Dress for checkrides...

This subject never ceases to amaze me. It's almost like DPE's have gained this mythic standing in aviation.

Not mythic, but a very good standing! I have learned that having a good relationship with DPE's can be very valuable.

All of these DPE's have a good network in the aviation community. There are a few that I know I could call up and they would do their hardest to find me a job if I needed it.

DPEs can detect a " I'm paying you!" attitude from a mile away. Better be 100% within PTS!;)

For the three checkrides that I have had it has always been shorts and a t-shirt. However, when I take my CFI ride it's going to be shirt and tie status.

I wore a shirt, slacks and ties to all of mine, except my instructor add-ons, since I did those in between lessons and I wore my work uniform. I like to look like a professional for checkrides.

So your avatar isnt an example of what to wear for a checkride?

:yup:

I, for one, do not like polo shirts. I own a couple, but I think years of wearing them at tradeshows pretty much soured me.

I wore nice jeans (no holes) and a button-down oxford and loafers for my PPL. In fact, it's what I usually wear to everything these days...
preppy may be dorky but it's appropos in most situations. :)

Some people don't realize that most professions you have to get your nose dirty every once in a while.

You might be paying him/her but if you dont make a first impression you might be in for a looong day! Or a very short one. ;)

Baj,

Because your paying the examiner would you think it would be no big deal if you were late for a checkride?

I wore jeans and a pink angora wool sweater to my PPL ride.

I like pink. And I'm a girl so I can get away with it.

ry%3D400

I think it's fine to show up for a PPL, IR, ME, etc ride in a nice pair of jeans and a shirt. Make sure the jeans FIT, don't have them hanging off your ass showing off your undershorts. They should be free of stains, odors, rips and/or tears. Same goes for your shirt. I think a collared shirt is appropriate, but again I have to say the most important thing is that it is clean, odor-free, and in good condition (no rips/holes).

Business attire: not necessary. Just make sure what you're wearing is clean and in good repair. Wear deodorant. Please.

I see no need to dress to impress the examiner. I wore shorts and a t-shirt to my PPL ride, as did he.

They are there to assess your knowledge of the subject and your abilities in the aircraft, not how well you can put an outfit together. As long as what you wear is not offensive or potentially dangerous, our head instructor says flips flops are a no go, I dont see any problems.

I think your disposition and additude will have much more of an affect. Friendly and outgoing with an eagerness to learn while also being confident, I think you are fine in whatever you wear. Bitter and grumpy with an arrogant know it all attidute, I dont care if you are in a 3-piece suit, your still coming off as an ass.

You know the more I think about it I'd say that below the commercial level jeans (or shorts if it's hot) are OK. But it never hurts to be just slightly over dressed for the ocasion. Even in Hawaii I cannot imagine going to a CFI ride without a tie.
Also the examiner has so much authority and so little oversight that it's always a good idea to try to impress in every way.

I draw a line. For my instrument I wore t-shirt and shorts because it was in the 100's. But when it's cold I might wear nice pants and a long sleeve. I'm cheap, but I know that examiners won't fail you because of your appearance.

When I scheduled my checkride with the DPE, he told me: "...and don't dress up, I think that ####ing dressing up #### is ########."

That was basically word for word. He is known around the area for his very profane vocabulary.

He also convinced me to take my coat off before getting in the airplane (it was about 20 degress F outside). The conversation went like this:

"You gonna take your coat off before you get in?"
"No, I'll be fine"
"Well, be warned I like flying around as if I was in a sauna"
"I think I'll be alright"
"You might want to take your coat off"
"I'm okay"
"Just take it off, trust me"
"............okay"

I don't remember what I wore for my PPL checkride; I was 17 and that was quite some time ago. But I agree you should make every effort to look the part of a professional aviator that you seek to portray. Suit and tie may be taking it a bit too far, depending on the atmosphere of the flight school, but I'd look at what the CFIs are wearing and try to emulate them. That ususally means at least long pants with nice shoes, belt, and collared shirt tucked in (business casual). Let the examiner know you're taking the evaulation seriously without going overboard. Especially if it's anything above PPL--look the part!

I don't remember where I heard it, but dress fo rthe job you want. One measure of professionalism for a CFI is to dress accordingly. If your first student shows up and you're wearing cutoff shorts, a raggy t-shirt and flip flops, more than likely he's notgoingto take you that serious. Dress to impress...............

For the guys:
Two pairs of sunglasses (worn simultaneously), white long-sleeve button-up dress shirt with long tie, navy blue or black v-neck sweater (if it's cold out), leather jacket with some sort of aviation inspired winged pin or patch on left breast (regardless of temperature outside), white silk scarf, navy blue or black polyester pants, dark argyle socks, black leather Gucci shoes or polished cowboy boots (don't tuck your pantlegs in your boots).

Don't forget the bling...accessorize with a leather briefcase (even if it's empty), wear an airplane or winged tie-tac, several huge gawdy rings, and a Breitling watch. Get a haircut and put in lots of gel (you can't have too much), and dont forget to shave (your face and neck at a minimum).

For the ladies:
Less is more. :p

Back