The LAX commute, three month redux

Recently-unearthed footage of me driving the CRJ as fast as the segment speed limits permitted:
giphy.gif

Speeding in a CRJ2? You would have to be driving a Prius and the cops chasing you on a segway. And they catch you.

Not sure if they still have it, but the Westin connected to the terminal gave us a special rate when I was there. I think I only paid something like $100/nt.

That deal has LONG since gone. Even when it was available, the FAs would snap up all those rooms instantaneously.

Going rate around the dee-tee-dub these days is $50-55 for "clean enough" to $75-80 for something with carpet from this decade.

In general, though, hotel prices are in orbit across the board. Even your garden variety Marriyard off the interstate outside of East Butthole, Missouri, is going to nick you for $140/night. Anything actually near anywhere is going to be higher, and if you're actually anywhere close to where anyone wants to be it's going to be $250.

That deal has LONG since gone. Even when it was available, the FAs would snap up all those rooms instantaneously.

Going rate around the dee-tee-dub these days is $50-55 for "clean enough" to $75-80 for something with carpet from this decade.

In general, though, hotel prices are in orbit across the board. Even your garden variety Marriyard off the interstate outside of East Butthole, Missouri, is going to nick you for $140/night. Anything actually near anywhere is going to be higher, and if you're actually anywhere close to where anyone wants to be it's going to be $250.
Sad but true. Our crew rate at the Doubletree Rosemont (which is a pretty satisfactory place to be) is $127 out the door, taxes included. While not exorbitant, I know the retail rates are higher.

I could squeeze into ORD hotels very occasionally for cheap, but that was a major factor in stopping commuting.

That, and I sat on my couch and slept in my bed this morning (albeit poorly) instead of in a crashpad.

Yup. Some genius got fired for time travelling after hi6s about it, alleged carpet dance when caught first time and mere months before flowing. It's like kleptomania.

Starbucks in Indy? Blasphemy! Copper Moon, something like buck eighty for any size coffee for crew.
Funny, because our gates are right there at the end of the A concourse, and I’ll still walk to the ‘bucks. Copper Moon just doesn’t do it for me.
$1.06 for a medium in Dulles at Dunkin ftw.

add $100 to those figures for LAX.
I have erred. Will DTW take me back? :). Have you already changed the locks?!

Funny, because our gates are right there at the end of the A concourse, and I’ll still walk to the ‘bucks. Copper Moon just doesn’t do it for me.
$1.06 for a medium in Dulles at Dunkin ftw.
it takes just as long to walk to the dunkin by the B gates as it does to stand in line at starbucks, plus you get to ride up and down the escalators to escape RJ land (wheee)
although that dunkin is meh at best. one morning they just didn't have coffee. Like, why did you even show up to work?

I keep seeing his name on open time trips, word is out!

I would have drilled him more effectively but the other jumpseater wouldn’t shut up about “blah blah blah, my new wife wanted to move to Hawaii, blah blah blah, so I bid LAX and live in ATL, blah blah blah, but then she put the kibosh on Hawaii so I’m stuck commuting...blah blah blah”.... Aye yi yi, leave some stuff at home.

I'm on perma-reserve. Maybe I’m the one getting stuck with the guys CAs are calling out sick on ;)

No idea who that ATL guy was. I only know one CA there and he’s pretty chill/cool. A FO I knew out of ATL left the company for the big 3.

Back