather’s old co-pilot from WW2 on the interwebs. He’s been giving talks about his experiences for years. Up in SEA. His name is Dick Nelms. (2nd from the left, my grandfather is 4th from the left.)

I kinda gave up trying to find out anything once my grandfather died years ago. He never talked about his experiences. Ever.

And because I read the book and then the TV show came out, I found myself trying to find out more again. So, after discovering the serial # of his plane the internet rabbit hole led me to him. He just turned 101 and he gave a talk back in January and unfortunately there’s nothing else on the schedule.

I’d love to just be able to hear a few stories. So, I know this is a huge diverse community… anyone have a connection?

View attachment 76541

You don't have any other relatives that are pilots with that last name, do you?

You don't have any other relatives that are pilots with that last name, do you?

I have a made up last name that got butchered when my great grandfather came over to the USA after WW1… so I’m related to anyone with the last name ‘Praser’ and there aren’t very many of us.

Other than me, my Uncle (Don) was a Mil->Republic->NWA->Widget DC9 CA. Although he retired before he could fly under the Widget Cert. (Also my aunt has a Tower Cert from back in the 70s and my grandfather has a commercial license from the 40’s)

I have a made up last name that got butchered when my great grandfather came over to the USA after WW1… so I’m related to anyone with the last name ‘Praser’ and there aren’t very many of us.

Other than me, my Uncle (Don) was a Mil->Republic->NWA->Widget DC9 CA. Although he retired before he could fly under the Widget Cert. (Also my aunt has a Tower Cert from back in the 70s and my grandfather has a commercial license from the 40’s)
Gotcha.

There's another guy with that last name here. Not Praser, but Nelms.

If nothing else, try calling the museum and idenifty yourself, then ask to be connected. These kinds of connections are far and few between these days and I’d be surprised if they didn’t bend over backwards to make it happen.

Never been to the Seattle Museum of Flight, but I’m going there for some company event, a Captain dinner thing.

Kinda excited about it!

Thanks!

I found the updated airplane talk schedule and the museum put him on the schedule for a regular talk week from now, so as long as I don’t get used on a trip that day, I’m planning on jumping up to SEA in the AM, and back home that night.
Were you able to make it up there?

Were you able to make it up there?

I got called out to do a 3 day BUF with a 35 hr overnight. So, not only didn’t I make it up there… BUF… 35 hrs. Couldn’t try to commute on the same day as a redeye, yada yada yada…

Saw Dune Pt 2. In BUF though.

And I’m gonna try again on the 28th-ish for his next talk.

I got called out to do a 3 day BUF with a 35 hr overnight. So, not only didn’t I make it up there… BUF… 35 hrs. Couldn’t try to commute on the same day as a redeye, yada yada yada…

Saw Dune Pt 2. In BUF though.

And I’m gonna try again on the 28th-ish for his next talk.
TAKE the time!
The guy is 101, not only is his time limited, so is yours when it comes to the stories you may get from this.
At the end of your time, you will have more regrets about things you didn’t do than those things that you did.

Completely agree with dustoff, figure it out to be off, swap days, etc and make it to SEA. Your time and his time is very limited.

Back