Oh United (tail strike version)

What are these FO's doing to distinguish themselves so incredibly? Somewhat related sidenote, I'm sure you saw the numbers relating to recent training attrition. That kind of blew my mind as well. I don't say that as if it is a bad thing, it certainly isn't, if folks aren't meeting the bar, but thats wild.

When I read the post you responded to I thought to myself: “oh great, it’s XOJET all over again.” At least until this case a terrible leader that says these kinds of things can not affect someone’s career and income because they had a bad day, said something the captain didn’t like or belonged to a religious or ethnic minority that a captain didn’t like. Which is what happened to me at XOJET.

The captains had an email list that was maintained by a terrible human being. One of the worst I’ve met in my lifetime. He maintained an email list that was primarily used by XOJET captains to trash talk FOs that were liberals, or were women, etc, etc. I have copies of these emails. As I was placed on the list for a time.

Please don’t give the “this FO/Captain is terrible” any kind of credence. Sure there is a captain list at AS. I looked at it once and saw a lot of people I had flown with. Were some of them strange? Sure without a doubt. They were genuinely nice people though and couldn’t hold a candle to what I experienced at XOJET. The list just sets up an expectation bias of bad CRM.

Just be yourself. Do a good job. Ask questions. Be assertive when you feel you need to. Don’t expect to be friends with everyone you are paired with at the job. But enjoy it when it happens.

All of the FOs I’ve met have been incredible during the upgrade process. Sure it’s a small sample size but so far it’s been great.

I asked for a pride lanyard from ALPA. It’s my way as a middle age white dude to try and set the following tone: Your background doesn’t matter to me. Let’s have a good time, be safe and go home without filling out any paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not everyone wants to be friends with their coworkers, and there's nothing wrong with that. Extroverts trying to force introverts to conform to their way of things is extremely annoying. Leave him alone.
To be honest, his virtual airline has a “reputation” and I honestly do not blame him for not associating with the crew on the layovers.

To be honest, his virtual airline has a “reputation” and I honestly do not blame him for not associating with the crew on the layovers.

Someone is starting to get it. At a virtual airline after a high profile incident, a now removed VP of virtual Flight Ops sent an email that wrote, “Captains, we’re going to hold you to a higher standard on layovers.”

One glance at that, and I’m like: no thanks. I don’t want to get caught up in a situation where something happens and then I get questioned about it and potentially have a CA job on the line for high school/college level drama/BS.

My work is my work, not my socialize place. Sorry, I desire zero layover drama.

At checkin hotel, “I’ll cya at van time tomorrow!” :)

That's fine, choose your own adventure. Good for you.

Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction by helping because it pays "dividends" in big and small ways, but that's a story for another thread.

Glad you don't work long haul. You'll be on everyone's do not fly list.

Why?!

We just flew 14 hrs together. “Quick! Change your uniform and let’s go out for a dinner for another 3 hrs of hanging out because we didn’t see enough of us that day!”

Sorry, I would think I’m the dream guy to hang with: the guy who isn’t there and leaves you alone to do your thing :)

Someone is starting to get it. At a virtual airline after a high profile incident, a now removed VP of virtual Flight Ops sent an email that wrote, “Captains, we’re going to hold you to a higher standard on layovers.”

One glance at that, and I’m like: no thanks. I don’t want to get caught up in a situation where something happens and then I get questioned about it and potentially have a CA job on the line for high school/college level drama/BS.
Oh I remember that email...it was sent down to other airlines as well. Talk about a screwed up way to go about doing things.

All because they gave someone $2.9 million and then that person got fired less than 6 months later.

thats the only ‘real flying’ you can think of? a sport where you live out cowboy fantasy and ride a one wheel around the fbo?
not like medevac in a lear or cape air pilots flogging 402s in ice or doing magdet in a 310 or cloud seeding in a clapped out seneca?
I cant wait for the next version of GPT so this bot gets more creative
Indeed, I got sucked in. You are correct; I was hyperbolic in my response.

My response was scribed with no intention of disrespect. Nor was it written out of ignorance of the other types of aviation you cited. It was written for concision. (I get yelled at quite a lot around here for being a wee tad too verbose.) In this case, my attempt at concision led to a lack of comprehensiveness. It happens a lot around here, but just because something is common or normal does not make that thing correct. I stand corrected.

Thanks.

I would think the 767-400 would be prone to this as well but just a visual guess.
me, when the pitch awareness report says 1.98 deg/sec rotation rate:
happy-cat-smiling-6__880.jpg

Speaking of cats, DCW, how's the cat search going? Aww, he just woke up it looks like! :)

(2 points!)
Lots of searching, not a lot of acquisition.

As you know, there's no real reason for me to live where I do right now other than this happens to be where I own a house, and squaring away the living situation first seems to be responsible. It's probably going to take at least the much-vaunted "next AE" (whenever that is :rolleyes:) before I feel comfortable and certain enough to push various buttons, including cats.

I'd not feel great leaving them alone for a week (or more, as the occasion may arise), even with pet-sitters, etc.

Lots of searching, not a lot of acquisition.

As you know, there's no real reason for me to live where I do right now other than this happens to be where I own a house, and squaring away the living situation first seems to be responsible. It's probably going to take at least the much-vaunted "next AE" (whenever that is :rolleyes:) before I feel comfortable and certain enough to push various buttons, including cats.

I'd not feel great leaving them alone for a week (or more, as the occasion may arise), even with pet-sitters, etc.

Tell "G" it's time for an active adult community, "for her comfort", and suddenly, SoCal bachelor paaaaaaaad! DOOO IT!

Tell "G" it's time for an active adult community, "for her comfort", and suddenly, SoCal bachelor paaaaaaaad! DOOO IT!
I mean, I'm thus far very much enjoying the flying I get to do now, and going to LAX would surely mean the end of that and a return to various kinds of, er, fun I guess, even if it was 7ERA. But from your lips to Red Square's ears on that topic too.

I am the brother who lives the furthest and who, on average, visits the most, which has always been a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I'm also the only one who seems to be able to carry on a meaningful conversation with Dad, so that probably has a lot to do with it too.

Funny you mention it, and this has been much on my mind, I would very much like to see them out of CMA if for no other reason than getting there is a pain in the ass. But I also would like to see Mom live somewhere more walkable (or walkable at all) as her vision isn't getting any better.

What does my desire to help other people have a better time at work have to do with being passionate about being a pilot? Absolutely none of the things I do for fun have anything to do with my job. None of my friends (with a few exceptions of JC members I've known forever) are pilots. It's just a job. A very good one... but if I didn't have to do it to fund the other things I actually want to do in life, I sure as hell wouldn't. Thankfully (and @derg just mentioned this in FB post) my current position allows me to bid 4 and 5 say international trips so I can get paid to do what I want and explore new places... but it sure isn't the actual sitting in the seat bit that gets me excited to pack for a 10 hour flight to Sydney.

I'm kind of confused why you'd be sad for me because I feel that way.
I’m still the giddy kid that lives going to work, but I fully understand what you’re saying. 4 leg six days with 24+hour overnights in fun cities in Europe is much different than 4 leg Florida shuttles with min rest.

Doing Union stuff has nothing to do with loving being a pilot. I did union stuff because I liked helping other people out.
Being an airline pilot is about service, not self-actualization. Just like doing union work is about service, not self-actualization.

I happen to enjoy both (I'm one of those weird people who actually does like flying; I had a blast in a DiamondStar the other day of all things), but I'm where I am for the money and for the quality of life.

Back