Meal plan for the extended stay hotel

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Looks like ill be spending about a month and a half in an extended stay hotel. I want to save money, but also avoid putting 10 pounds on eating out all of the time.

I'm planning on hitting a grocery store once a week, wondering if anyone has any meal plans or suggestions for quick, easy, cheap, healthy hotel room meals.

I'd like to go to the grocery with a shopping list rather than walking around just picking things off the shelf (I am a marketer's dream)

I always bring dried soups overseas for me, along with some not so healthy alternatives...a block of velveeta (homemade mac & cheese), and the cook and serve pasta sides. Then, when I'm here, I'll pick up stuff I need to finish the soups (meats, beans, and anything else needed). I know the stuff probably is not that good for me, but it works in a pinch, and is easy to make.

Hummus with pretzels, vegetables, pita chips or tortillas. Beef jerky, smoked/canned/ packaged salmon, peanut/almond butter. Guacamole.... definitely get some guacamole!

I basically survive on oatmeal on the road. It gets really old, but saves a ton of money and is relatively healthy.

They're addictive.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372871368.952961.jpg

Aren't they, SeanD

Fresh fruit. Avocado. Bagged salad mix. Grated bagged cheese. Canned chicken if you dont want to cook, can throw it in your salad and/or make sandwiches. Fresh sliced deli meats for sandwiches. Groceries with the extended deli salad bars often have some good pasta's and such you can get a container of that to keep in your hotel fridge.

Great ideas guys! Thanks. I was also pondering a cheap crock pot to have dinner waiting when I get home. Don't know too many good crock pot recipes though. Suppose a few lean cuisine meals would work though they always leave me hungry.

Crock pot is not a bad idea.

I am a HUGE fan of making a big container of black beans and another of brown rice. Alone, those two meet a bunch of nutritional requirements. Chopping up onions and a sweet citrus fruit (like mango) and adding to it is surprisingly tasty - especially with cilantro and salsa.

Point being, black beans and brown rice make an excellent base for variation, and it's reeeeeaaaaally good for you.

A friend of mine once referred to the prepared, just-add-water meals as "inflatable food." I started to avoid those when I saw the sodium levels. Remember, we're old guys and don't process that stuff so well anymore. :)

Quionoa - High protein & filling. Throw on some Frank's Red Hot or whatever seasoning you like. - I keep a rice cooker at the hotel

Vacuum packed tuna

And of course, fruits & veggies to make salads

Back