Dress for checkrides...

I realize many people getting PPLs have no career aspirations. Still, if you want the operating privilege, you should come across as someone who at least approaches aviation with a professional attitude. I have no desire to become a lawyer, but that doesn't mean I'll wear a T-shirt to court.

If I were to go to court, I would be there in my nicest business suit and heels. There's no way I'd show up to fly my Archer for my instrument checkride in the same outfit. Entirely different circumstances.

A "professional attitude" encompasses a great deal more than the clothes on one's back. I'm not saying it's okay to look like a slob for your checkrides. I do not think it is! But one does not have to wear a tie to have a professional attitude. Dress neatly, be clean, wear socks that match but be more hung up on how you carry yourself, the attitude you display to the DE in your tone of voice & your manners. And know your stuff, no matter what you wear if you don't know your stuff you're not going to pass!

If I were to go to court, I would be there in my nicest business suit and heels. There's no way I'd show up to fly my Archer for my instrument checkride in the same outfit. Entirely different circumstances.

A "professional attitude" encompasses a great deal more than the clothes on one's back. I'm not saying it's okay to look like a slob for your checkrides. I do not think it is! But one does not have to wear a tie to have a professional attitude. Dress neatly, be clean, wear socks that match but be more hung up on how you carry yourself, the attitude you display to the DE in your tone of voice & your manners. And know your stuff, no matter what you wear if you don't know your stuff you're not going to pass!

I didn't say it was necessary to wear a tie, but if one were to wear dockers and a collared shirt (as opposed to shorts, T-shirt, and flip flops), that would have some kind of impact on the subconscious decisions the examiner makes in the first few minutes of an evaluation as to how the applicant is prepared for the checkride. Like it or not, 90% of your opinion of someone is formed before a word even comes out of their mouth. Obviously, one must meet the standards in the PTS to pass, but in certain borderline cases, I'd be inclined to pass the applicant I felt acted professional (yes, appearance is part of it) versus the applicant who comes across as if the checkride is not a serious matter. There's a reason why doctors, lawyers, businessmen, police officers, and professional pilots dress a certain way. It's to convey a certain image to others that they are competent at what they do. Maybe that's an elementary way to judge someone, but that's the way the subconscious mind works.

Eh, I typed a long response, but figured why bother :)

I know the day of my PPL in jeans & a sweater I looked perfectly appropriate for what I was doing that day.

Perhaps there is no clear right & wrong answer to this question.... as there are a LOT of variables to take into consideration. Geographic location & local attitudes, training environment, etc.

Here's a hint though, if one is wearing khakis & a button down shirt. Iron them! :) Nothing says SLOPPY like wrinkled cotton broadcloth.

You know what did impress the examiner? When I shaved off my sideburns for my CMEL. A change in appearance seemed to make more of an impression than trying to look like an airline captain for my private.

White pilot shirt, black slacks and tie, lots of gel, iPod, and don't forget to leave your flight bag at home and carry all your stuff in a backpack.

:yup::yup::yup::yup: Oh Snap! (Yes, I just said that)

Mike, a pimp? :laff:

Only to the 65 year old man that gets to feel him up while flying his plane. :rolleyes:

Got some, and planning the same trip (with a different girl) this year.

I might not wear the tux while I fly, I don't want it smelling like avgas and "airplane" all night. :buck:

Private- Swim suit (wennie bikini), flip flops, and tie with no shirt

Istrument- Gothic, was really depressed studying for that written. I just kept falling asleep reading those questions. (painted face white and looked like Robert Smith)

Commercial- toga

Multi- leather mini skirt and heavy make-up (this one was the quickest of all of them)

SES- casual attire.

:p

Back