Oh United (tail strike version)

Because ASAPs usually represent screwups. Some honest, some outright dumb.
Curious if you’ve ever read the LOA ?
But hey, at least you have the confidence to criticize those who knew enough to know when they screwed up.
1683250316591.gif

How easy is it to thunk the tail on takeoff in a 757-300?

Snap! I've been hearing a lot lately about airline pilots threatening to "strike", 'cause dey so po. I had no idea they were talkin' 'bout dis kinda OG "Stee-Rike!"

Serious airline skilz! Keepin' it reeeeeal!

Sweet! Nice slick landin' strip. Eeeez Niiiiice!

Present!!

Last edited:
I’m still the giddy kid that lives going to work, but I fully understand what you’re saying. 4 leg six days with 24+hour overnights in fun cities in Europe is much different than 4 leg Florida shuttles with min rest.

Doing Union stuff has nothing to do with loving being a pilot. I did union stuff because I liked helping other people out.

Do fun things with people you like working with is what I live by. But that means you end up with a lot of CFLY/PFLY on your schedule, ha!

What does my desire to help other people have a better time at work have to do with being passionate about being a pilot? Absolutely none of the things I do for fun have anything to do with my job. None of my friends (with a few exceptions of JC members I've known forever) are pilots. It's just a job. A very good one... but if I didn't have to do it to fund the other things I actually want to do in life, I sure as hell wouldn't. Thankfully (and @derg just mentioned this in FB post) my current position allows me to bid 4 and 5 say international trips so I can get paid to do what I want and explore new places... but it sure isn't the actual sitting in the seat bit that gets me excited to pack for a 10 hour flight to Sydney.

I'm kind of confused why you'd be sad for me because I feel that way.

I think I just assumed most people enter this career as a passion for flying. I can’t imagine doing this career with a feeling of “meh it’s just a job that pays bills.”

Had a FO who was into sailing. Completely passionate and an instructor, also looking to get a bigger sailboat and teach others how to sail in his own boat. After our trip, he said “how flying is to you, sailing is to me.”

If I’m off for 6-7 days, I look forward to the next trip. I literally feel on cloud 9. This is everything I thought it would be. :)

I hope this feeling doesn’t go away and I think it’s just a chore to do in order to make money.

I’m still the giddy kid that lives going to work, but I fully understand what you’re saying. 4 leg six days with 24+hour overnights in fun cities in Europe is much different than 4 leg Florida shuttles with min rest.

Doing Union stuff has nothing to do with loving being a pilot. I did union stuff because I liked helping other people out.

I’m the opposite. I entered this job to fly. Doing a committee work would take me away with that, involve ALPA training in DC, and then Flight Loss Pay off trips while I do that committee work. All that would take me away from actual flying. That’s why I’m not on any committee.

I think I just assumed most people enter this career as a passion for flying.

You assume lots of things... amazingly you are pretty consistently wrong about them.

I’m the opposite. I entered this job to fly. Doing a committee work would take me away with that, involve ALPA training in DC, and then Flight Loss Pay off trips while I do that committee work. All that would take me away from actual flying. That’s why I’m not on any committee.

It also gives you less days off, less pay, less control of your schedule, more interruptions of family time, and more pilots that hate you (depending on what you do for the union).

Snap! I've been hearing a lot lately about airline pilots threatening to "strike", 'cause dey so po. I had no idea they were talkin' 'bout dis kinda OG "Stee-Rike!"

Serious airline skilz! Keepin' it reeeeeal!

Sweet! Nice slick landin' strip. Eeeez Niiiiice!

Present!!

Don't hate on those guys just because your plane is too small to physically hit the tail and not the wheels.

Don't hate on those guys just because your plane is too small to physically hit the tail and not the wheels.
Meh, I've flown big and small. Never bent metal or hurt anyone in either category. I'd MUCH rather fly small.

If somebody paid me a "real" pilot salary to bash about in a Husky or a Carbon Cub flying into and out of Idaho canyons, that would be my job of choice in a New York minute. That is the only flying that is really, you know, flying. I could train a monkey to push A/P buttons and run checklists.

Last edited:
That is the only flying that is really, you know, flying. I could train a monkey to push A/P buttons and run checklists.
thats the only ‘real flying’ you can think of? a sport where you live out cowboy fantasy and ride a one wheel around the fbo?
not like medevac in a lear or cape air pilots flogging 402s in ice or doing magdet in a 310 or cloud seeding in a clapped out seneca?
I cant wait for the next version of GPT so this bot gets more creative

If I’m off for 6-7 days, I look forward to the next trip. I literally feel on cloud 9. This is everything I thought it would be. :)

I hope this feeling doesn’t go away and I think it’s just a chore to do in order to make money.

