1st world problem??

My first trip on reserve was an exactly on the nose 2.5 hour call. All other trips have been 2.5 hour on the nose call outs.

For July I’m forced onto red eye reserve. Just an FYI for those considering Eskimo Airways. AM short call was jr when I decided to bid for CA. At least in SEA. 3rd step changed all that and now all that’s left in open time are red eyes. So that’s the new JR reserve call out. Could be base specific since 30% of SEA lines are red eyes and it’s still pretty much the JR base.

In terms of a commute I’d plan for the worst an hope for the best. It’s going to be a long summer just judging by how things look in the terminal. I wouldn’t want to be out of position when I was called in. Who knows though we can’t really afford to let any FOs go but I’ve heard about it happening even though we are short. Wouldn’t wasn’t to find out but I’m risk adverse. At least at work I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn’t SFO go jr for CAs in the last bid? Also they reduced all of the non SFO/LAX new hire vacancies.

I’ve commuted and driven to base. I’d much rather drive to base to fly a Pterodactyl than commute to fly a widebody with caviar.

Covid made me thankful for domestic. You can have at it.

To each his own.
Have you ever flown a widebody? Just want to make sure we have the full context

Didn’t SFO go jr for CAs in the last bid? Also they reduced all of the non SFO/LAX new hire vacancies.

Don’t think so. I’m super JR. I usually fly with FOs senior to me…

All I know is that due to 8 volunteers I remained a captain in SEA.

Like others have said in this thread, the “Socal way” seems to be to accept the fact that you can’t get in or out of LA in the morning, lunch time or afternoon (so basically all day) - so just stay put, find something cool to do until the evening and then enjoy the much more relaxing drive home. Like Jordan said redeyes would probably be an advantage. Definitely seems like there are worse things then paddle boarding around Marina Del Rey. :D
Lol Bay Area is similar, the East Bay is a parking lot most of the day. The Peninsula isn't bad so I stay around here mostly during daylight on weekdays.

*August eligible to bid list has the following:

ANC 8/2017
LAX Airbus 6/2013
2100 LAX 6/2017
2000 PDX 12/2016
2350 SEA 5/2018
2270 SFO 2/2018

My methodology for coming up with a relative seniority date used the latest seniority list which is 6 month old ish. So it's not entirely accurate for exact date but should be accurate for the relative seniority required in each base.

I am now 4th from the bottom on the eligible to bid list for SEA lol

In terms of a commute I’d plan for the worst an hope for the best. It’s going to be a long summer just judging by how things look in the terminal. I wouldn’t want to be out of position when I was called in.

Pretty SEA specific, but how bout that NEPL bus detour route? Anyone believe it is only gonna be an "extra 6 minutes"? I'll be interested to see how an extra 6 minutes, both ways, has a cascading effect on how long you have to wait on either end.......on top of the fact that all the main terminal lot people are now piling into the busses as well. Maybe they will add another couple buses to the mix? Nah, I'm sure port of Seattle has thought of all that......

Pretty SEA specific, but how bout that NEPL bus detour route? Anyone believe it is only gonna be an "extra 6 minutes"? I'll be interested to see how an extra 6 minutes, both ways, has a cascading effect on how long you have to wait on either end.......on top of the fact that all the main terminal lot people are now piling into the busses as well. Maybe they will add another couple buses to the mix? Nah, I'm sure port of Seattle has thought of all that......

Not to mention having to pick a new route to get to the lot…

It’s going to add at least 30 minutes to my trip.

Not to mention having to pick a new route to get to the lot…

It’s going to add at least 30 minutes to my trip.

Yup, same. I think for me, coming from the north, it just means coming in the opposite way (Boeing building on the left rather than right)/I-5 exit 156 vs 154, but it gonna be a pain. Maybe only an additional 10 mins, not counting extra bus time in my case, though more traffic on that sleepy neighborhood route might end up being more than that.

Yup, same. I think for me, coming from the north, it just means coming in the opposite way (Boeing building on the left rather than right)/I-5 exit 156 vs 154, but it gonna be a pain. Maybe only an additional 10 mins, not counting extra bus time in my case, though more traffic on that sleepy neighborhood route might end up being more than that.

I'm coming from 405 so it's going to be awful since I'll have to drive North on 5 which is extremely congested and then around the way you'll be going. Or take 90 to 5 South which means battling the commuters going west on 90. My chill 35 minute drive became over an hour... the same month I was assigned red eye reserve which was my last choice lol.

I already budget 1.5 hours to get to the gate. So now it will be 2. Thank goodness we got an extra 30 minutes of reserve call out because it's already gone.

I guess with a 2.5 hour call out I can ask for short term parking at the garage but that means expense reports....

I'm coming from 405 so it's going to be awful since I'll have to drive North on 5 which is extremely congested and then around the way you'll be going. Or take 90 to 5 South which means battling the commuters going west on 90. My chill 35 minute drive became over an hour... the same month I was assigned red eye reserve which was my last choice lol.

Yeah that is the worst. The northbound exits don't match the SB out there.

Yeah that is the worst. The northbound exits don't match the SB out there.

I'm pretty sure from my corporate days I can use the same exit that you'll likely be using. Since we would usually stay around Renton to save money and drive north to Boeing. The big difference is that it will be filled with gridlock going north.

I'm pretty sure from my corporate days I can use the same exit that you'll likely be using. Since we would usually stay around Renton to save money and drive north to Boeing. The big difference is that it will be filled with gridlock going north.

Yeah I see you are right on both counts.

Yeah I see you are right on both counts.

It's just crazy that since I bid for captain:

- we have lost parking in the short term lot
- the bridge project is going to add at least 30 minutes of commuting and bus rides
- there are two major projects on 90 and 405 that will go for years
- highway 18 my back up commute route started a multi year project that has made that route unusable
- 3rd step has made short call red eye reserve go junior

All of these issues and the TSA issue are driving me right up to the 2.5 hour call out even though I only live 35 minutes away from the employee lot normally. It's kind of wild how fast things changed. My first day of red eye reserve is the 4th and the 5th the bridge project starts.

Back