New around town

Xopilotlo

Hi There!

My name is Lorin and I've been a part of the community a few weeks. I figured I should say hello! :cool:

I found about the forum from @Bumblebee and I am excited to spend lots of time going down rabbit holes and reading about the experiences and adventures you all have had while journey through creating careers as pilots!

I am currently a CFI, I have my ME , AGI & IGI. I was an electrical engineer in corporate America for much of my 20s and then at 30 had a life crisis and found aviation. In 3 years I've really been drinking from the water fountain, whole head in! The short version of my road here is that I quit my job, spent my life savings on training and an airplane and never looked back?

I'm based at KLHM and love working with my students and hanging out at the airport. I get to fly right seat in a KA C90 sometimes, I am part owner of a cute little red RV 6A and train students in PA28 and Cessnas.

I'm here to learn as much as I can, get some insights on how to build the dreaded hours and hours of multi time (so if you have and connections or recommendations please let me know :)), and figure out what I want to do with this new career! I am not really interested in the airline route and would like to stay close to GA, get into air racing and aerobatics and eventually own an airport/flight school operation.

I'm excited to have been recommended this site as a connection point and thrilled to get to know you all!!

Awesome Lorin, welcome! I'd say Thermo 2 or CFD 1 was what convinced me to keep my day job and just fly planes (my ME degree is my only claim to any sort of "engineering", unlike you). Glad you saw the light :) Your career aspirations are commendable, stick with it!

Welcome!
While Im certainly not as experienced or knowledgeable as most here, best insight I can give is not to “dread” the building hours step so much. The time comes quicker than you realize so just enjoy the ride.

Nice to have you here, Lorin. Where did you do your flight training? Get 500 hours of multi and Dale could use you for Air Attack. It's a fun little summer gig.

Awesome Lorin, welcome! I'd say Thermo 2 or CFD 1 was what convinced me to keep my day job and just fly planes (my ME degree is my only claim to any sort of "engineering", unlike you). Glad you saw the light :) Your career aspirations are commendable, stick with it!
yup took thermo 2 times and got "help" through CFD heheh... thankfully the corp career was not engineering intensive but still crazy enough to make me lose my mind and give it all up for the high life! Wonder if I could have missed that pain had I of known about aviation ALOT SOOONER !!! :bounce:

Nice to have you here, Lorin. Where did you do your flight training? Get 500 hours of multi and Dale could use you for Air Attack. It's a fun little summer gig.
I've already told him to keep me in his back pocket!! I did my training here in the Sac valley. Started at Woodland 041, that was short lived thanks to covid. And then started training in Lincoln KLHM, got through about 5-10 hours and got offered a partnership in a Piper Archer. Used that and my instructor/mentor to do PPL, IRA, CPL. Started my ME at Sac exec and got screwed so went out to NM and finished it at KLRU. Went back to KLRU a few weeks later and did my CFI initial.

Built the time just hanging around Lincoln and getting connected through my mentor and folks. I quit my job so I've honestly been an airport bum for the last 2.5 years. I was able to get my hood time flying a Cherokee 180 from here to Missouri. Then got 30 hours in a Great Lakes flying from NY to AZ (crazy trip and I still don't have a tailwheel endorsement).

I used to do taildragger endorsements in a Cessna 140. Ended up ground looping a Luscombe (no damage done) and that was it for me and taildraggers. I won't own another one, I'm sure, and it's no big deal. I do have a friend with some RV taildragger who wants me to teach her in it. Maybe if I can do it on grass to start with, and no winds, I'll agree to it.

Hi There!

My name is Lorin and I've been a part of the community a few weeks. I figured I should say hello! :cool:

I found about the forum from @Bumblebee and I am excited to spend lots of time going down rabbit holes and reading about the experiences and adventures you all have had while journey through creating careers as pilots!

I am currently a CFI, I have my ME , AGI & IGI. I was an electrical engineer in corporate America for much of my 20s and then at 30 had a life crisis and found aviation. In 3 years I've really been drinking from the water fountain, whole head in! The short version of my road here is that I quit my job, spent my life savings on training and an airplane and never looked back?

I'm based at KLHM and love working with my students and hanging out at the airport. I get to fly right seat in a KA C90 sometimes, I am part owner of a cute little red RV 6A and train students in PA28 and Cessnas.

I'm here to learn as much as I can, get some insights on how to build the dreaded hours and hours of multi time (so if you have and connections or recommendations please let me know :)), and figure out what I want to do with this new career! I am not really interested in the airline route and would like to stay close to GA, get into air racing and aerobatics and eventually own an airport/flight school operation.

I'm excited to have been recommended this site as a connection point and thrilled to get to know you all!!
Hey! Far out.

Back