New Instrument PTS?

jawright

I've been looking both in pilot shops and on the FAA website for the new instrument and CFII PTS and so far haven't had any luck. Does anyone have a link that goes directly to the new PTS? The only ones on the FAA site seem to go to the old one. Thanks.

I've been looking both in pilot shops and on the FAA website for the new instrument and CFII PTS and so far haven't had any luck. Does anyone have a link that goes directly to the new PTS? The only ones on the FAA site seem to go to the old one. Thanks.

How do you know there is a new one? I haven't seen anything regarding this.

The FSDO here had a CFI seminar in December and they mentioned that one was coming out in January of this year.

The FSDO here had a CFI seminar in December and they mentioned that one was coming out in January of this year.

Looks like they were mistaken. ;) However, I did see a newsgroup posting that had a link to that PTS, but the target page was removed from the FAA website. Looks like one existed, but they pulled it for some reason.

I did see a newsgroup posting that had a link to that PTS, but the target page was removed from the FAA website. Looks like one existed, but they pulled it for some reason.

Hmm... interesting. Looks like I need to give the Federales a call so I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks!

I believe the CFII one was just updated in 2007. The FAA couldn't be diligent enough to update it in two years, could they?

Here are the FAA's online PTSs. Note that the flight instructor and instrument rating PTSs are on the first page.

Does anybody remember the year that they took steep turns out of the PTS?

I am pretty sure I did as steep turn on my Instrument ride in '03

Does anybody remember the year that they took steep turns out of the PTS?

I am pretty sure I did as steep turn on my Instrument ride in '03

The only revisions I have on my hard drive are a '98 and '04. Steep turns were in in '98 and out by '04.

The only revisions I have on my hard drive are a '98 and '04. Steep turns were in in '98 and out by '04.

Thank you much.
That makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why I had to do them on my II ride...post '04.

I didn't fight it too hard though, I just said I don't think you can bust me if I go over 100 ft.

(I didn't bust 100 ft anyway.)

That makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why I had to do them on my II ride...post '04.

The -II came out a bit later, if I recall. Regardless, many examiners don't always adhere to a new PTS when it comes out, particularly when it removes something they're very fond it. I've heard many instrument candidates say their examiner had them do stalls/slow flight, and that hasn't been in the instrument PTS since I've been flying (12 years).

The -II came out a bit later, if I recall. Regardless, many examiners don't always adhere to a new PTS when it comes out, particularly when it removes something they're very fond it. I've heard many instrument candidates say their examiner had them do stalls/slow flight, and that hasn't been in the instrument PTS since I've been flying (12 years).
Don't you think an examiner can righfully use these techniques in evaluating basic instrument control and unusual attitude recovery?

Don't you think an examiner can righfully use these techniques in evaluating basic instrument control and unusual attitude recovery?

If that were the case, the PTS would become rather irrelevant. The following was printed in the "Designee Update", an FAA newsletter for Examiners, years ago (Vol. 13, No. 3, page 2):
Some examiners, based on their background experience and training, at times may feel strongly that, in the interest of aviation safety, a specific maneuver, procedure, technique and/or knowledge item, although not contained in the PTS, should nevertheless be included in their “total evaluation” of an applicant’s suitability for pilot certification. Their intentions may be laudable but, testing on items not specifically included in the appropriate PTS, and/or evaluating answers to oral questions based on reference sources other than those shown in the PTS, is inappropriate and not in keeping with the FAA’s intent of maintaining fairness to both the applicant and the recommending instructor, and objectivity in the evaluation/certification process.​

Back