AT-SA exam gouge(what to expect/how to prepare)

DAMN I missed the window. I applied, there was a problem with my resume attachment, so I went to re-apply and the clock ticked 12 and the system locked me out of the app and there is no record of an application now. Damn it. FML.

They used to hire for 2-3 weeks, it would be my luck it's exactly 1 week this time. :( I had read when it was first announced that the hiring window would be 28JAN to 7FEB and marked that down, but when I saw the window had opened on the 24th instead, I forgot that would significantly effect the end date. Damn it. Guess I'm out this round, should get 1 more chance I guess, maybe 2 depending.

Figures, get well-qualified 3 years in a row, don't get hired due to the algorithm. They eliminate the algorithm, and my dumbass misses the window and accidentally begins the application like 8 minutes prior to close. Figures.

Last edited:
For chits and giggles send your resume to some of the contract towers. If you manage to get certified and get 52 weeks experience you’ll qualify for the prior experience bids and 35 year age limit

If you don't make it into an ATC class in time, I'd encourage you to get your dispatch license and apply internally with WN, as long as you don't mind moving to DAL. Pay scale is very good, and it sounds like you would have an excellent background for it. (There are also air traffic coordinator people in the dispatch office who work directly with ATC on slot times, etc. whom you may deal with already in your current job....they are all dispatchers who applied and transferred into those positions.) The schedule, from what I understand, is much better than what a government controller typically experiences. Good luck with your aviation career, whatever area it takes you in!

Wow, amazing information here, thank you!
What are your thoughts on prep sites? I heard many good things on ATCPrep and JobTestPrep. The first is gamified and the other is much more comprehensive but also pricy. And there's also the app ATSAPro that I read online that it's not bad.

Wow, amazing information here, thank you!
What are your thoughts on prep sites? I heard many good things on ATCPrep and JobTestPrep. The first is gamified and the other is much more comprehensive but also pricy. And there's also the app ATSAPro that I read online that it's not bad.
I don't believe anyone who is now a controller on this forum has ever taken the new test (AT-SA), but for the old test, just make sure you can do basic math and play video games that require multitasking and puzzles like where's waldo and photo hunt. One of my coworkers participated in the study when they developed the new test, but with the COVID19 alternate crew schedule, I never see her, so I won't be able to ask her. I didn't study for the old test at all and I got a 94%.

So I heard a while back all the testing was cancelled, but I know the scores are supposed to be good for 2 years, meaning I have at least 1 Well Qualified still on the table. Anyone have any updates? Staffing was already bad, now with COVID, I'm hearing horror stories from friends at NorCal and ZOA.

So I heard a while back all the testing was cancelled, but I know the scores are supposed to be good for 2 years, meaning I have at least 1 Well Qualified still on the table. Anyone have any updates? Staffing was already bad, now with COVID, I'm hearing horror stories from friends at NorCal and ZOA.

staffing is now over staffed lol. In my area we went from 9 positions to having 1-2 open. We are still working 5 days on 10 days off. When things do open up to normal though we are completely boned. There’s 3-5 people in my area who are eligible to retire and have said that as soon as normal schedule comes back they’re retiring, so that will drop us down to around 22 certified controllers from our 100% staffed number of 63.

staffing is now over staffed lol. In my area we went from 9 positions to having 1-2 open. We are still working 5 days on 10 days off. When things do open up to normal though we are completely boned. There’s 3-5 people in my area who are eligible to retire and have said that as soon as normal schedule comes back they’re retiring, so that will drop us down to around 22 certified controllers from our 100% staffed number of 63.
Interesting, not the case in some other locations from what I've heard from friends, even with these low traffic levels, NorCal and others have been struggling(though NorCal just got 50 transfers from elsewhere, but they haven't started training yet). Some of my friends were telling me they've been seeing ATMs(or equivalent) helping some people get direct hired with OKC classes closed. They seem to think maybe an ATM could help push my WQ score as soon as they take any non-prior folks.

Some of my friends were telling me they've been seeing ATMs(or equivalent) helping some people get direct hired with OKC classes closed.

OKC has been opened for like 2-3 months. They’re still running classes. Only direct hire by ATM is for people who were already certified controllers in the FAA and then resigned for at least a year. Then you can apply directly to a facility you want to work at and it’s thr atm who decides to hire you.

OKC has been opened for like 2-3 months. They’re still running classes. Only direct hire by ATM is for people who were already certified controllers in the FAA and then resigned for at least a year. Then you can apply directly to a facility you want to work at and it’s thr atm who decides to hire you.
Ah must be a backlog, I heard those who applied last time around never took their tests.

Back