Giving Back, Effeciently. Any ideas?

Propilot

So now that I'm in a somewhat stable job I would like to give back. Anyone got some good ideas about how to do that efficiently? I don't want to just feel good and waste time. I started volunteering at the local animal shelter but then thought that was stupid since there are plenty of teenagers who an walk dogs. I should be using my experience in a more meaningful way...something that leverages my experience.

I'm a 121 pilot. I don't have a ton of free time with all my other commitments but I should be able to give about 1 day a week.

I was thinking about giving presentations about being a pilot to local schools. K-12 and maybe even aviation colleges although I doubt I would be invited back (to the colleges) after I gave them the straight poop on it.

I was an Eagle Scout, but I do not agree with their religious and homophobic policies and thus don't want to associate with them.

I also thought about Big Brothers Big Sisters, although the liability there scares me.

Anyway. Thoughts? I value my time, so Im not just looking for a resume builder, I actually want to do some good and leverage my effort to maximize its effect. No dog walking.

....thanks

Do what speaks to YOU.

it doesn't matter if it's somehing a lot of people already do, or if it's cloche. Find something you are passionate about and apply your efforts there.

I'm not sure if there is any "I'm doing this to look good on my resume" in your intent. But one of the things I took away from the United FFD open house was that the airlines aren't looking for people who volunteer so they know they are hiring a good person. Instead they are trying to find people who are passionate about somehing other than flying airplanes. They don't want you to just check a volunteeer box, they want you to have an interest in something that is strong enough that it makes you want to get involved.

Do what speaks to YOU.

it doesn't matter if it's somehing a lot of people already do, or if it's cloche. Find something you are passionate about and apply your efforts there.

I'm not sure if there is any "I'm doing this to look good on my resume" in your intent. But one of the things I took away from the United FFD open house was that the airlines aren't looking for people who volunteer so they know they are hiring a good person. Instead they are trying to find people who are passionate about somehing other than flying airplanes. They don't want you to just check a volunteeer box, they want you to have an interest in something that is strong enough that it makes you want to get involved.

Well said!

I recently started working with our hotel committee and just had my app approved by Apple (hooray!). Combining my interest in web design/software development with a tangential aspect of my job was a way I could give something back (volunteer).

So now that I'm in a somewhat stable job I would like to give back. Anyone got some good ideas about how to do that efficiently? I don't want to just feel good and waste time. I started volunteering at the local animal shelter but then thought that was stupid since there are plenty of teenagers who an walk dogs. I should be using my experience in a more meaningful way...something that leverages my experience.

I'm a 121 pilot. I don't have a ton of free time with all my other commitments but I should be able to give about 1 day a week.

I was thinking about giving presentations about being a pilot to local schools. K-12 and maybe even aviation colleges although I doubt I would be invited back (to the colleges) after I gave them the straight poop on it.

I was an Eagle Scout, but I do not agree with their religious and homophobic policies and thus don't want to associate with them.

I also thought about Big Brothers Big Sisters, although the liability there scares me.

Anyway. Thoughts? I value my time, so Im not just looking for a resume builder, I actually want to do some good and leverage my effort to maximize its effect. No dog walking.

....thanks

Volunteer ski patrol.

Bunch of ways to get involved. As what was already mentioned, the question is what speaks to you. Have you thought of volunteering for a non-profit that you like? Perhaps volunteering for a board position? What about with the AOPA and keeping airports open? Humanitarian groups are always looking for those to cold call places for donations etc. You could also tutor kids, maybe there is school that would love to have you help kids in math and science by bringing a practical use into the cockpit. Share you passions with others? Etc.

Just some thoughts.

If your time is too valuable, or you worry over whether the objects of your charity are not worthy, or you have minor philosophical differences with the charity organization, you are not cut out for charity work. You will find that charity organizations are not the most efficient organizations in the world and you will always find that poor people are too lazy, or stupid, or drug addicted to be worthy of your charity.
My wife and I delivered groceries to a family two nights ago who said that they had not had anything to eat in two days. I'm sure that I could have easily rationalized why we should not have done that. If I had asked enough questions I might have found that they didn't agree with me on race or homosexuality or religion. Or maybe they spent what little money they had unwisely. But that's not charity. Charity is given freely.
And don't confuse advocacy with charity. Giving money to your favorite "cause" is not charity in my mind.
Good luck on your quest to "give back"

Sorry to hear about scouts. My son made Eagle too but we are still active. They aren't pushing the agenda in out district. I'm a merit badge counselor in multiple areas not just Engineering and Aviation. I like that I'm only focused on the badge with the boys.

....thanks
Vets, Vets, Vets and Vets. Contact Wounded Warriors to see if they have a chapter in your area. Get on the net and look at the other worthwhile Vet charities/organizations in your area. I guarantee you will find a slew of them and one that suits your schedule and meets their needs.

You can do everything from volunteering at their fundraisers, making up backbacks with items in them for homeless Vets, volunteering at groups who reach out to Vets through various programs to get them the help (medical, benefits, job training, physical etc.) that they need. You can take disable Vets bike riding, hiking, surfing, basketball, all sorts of sports activities. You can feed homeless Vets, help the families of Vets in a myriad of ways.

