pinnacle and mesaba

wmusigpi

Hello all. I am just wondering how life is working for these companies. I am just starting out in a 135 job so I'm not looking to go tomorrow but depending on how things go here I wouldn't mind getting back to the Detroit area. (course if Northwest called I would be happy to take a seat on a 757 too) I am flying a Jetstream currently though my hours won't grow as quick as if I were working for one of the airlines flying this plane.

You want to PM N9103M about this. He was flying for Pinnacle out of DTW for a while, and now he's doing some 135 work (PIC time).

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I believe both are currently hiring pilots. Pinnacle is all CRJs with DTW, MEM, and MSP bases. They will soon have taken delivery of all the jets Northwest currently has slated for them, and that may put the brakes on growth for a while. They do not pay you ANYTHING (no base pay, no per diem, no lodging, nothing) in training until you pass your checkride, which is off-putting for some people. They are also about to get in to contract negotiations which could get ugly, depending on who you talk to.

Mesaba just got a new contract. They are doing some hiring. Flying Saab 340s and Avro RJ85s out of the DTW, MEM, MSP, and CVG bases. They may (or may not) lose the Avros due to their high operating costs, but Northwest has more CRJ options floating out there, and some people think that Mesaba may get those instead of Pinnacle because of the upcoming contract negotiations there.

I don't work for either, but that's what I know. Like John said, N9103M was a Pinnacle pilot, and there is another Pinnacle pilot on the board here ... PeanuckleCRJ I believe. Don't know if we have any Mesaba members or lurkers, though.

I a DTW based CRJ FO for Pinnacle... instant message me at xtopgun41x on AIM if you want. Ill be online tonight....should be tommorrow night, I typically bring my laptop with me on my overnights...

All in all...its a fun job. Would never fly corporate again. The CRJ is a great airplane..upgrades are accelerating..we are hiring like mad. Ive got a 95 hour line next month with 12 days off. Upgrade time will be within about 12-14 months for me.

Hiring minimums now are 1500 TT and 300 ME...unless youre gulfstream, blah. I'll keep my comments to myself on that subject. They are picking up a pile of guys this year.

Good luck and feel free to IM me anytime.

Ahhh yes, I remember when it was a fun job! (6 months of airport reserve tends to dull the shine a little)

I'm kidding, Pinnacle has a great pilot group. I'd venture to say one of the best in the industry. There are a few bad apples though. Management sucks, but then again, what regional has good management?? The CRJ is a blast. Extremely automated and fun to fly. I hear the lines are getting better now, lots of growth and the new planes from Canuckland are arriving all the time.

But one word of warning on Pinch-nickle, there is NO pay and NO housing allowance during the 2 months of training. Also, you do NOT have a ID to jumpseat home with on the weekends. So you get stuck in Melvis for 2 months. But if your goal is a DTW base, I think you'd do okay.

Some days I do miss it....

Back