Dress for checkrides...

Here's a synopsis of how I received my commercial certificate...

Me:
"That simulated engine failure in the pattern was nearly the death of us, but check out the crease in these pants!"
Examiner:
"Quite the professional! Which certificate would you like today?"
Me:
"Privaeeerrrr....make it Commercial."
Examiner:
"I'll start typing while you tell me where you found that lovely necktie!"

Maybe it's me, but I always thought the folks who went out of their way to dress up for a checkride were trying to compensate for something else.

Maybe it's me, but I always thought the folks who went out of their way to dress up for a checkride were trying to compensate for something else.

I was actually thanked at the FSDO for dressing up. It makes a good first impression and shows that you are serious about what you are trying to accomplish. All the other checkrides, slacks and a polo were all that were required.

Jeans and a polo shirt for my PPL, probably looked like hell for my Instrument ride (was only a few days after I lost my brother to a flying accident), Slacks and polo for Commercial, the same again for the Multi-Engine addon and work 'uniform' for the ATP (seeing as I was using a company airplane for the ride it seemed appropriate). Work clothes for me consist of khaki's and a button down shirt with the company logo.

The more advanced the checkride, the more I felt I should look smart. Seemed to work out ok for me.

Slacks and with a shirt and tie, no exceptions even when it was 90 out for my PPL. Dress for the job you want not the job you have. While there may be some DPE's that except less than standard dress i havn't run into one yet. You are an ambassador for the industry remember that. Don't let anyone tell you slacks and a shirt and tie make you look like a tool, chances are you'll be wearing them for the rest of your life.

Stomp,
To each their own. If we're going to play "dress up," I'd sooner go to a checkride dressed as an Oompa Loompa before you saw me in a tie. Wait...Oompa Loompas don't wear ties, do they?

Please stop implying that dressing otherwise is an indication that you don't take this industry or your job seriously. Doing so is very narrow-minded.

Thats just stupid and please, don't stretch my words into stupidity.

It isn't that much of a stretch. Showing up looking like a slob is just as unprofessional as showing up late.

We had a guy that showed up for his CFII ride with the feds with some Tshirt that said "rock n roll" on it and some jeans and sneakers. LOL

Especially since the PTS talks about professionalism and personal characteristics for the CFI.

Chills Seggy...the bad ones, not the good ones.

Jeans and a polo for every checkride I've done, except for the 121 ride...

Slacks and with a shirt and tie, no exceptions even when it was 90 out for my PPL. Dress for the job you want not the job you have. While there may be some DPE's that except less than standard dress i havn't run into one yet. You are an ambassador for the industry remember that. Don't let anyone tell you slacks and a shirt and tie make you look like a tool, chances are you'll be wearing them for the rest of your life.

Not everyone who takes a checkride has the ultimate goal of being a pilot as a job.... Some people get a PPL, IR, ME, even a CMEL with no intention what-so-ever of flying as a pilot for their job.

My dad has a CMEL, his own 310, but no pilot-career ambitions at all. ;)

It just shows respect for the examiner. I've worn a shirt and tie to every oral/checkride i've ever taken. If you want to be treated like a professional, dress like a professional.

My opinion only.

Just wondering, various opinions, casual but not sloppy or formal (tie and dress pants).

For my private I just wore jeans and a nice polo but I think from now I will wear dress formally.

I do my rides naked.

I always pass because the examiner wants to escape.

Yes. "Impressions of Excellence". The way you present yourself has great influence in how you are perceived. When you met your current girlfriend/boyfriend what was it that attracted you to them? Most likely their appearance attracted you -- and what was on the inside made you want to stay. That positive first impression is important.

Think of a checkride as an examination. You are going before a government representative in order to verify that your knowledge and skills are sufficient for you to be a private pilot.

My Dad used to say, "Dress for the job you want -- not the job you have."

I used to care 8 years ago when I first got into this business.

Now, I only remember not to wear flip flops, cause some people don't like that.

I just did a checkride last week. Didn't wear flip-flops. Passed.

Yes. "Impressions of Excellence". The way you present yourself has great influence in how you are perceived. When you met your current girlfriend/boyfriend what was it that attracted you to them? Most likely their appearance attracted you -- and what was on the inside made you want to stay. That positive first impression is important.

Think of a checkride as an examination. You are going before a government representative in order to verify that your knowledge and skills are sufficient for you to be a private pilot.

That is very good advice. I will wear a shirt and tie for my PP checkride and future checkrides.

Again though, not everyone taking a PPL ride is an aspiring career pilot.

Many people who have no careers ambitions at all of a piloting career get their PPL.

I think when one gets into the CFI ratings, ATP and obviously airline checkrides of COURSE appearance/dress become much more of a consideration. When one gets a CFI rating, it can probably be assumed (though not necessarily so) that the individual is going to seek employment as a flight instructor. At that point I think think khaki pants and a button down shirt at least should be worn.

But I will stand by my opinion that for the initial ratings, (PPL, IR, ME, etc) that one really should just make sure what they wear is clean, in good repair and I'll even tack on "non-offensive". No T-shirts with slogans/prints that could be considered offensive....

I realize many people getting PPLs have no career aspirations. Still, if you want the operating privilege, you should come across as someone who at least approaches aviation with a professional attitude. I have no desire to become a lawyer, but that doesn't mean I'll wear a T-shirt to court.

Back