Contact the local VA hospital and go there/volunteer to visit Vets and help them with what ever. They have many different types of volunteer positions. Start a fundraiser yourself and pick a project, whether it's collecting monies for artificial limbs, wheel chairs or whatever. There are charities for Vets that go to their homes and make them easier/more comfortable for disabled issues, like building ramps, shower seats and rails, raised toilets, special equipment to get in and out of bed with, all sorts of things. Help Vets looking for work, to write resumes and practice job interviews with them. Go around and start hitting up business where you may have a contact, to hire and train a Vet. Help to train dogs at the organizations that supply companion dogs for Vets with physical and emotional issues. You can drive Vets who cannot drive themselves, to their doctor appointments. Call on corporations to donate funds. You can have the family of a wounded Vet who come to see him at a hospital on his return home and have them stay with you and save them the cost of meals, transportation to the facility and a hotel. I can think of dozens of more activities that you could volunteer for to help Vets and their families.

There will be nothing in your life more rewarding than helping those who sacrificed and lost so much for their country. Until every single Vet has a job, a safe place to live, their medical needs met and their benefits, we cannot rest. You will meet some wonderful, honorable and courageous men and women in the process. Get your friends, neighbors, family and co-workers involved. No one who had selflessly served this nation should never find themselves on the streets, living in pain, without comfort and without hope.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that only about 50 cents on every dollar given to Wounded Warrior goes to program expenses. They spend ungodly amounts of money on fundraising and salaries.

Volunteer as A CFI. It'll help a business out. Or go to your local charter company and volunteer your time. One business at a time.

:sarcasm::confused::cool:

Seriously, help a Vet. It's very rewarding. Or volunteer at the local USO and help those serving. Volunteer at the local aviation school or even the local elementary, junior high, or high school level. Help at the local animal shelter, or whatever your passion, find a way to help.

Whatever you decide to do with your time, I applaud the sentiment and desire. IMHO, such things are the saving grace of our messy and occasionally awful tribe of primates. It's also a good reminder for me that when I hit the green hills of home (soon, and with any luck permanently), I need to go forth and do likewise. *two thumbs way up*.

I should add that when I was younger, I volunteered at a...what do they call them now? Well, it was an old person's home, whatever the current nomenclature is. There's a fair amount of misery, but speaking to someone about their life and what they've learned is both educational and humbling. And yes, some of them were Vets. Feels good to let someone know that they're, eh, what? Still relevant? At least to someone. And they seem for the most part to enjoy it, too.

I've had fun with Habitat for Humanity. Everyone wants to do the big new house builds. There's not that many vols for the roof repair or water heater install jobs. I grew up in a relatively well to-do area of northern California, and I was shocked at the number of elderly folks who had barely-livable houses.

Keep in mind that only about 50 cents on every dollar given to Wounded Warrior goes to program expenses. They spend ungodly amounts of money on fundraising and salaries.
Not true/correct. Wounded Warriors spends a lot of money for commercials and fundraisers and getting not only their name out there, but clearly putting the plight of Vets out to the American public. They also employ a huge number of Vets and pay them a decent salary. They have over 250 employees. This is remember, a nation wide program. Their dozens of programs for Vets are incredible. You have to understand their business model, mission and purpose.

They do not rely heavily on for-profit solicitation companies to raise money. They also do not pay telemarketers to drum up donations.
Instead, they use a combination of fundraising events, corporate sponsorships, advertising and direct mail appeals. All of this, cost money. Wounded Warriors spends most of the money it raises counseling veterans and running sports and educational programs for them. Last year alone, they gave about $880,000 to nearly 100 veterans in the form of college scholarships and stipends for its year-long Track Program, which helps Veterans transition to college and the workplace.

From their website and financials: "Based on our fiscal year 2013 audited financial statements ending September 30, 2013, 80 percent of total expenditures went to provide services and programs for wounded service members and their families. For more information, please view our financials page."

To see their financial breakdown: http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/mission/financials.aspx

Last edited:
Locally there are several fitness groups that regularly look for volunteers for race events (5K, 10K marathons, triathlons, etc). While you are directly helping the race staff, Most races have a goal of raising funds for local charities/causes.

Allow me to propose an alternative to WWP for those that are looking for that type of volunteering or giving.

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

http://www.specialops.org

Yep, a great suggestion. Almost a perfect score from Charity Navigator.

@A Life Aloft, the numbers don't lie. They're required to report them to the government yearly. For 2013, 57% of revenue went to program expenses, and 37% went to fundraising.

I'm a big fan of Charity Navigator. I always encourage everyone to use it before making contributions.

Do what speaks to YOU.

This.

What do you actually enjoy? What hobbies do you have? Get involved with a group that does things that you like to do, and have some experience doing. You don't have to be the best at whatever it is, just showing up and working will help everyone involved. If it's not something you really enjoy, it will be difficult to sustain your presence long-term.

I like riding motorcycles. A lot. I'd probably rather ride a motorcycle than do just about anything else. I volunteer with a local non-profit organization that is a track-day provider for motorcycles of all kinds. We cater to everyone from complete beginners through veteran racers on all types of bikes. All of our volunteers do everything. Setup, registration, tech inspection, track control, control riding, and instruction. It's massively fun for me to follow someone who may be new to the track or be a little timid, and then give them a tow at a slightly quicker pace on a better line through a section they were struggling with. When you get back to the pits, their eyes are usually as big as dinner plates.

If you take an activity that you love doing, and use your skills to help other people who like doing the same thing.... it makes your time spent that much more fun.

Back