I can agree with this. I've done a few short blocks of mil leave since I consolidated, and I (kinda surprisingly to me) end up missing it. It isn't flying upside down or pulling a bunch of G's fighting another jet, but I'm starting to get to an age where I can only do that stuff here and there. I instructed 6 BFM (aka dogfighting) flights in 3 days (in a row) last week, briefing the first event at 0600 each day (0400 home/west coast/internal clock time), and was done with my last debrief around 1800 or so. At the end of day 3, I was spent beyond words. 10 years ago, I had weeks like that and they were never a big deal. But that's like 30 dogfights, mostly somewhere between 4-7G, a good couple minutes each, in that much time. Although that stuff is still fun of course, but I appreciate the chill, stress free, shirtsleeve flying environment of the airliner more and more.

At the airlines, we call it the CA word-of-mouth. It goes something like "who you flying with next?" And CA says "F/O xxxxxx" And then he hears "Oh man, good luck to you. I hope I don't have to fly with him anytime soon" or even worse "if I see him again, I'm calling to get him removed..." kinda thing.

That gives me the heads up I need. And now as a CA you can take steps to mitigate threats even better.

What are these FO's doing to distinguish themselves so incredibly? Somewhat related sidenote, I'm sure you saw the numbers relating to recent training attrition. That kind of blew my mind as well. I don't say that as if it is a bad thing, it certainly isn't, if folks aren't meeting the bar, but thats wild.

What are these FO's doing to distinguish themselves so incredibly? Somewhat related sidenote, I'm sure you saw the numbers relating to recent training attrition. That kind of blew my mind as well. I don't say that as if it is a bad thing, it certainly isn't, if folks aren't meeting the bar, but thats wild.

I thought the “ if I see him again, I’m calling to get him removed” comment was interesting.

Scheduling def can‘t do that, and I’d say 90% of Chief Pilots would say “ you’re a big boy deal with it and if you can’t you need to take yourself off the trip…”

The issue I have is their analysis always blames inexperienced crews, even though they were once in that position and seemingly invincible to any such scenario, and never really interested in having a discussion from a true human factors standpoint, rather the discussion is more from a ridicule and “I told you so.” position.

I just see a whole lot of assumptions in your comments that weren’t in his actual post.

No, I get what he's saying. There's one VX CA that I've flown with many times and respect. When I was a FO, he said to me "I wish I had your passion for this."
I am saddened reading about your lack of passion - I would have never guessed it. From your work to your volunteerism at ALPA, I would have thought you were very passionate about this job. I feel sorry if you didn't have that and/or have lost that. :(

The desire to help your fellow pilots is not linked to an actual love of flying. I got into aviation because of a passion for it from a very young age, but that had nothing to do with why I did union work.

Meh, I've flown big and small.

BB270330-CF69-4979-825A-47375C0C0ACA.gif

I just see a whole lot of assumptions in your comments that weren’t in his actual post.

First, I have some concern that you're okay since I didn't get a laugh emoji response. Secondly, it is always the jump to conclusions mat over there with the same two broken record outcomes - either low time pilots are the issue or training, and with the second of those two - never misses the opportunity to tout their own training history. In the last 100+ years we have figured out many ways to crash airplanes, and sometimes we even come up with new ways. New ways which we should discuss, and learn from as the old 'pilot error' isn't concise enough to explain an event like Windsor 114 or Pacific SW 182. Human factors is quite fascinating, and could be something to learn from. Such as Alaska's recent tailstrikes, in the old mentality it would be chalked up as pilot error or a technical fault (as they say in other parts of the world) and end of discussion. When in reality it was determined to be pilots did what the FMGC told them to do that resulted in the over rotation. Bad data + correct procedures = error.

First, I have some concern that you're okay since I didn't get a laugh emoji response. Secondly, it is always the jump to conclusions mat over there with the same two broken record outcomes - either low time pilots are the issue or training, and with the second of those two - never misses the opportunity to tout their own training history. In the last 100+ years we have figured out many ways to crash airplanes, and sometimes we even come up with new ways. New ways which we should discuss, and learn from as the old 'pilot error' isn't concise enough to explain an event like Windsor 114 or Pacific SW 182. Human factors is quite fascinating, and could be something to learn from. Such as Alaska's recent tailstrikes, in the old mentality it would be chalked up as pilot error or a technical fault (as they say in other parts of the world) and end of discussion. When in reality it was determined to be pilots did what the FMGC told them to do that resulted in the over rotation. Bad data + correct procedures = error.

While there are lots of ways to crash planes, over the last couple decades, it seems almost exclusively to come from from pilots with low experience or a record of terrible training performance.

Back