The LAX commute, three month redux

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
1. Not a Time Saver. Even though my commute flight went from 3-ish hours to about 60 minutes, I actually spend as much time “block to block“ commuting. Primarily because PHX-DTW, I could book a jumpseat and know i was going to get on the flight. Since it’s all connection or off-line commuting, I have to leave enough time for ”Plans A-E” and often time I end up spending hours on end in LAX before my flight leaves which often exceeds the amount of time I’d spend getting to DTW. Most of the flights in the 320 package end after 10pm and there are no options to get back to PHX. The only options at this point are sleeping in the quiet room in the pilot lounge or getting a hotel. The first (viable) flight is about 0630 so, considering statement #2 (below), it doesn’t make any economic sense to get a hotel. However, I’ll spend 7+ hours at the airport in order to wait for an hour flight home. Compared to DTW where it would range from running like a madman to make a 20 minute connection home, to about a two hour sit before flying home. A shorter flight does not mean a shorter commute AT ALL

2. Fewer Hotels at a Much Higher Cost. I averaged about a hotel and a half per month in DTW and even staying at the nicer places on the Marriott program, my costs rarely were more than about $70. In LAX, it’s been about a room per month which generally START at $150 and a majority of the trips on the 320 arrive after the last connection to get back to PHX.

3. Better Food Options. You’re about a 15 minute walk from the terminal to Westchester with coffee shops, ramen shops, sandwich shops, Sushi, that famous In N Out Burger and a grocery story that airport food is a worse case scenario option.

4. Crowded! Hot damn, it feels like literally everyone industry-wide that based in LA appears to be living in PHX. So if you’re one of 15 jumpseaters, it’s fairly normal. Often, you’ll arrive at the gate and the other pilots have been trying all morning to make it out of PHX or LAX.

5.. West Coast Best Coast - CHANGE MY MIND!

6. Southwest - Best jumpseat and most pro-jumpseater policy in the business. They shouldn’t pay for drinks on OAL when non-revving, AT ALL.

Last edited:
I hang out at the Bob Hope USO at LAX in the old arch restaurant when im there, before heading to SLI. Quiet rooms, free food etc.

When people ask me why I didn’t move to LAS or PHX to commute to reserve at LAX, this thread pretty much nails it.

Except #5. West sucks. East rocks. :)

Open a base there again, and I’ll be there in a New York minute. :) As crazy as it may sound, NJ is far cheaper than CA.

I agree with your assessment on the PHX-LAX commute, that jives with what I hear from the guys at AS who do this commute.

1. Not a Time Saver. Even though my commute flight went from 3-ish hours to about 60 minutes, I actually spend as much time “block to block“ commuting. Primarily because PHX-DTW, I could book a jumpseat and know i was going to get on the flight. Since it’s all connection or off-line commuting, I have to leave enough time for ”Plans A-E” and often time I end up spending hours on end in LAX before my flight leaves which often exceeds the amount of time I’d spend getting to DTW. Most of the flights in the 320 package end after 10pm and there are no options to get back to PHX. The only options at this point are sleeping in the quiet room in the pilot lounge or getting a hotel. The first (viable) flight is about 0630 so, considering statement #2 (below), it doesn’t make any economic sense to get a hotel. However, I’ll spend 7+ hours at the airport in order to wait for an hour flight home. Compared to DTW where it would range from running like a madman to make a 20 minute connection home, to about a two hour sit before flying home. A shorter flight does not mean a shorter commute AT ALL

2. Fewer Hotels at a Much Higher Cost. I averaged about a hotel and a half per month in DTW and even staying at the nicer places on the Marriott program, my costs rarely were more than about $70. In LAX, it’s been about a room per month which generally START at $150 and a majority of the trips on the 320 arrive after the last connection to get back to PHX.

3. Better Food Options. You’re about a 15 minute walk from the terminal to Westchester with coffee shops, ramen shops, sandwich shops, Sushi, that famous In N Out Burger and a grocery story that airport food is a worse case scenario option.

4. Crowded! Hot damn, it feels like literally everyone industry-wide that based in LA appears to be living in PHX. So if you’re one of 15 jumpseaters, it’s fairly normal. Often, you’ll arrive at the gate and the other pilots have been trying all morning to make it out of PHX or LAX.

6. Southwest - Best jumpseat and most pro-jumpseater policy in the business. They shouldn’t pay for drinks on OAL when non-revving, AT ALL.
Its all worth it to live in PHX I’m my opinion. Nice running into you in PHX a few weeks back by the way.

DTW airport hotels were simply amazing. I’m not even talking about La Quinta/Clarion type either. As a regional FO what I was able to afford was unbelievable.

Not sure if they still have it, but the Westin connected to the terminal gave us a special rate when I was there. I think I only paid something like $100/nt.

This sounds terrible. Are MSP and SLC similar i take it?

Tickets between LAX and PHX are not $50.

Additionally, if you’re getting done at 2200L, you’ll need to charter a jet because there are no flights to buy that fabled $50 ticket.

I’m sure Jersey would love to have you back! OKBYEEEEEeeeeee! :)
You’re all nuts... the Midwest has sampling’s from both coasts and is therefore the best... everything from the famous Italian fine dining experience of Sbarros to the magical delicacies of the California Pizza Kitchen... it’s undeniable that that the middle of the country is plumply graced by exquisite options.

You’re all nuts... the Midwest has sampling’s from both coasts and is therefore the best... everything from the famous Italian fine dining experience of Sbarros to the magical delicacies of the California Pizza Kitchen... it’s undeniable that that the middle of the country is plumply graced by exquisite options.

Lived in Omaha. Liked it.

Lived in MI and PA. Liked it.

Internship in Oregon = :def:

Living in California = :def::def::def:

Now LA leaders want the CA Governor to recognize homelessness as a natural disaster in order to use federal funds to “fight” the homeless problem. LOL

Back