new career questions

PilotPete

I have been reading this forum and another all day. The advise is great.
Here is my delema. (which sorry to say is not much different than some of the others.)
I have always wanted to be a pilot, but have always been to busy with raising a family and building a business and now I find myself still yearning to be a commecial pilot.
My problem is this, I am now 45 yrs old! I am thinking of signing up for an full time school in Fl. (Pheonix East) and in 13 months will have met the min requirements to be an instructor.
I should have aprox, 250 hrs in and it looks like what I have read, I will need closer to 1200. I have the resources to be out of work for aprox 2 yrs. Or with part time work, even longer. My questions are these;
1) Is it possible to get this done in that amount of time?
2) Will I be hireable at the age of 47 with min. flying experience??
3) What type of pay range can be expected at that time?
I realize that flying for Delta etc. is not going to be an option do to required experience and no college. But, Is there a place in this field for me?? (maybe regionals?)
Thanks for your time,
Pete

[ QUOTE ]

in 13 months will have met the min requirements to be an instructor.
I should have aprox, 250 hrs in and it looks like what I have read, I will need closer to 1200. I have the resources to be out of work for aprox 2 yrs. Or with part time work, even longer. My questions are these;
1) Is it possible to get this done in that amount of time?
2) Will I be hireable at the age of 47 with min. flying experience??
3) What type of pay range can be expected at that time?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) It is possible, but I do not find it typical. I would tack on an extra 30-50% on top of any estimate. I'd figure on an average in an accelerated program of about 2 years, 3/4 to full time.
2) If you're looking to instruct, sure. You should even be marketable to select fragments of the industry at 50, with some instruction hours under your belt.
3) I wouldn't expect anything out of the starting gate higher than $24,000. That might even be high.

-mox

Thank Mox,
Question, when you say a starting position of 24k. (or less) Would that be a flying job, or sitting next to someone as an instructor, flying circles around the airport for 5 yrs???
At what point does someone land a job flying (even cargo) to someplace else??
Thanks,
Pete

*Generally* (I like that word), most jobs won't upen up until you meet the Pt. 135 mins., which is 1200tt, etc. and have maybe 100 hrs. multi. Some regionals hire with less, but I personally view 1200 hrs. tt as the holy grail, as I think others do as well.

MF

[ QUOTE ]

Question, when you say a starting position of 24k. (or less) Would that be a flying job, or sitting next to someone as an instructor, flying circles around the airport for 5 yrs???
Thanks,
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found basic instructing (single engine piston) or indoc into a FO position average salery is about $24k. I agree with MF on the hours for cargo or regional.

[ QUOTE ]
. . .Would that be a flying job, or sitting next to someone as an instructor, flying circles around the airport for 5 yrs???

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Darn! I thought I'd been flying all this time as a flight instructor....
grin.gif

When you're a flight instructor, you're definately flying the airplane! And not all of the flying is around the airport....unless I'm doing pattern work, I'm trying to get as far away from that airport as I can!!

Flying in my airport's pattern is asking to die....
grin.gif

"Tune Traffic, Ummm, Si-mee-nowl 5-7-8-3-W, up in the north at thirty-six hundred, headin south, we gon' land on wun, anybody out there"?

"Whatchoo doing up there, Johnny...I thought Momma dun told you to gon'on 'n' cut that lawn"

"Bobby! She don' know Imout here flyin' today..."

And on...and on....and on....

grin.gif

Anyhoo...don't look at flight instructing as a bad thing...it's great!!

[ QUOTE ]

Flying in my airport's pattern is asking to die....
grin.gif

"Tune Traffic, Ummm, Si-mee-nowl 5-7-8-3-W, up in the north at thirty-six hundred, headin south, we gon' land on wun, anybody out there"?

"Whatchoo doing up there, Johnny...I thought Momma dun told you to gon'on 'n' cut that lawn"

"Bobby! She don' know Imout here flyin' today..."

And on...and on....and on....

grin.gif

Anyhoo...don't look at flight instructing as a bad thing...it's great!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy I hear ya.. There's a couple airports like that around here. Drives me nutso when these guys use the freq to have a conversation about their weekend.
banghead.gif

That's when you key the mike and scream "STFU! ...thank you."

Just wanted to say Thanks and let everyone know what I have decided, incase there are others I the same situation.
I have decided on taking the time this winter to get my private pilot. My son at the same time is going to FL. to start a year of school to go all the way to MEII. (a little more than a year). By that time I will have had my feet wet for a year, and I feel can better decide if I want to go further. Judging by my experience and my sons. If at that time I still really want it, I will shut down the shop and go for it.
I figure a year shouldn't make too much difference at this time. And the safety of being able to back down in a year rather than being in over my head at 46 is comforting to me. Guess I am showing my age.
Thanks for the advice,
Pete

That's a great decision; good luck to the both of you.

The PPL should give you a good feel for if you can close up shop and get other ratings/certificates. My training has brought my family closer to me because I get to "teach them" all of the things I experience, even though they don't know anything about flying. I think that while you get your PPL & your son is in training it could give you some common ground about the good days, the bad and the inbetween.
smile.gif

If your son does go all the way through MEI, he will even be able to teach you (which could cut down on your costs.
smile.gif

I agree with you, a year shouldn't make a difference if you want to instruct or even try for a job with 135 operations since the 60 year age limit isn't a factor.

Good luck & keep us posted on both your progress.

-mox

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BWHahahaha.
grin.gif
spin2.gif
I will try that next time just for the reaction. "STFU.... *unkey mike* ........shhhhshhshshshhshhhshh silence. Yeah.. I'd crack a smile for that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought FAA record all radio conversation. I always give this advise when I am working at FBO - local altimeter 700 feet. Don't ask me the current active and wind condition if you fly over top of airport and look at wind socks.

adreamer

[ QUOTE ]
<snip> Don't ask me the current active and wind condition if you fly over top of airport and look at wind socks.

adreamer

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure all the charter and fractional and corporate pilots enjoy that response too. That is exactly what they want to do when time is money; spend precious minutes overflying the field to spot the wind sock, determine wind and pattern directions, fly out of the pattern area, descend to pattern alltitude, enter the pattern and land. Thank you very much for your assistance.
rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I thought FAA record all radio conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the FAA record conversations at an uncontrolled field? There's no ATC there...
wink.gif

Back