1st world problem??

It's just crazy that since I bid for captain:

- we have lost parking in the short term lot
- the bridge project is going to add at least 30 minutes of commuting and bus rides
- there are two major projects on 90 and 405 that will go for years
- highway 18 my back up commute route started a multi year project that has made that route unusable
- 3rd step has made short call red eye reserve go junior

All of these issues and the TSA issue are driving me right up to the 2.5 hour call out even though I only live 35 minutes away from the employee lot normally. It's kind of wild how fast things changed. My first day of red eye reserve is the 4th and the 5th the bridge project starts.
You must've pissed off some people in very high places. Just kidding, sometimes life sucks. When the ink on my A/P was still drying I lived in Tujunga CA and I got my first mechanic job up at Santa Paula airport. And then the Northridge quake happened, it was already a 63 mile commute each way before the freeway bridges fell down. I never thought the world was conspiring against me, I wouldn't have cared if it was because I was young, dumb and I had a 4X4 Toyota truck. I guess my point is life seems to try to beat you down and occasionally tease you with what is just out of your reach. Everyone has a sob story, no one wants to hear them. Chances are when you're old you'll look back at some of the hardest times in your life with a sort of rose tinted nostalgia, at least I do.

You must've pissed off some people in very high places. Just kidding, sometimes life sucks. When the ink on my A/P was still drying I lived in Tujunga CA and I got my first mechanic job up at Santa Paula airport. And then the Northridge quake happened, it was already a 63 mile commute each way before the freeway bridges fell down. I never thought the world was conspiring against me, I wouldn't have cared if it was because I was young, dumb and I had a 4X4 Toyota truck. I guess my point is life seems to try to beat you down and occasionally tease you with what is just out of your reach. Everyone has a sob story, no one wants to hear them. Chances are when you're old you'll look back at some of the hardest times in your life with a sort of rose tinted nostalgia, at least I do.

The good news is that I still live in base. I'm not outside the 2.5 hour call window. Theoretically by 2024 my commute should be back to normal.

The really good news is that becoming a captain has been the best thing I have ever done since getting hired at my current employer. I simply just love my job now. Every one of the FOs I've worked with so far have done a great job. The FAs have all been great. I've done the walk every leg to make sure we can accommodate jump seaters. I make tons of small mistakes every leg. I never get the outside lighting correct for the phase of flight it seems but other than that it's like 99% of the issues I have had as an FO have just gone away. I try and support my crew as best as I can and in return I have a very low stress problem free existence. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I've thought about doing a write up on my experience of becoming a captain at a major airline but with so much negativity here and people who just outright call me stupid I'm wavering on the idea.

All of these issues and the TSA issue are driving me right up to the 2.5 hour call out even though I only live 35 minutes away from the employee lot normally.
The 2.5 call out is to the employee lot, not the gate.
really good news is that becoming a captain has been the best thing I have ever done since getting hired at my current employer.
Nice! It’s great isn’t it. No BS and you set the tone. Congrats again!

The 2.5 call out is to the employee lot, not the gate.

Nice! It’s great isn’t it. No BS and you set the tone. Congrats again!

Haha well I'll pull into the lot and chill out then. Getting to the lot isn't so bad its the bus and then the TSA that really adds a lot of time.

I've thought about doing a write up on my experience of becoming a captain at a major airline but with so much negativity here and people who just outright call me stupid I'm wavering on the idea.

Some of us still skim through a lot of the crap to get good prespective here. Please share, I for one could gain some knowledge from it and that is why I am still here.

Nah, man, you definitely should. You bring a lot of insight with a diverse background and you don't sugar coat it. Your synopsis would be beneficial to a lot of younger folks here who are trying to get a foot in the door. Don't worry about CC, he's a curmudgeon.

Nah, man, you definitely should. You bring a lot of insight with a diverse background and you don't sugar coat it. Your synopsis would be beneficial to a lot of younger folks here who are trying to get a foot in the door. Don't worry about CC, he's a curmudgeon.

Uplifting one by putting down another?

Same ol JC tactics. I didn’t say anything about anyone’s upgrade experience.

Uplifting one by putting down another?

Same ol JC tactics. I didn’t say anything about anyone’s upgrade experience.
I responded to your PM. You can leave it at that, or if you want, we can carry on the conversation in this thread, it's up to you.

I didn't mention anything about "uplifting one by putting down another." Beef has a diverse background, which could possibly give a little insight to someone trying to break into aviation. I'll leave it at that.

1688400152548.gif

Back in the day, we had link at JC called "Perspectives" where people could tell their story from zero to hero. No ability for comments, didn't need to be a member, just a place for young'uns or those with an interest to go and see how one person did it. I really miss being able to refer people to that page.

Back in the day, we had link at JC called "Perspectives" where people could tell their story from zero to hero. No ability for comments, didn't need to be a member, just a place for young'uns or those with an interest to go and see how one person did it. I really miss being able to refer people to that page.

Yup. Can see it via archive.org

@derg

What happened to jetcareers.com the main website? Now it just redirects to the forum. Is it all gone?

I still have it, it's just that the content is extremely dated.

Write it anyway, I lack things to read and these stories are always interesting.

I mean I didn’t expect y’all to be clamoring for my viewpoint on anything considering that dude with the Stig avatar just insinuated I was a dumbass a couple weeks ago…

I’ll probably see how things go with red eye reserve this month. If I don’t taxi into a large immovable object because I’m dead tired I’ll post something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean I didn’t expect y’all to be clamoring for my viewpoint on anything considering that dude with the Stig avatar just insinuated I was a dumbass a couple weeks ago…

I’ll probably see how things go with red eye reserve this month. If I don’t taxi into a large immovable object because I’m dead tired I’ll post something up.

Hey, we're all a dumbass to someone, somewhere! REJOICE and live yo' life! :)

I’m your special dumbass Derg…

Seriously, wait 'til that first drop in free testosterone levels in your blood as you approach middle age, everything is aww'right aww'right aww'right.

"My bills are paid AF, I'm good!"

Back